No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Politico polling linked above has 2 of the 3 most competitive NC House races as "toss ups" (both currently held by Republicans in districts that went solidly for 45)

Comment

SB, US prosecutors are never "obliged" to prosecute.

And a significant majority of white collar defence lawyers aren't convinced that Kavanaugh would lose a criminal perjury prosecution based on his testimony at these hearings (the standard is quite high). As I've mentioned before, there is a chance that that changes as more of the documents the Republicans withheld become public over the next two years.

Comment

They are expecting to pick up three I'm told.

Comment

That would be good.

Haley is staying until year end, so this looks more like a plan than a reaction to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
            They are expecting to pick up three I'm told.
            Hope so.

Manning, is that's one, was 6 points down in a poll yesterday. Mcready was 4 up, but down in one last week.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              If a house impeachment proceeding shows illegality - such as perjury - would federal prosecutors be obliged to prosecute? And if Kavanugh was locked up, would that be enough to persuade the Senate (I assume the answer is "no" to pretty much anything Kavanaugh might have done, including murder)?
              I don't know if you watched the Frontline doc on Trump's presidency last week but one of the interviewees reckoned that if the Democrats win the house they will subpoena the White House, and presumably members of Congress and the Supreme Court to death.

Comment

If they don't there will be literal riots

Comment

We've got literal riots coming here, if we try and get ourselves out of Hard Brexit shit.

Comment

And if we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      A cautiously positive article on the decline of female GOP voters.

I didn't know that more women than men voted in US elections by such a significant margin. Nor that the male shift away from Dems began during the Civil Rights era. We really do wear the black hats don't we?
                      I had no idea the civil rights backlash started as early as the 50s. I knew that Johnson passed a civil rights bill as Senate majority leader, and that Richard Russell and all weren't happy, but didn't know that you could trace a white male backlash to that time. Actually, there was Brown v Board of Education before that too, wasn't there?

Comment

So an actual Nazi is gaslighting America

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1049697900698263552?s=21

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1049698530791759872?s=21

And all that can save us is Taylor Swift.

https://twitter.com/brian_mansfield/status/1049474668388859905?s=21

Comment

Probably alt-right types with broken hearts, given the ratio of good news, bad news since about 2016.

Comment

Yes, Tubbs.

Brown was decided in 1954.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1049763148281057281?s=21

Comment

"I can't say enough good things about Jared and Ivanka," Haley said during Tuesday's news conference. "Jared is such a hidden genius that no one understands. ... And Ivanka has been just a great friend, and they do a lot of things behind the scenes that I wish more people knew about, because we're a better country because they're in this administration."

Comment

Is "seriously but not literally" still a thing?

In other news, some quite spectacular lying adverts in here. I'd have thought Republicans trying to make out that ex-military Democrats were peacenik traitors was a waste of money, but perhaps it isn't. Especially when you lie. These people must have grown up with posters of Saxby Chambliss on their walls.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-876287

Comment

The Nikki Haley theory I've seen going around is that she'll be the perfect person to be appointed interim Senator for South Carolina when Lindsay Graham gets made AG after Beauregard is sacked, which conveniently has to happen after the mid-terms, just when Haley said she's leaving the UN job.

Comment

Doesn’t that assume Graham would be confirmed?

That’s far from a sure thing in my book.

Comment

I think the assumption goes that only a sitting or former Senator could get confirmed. And Graham was auditioning for the job last week, and Trump was duly impressed. There's no other Senator who's more likely to be offered the job, or more likely to get confirmed. If Graham can't get confirmed then probably nobody can.

Comment

Merrick Garland could be confirmed.

It would be great if they tried something that brazen with the House itching to use its subpoena powers.

Comment

OK. There's nobody Trump would consider nominating for AG who would have a chance of getting confirmed, apart from a Republican Senator. Trump is obviously not going to nominate Garland.

Comment

I don't get the premise.

There was a time when "traditions of collegiality" almost required Senators to vote for colleagues who were nominated for Cabinet positions, but that ship was set ablaze and adrift years ago (with Graham just having done another incendiary bombing run on the hulk last week).

It may be that no one who would immediately fire Rosenstein and Mueller could be confirmed, but to me that is a feature, not a bug.

Comment

Economic anxiety

/https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1049801888852406272?s=21

Comment

Maybe they should be arrested for doing such a shitty job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                    I'd have thought Republicans trying to make out that ex-military Democrats were peacenik traitors was a waste of money, but perhaps it isn't. Especially when you lie.
                                                    Well, there was Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which managed to get a Republican draft dodger to beat a Vietnam vet who has actual shrapnel lodged in his body.

This Republican was, of course, the same guy who got into office because a rigged Supreme Court interpreted the constitution as saying that meeting the vote counting deadline is more important than counting the votes properly. And all the articles I've read in the last week that say the Supreme Court has become a partisan institution beyond repair thanks to Mitch McConnell. They Supreme Court already rigged an election in 2000, surely that should have set alarm bells ringing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X