X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here they go

https://twitter.com/ifnotnoworg/status/1048236666169823233?s=21

Comment

The upside is that Grassley is about 105 years old.

I can’t see how this kind of thing could boost Trump. The people who want this already voted for him whereas a lot of the people really angry about it didn’t vote at all or weren’t old enough to vote.

We just have to pray that we’ll survive until sanity prevails and that federalism - often an impediment to progress - will keep at least some states from going over the edge and will then be the basis for reform that can help the one’s that do.

Still, I periodically scan Zillow for condos in Ontario or maybe Ireland.

Comment

I'm taking the day off, from this thread.

Comment

Immensely strange

https://twitter.com/monaeltahawy/status/1048625185413369857?s=21

Comment

Toxic Catholicism is really toxic, Nef

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Toxic Catholicism is really toxic, Nef
                Someone should tell @pontifex

Comment

These people are desperately trying to depose him.

Comment

Yeah, he knows all about these people. How is that going for them?

Comment

They are having much better luck with judicial appointments.

Comment

Stop the fucking planet, I want to get off. Rise of the right everywhere and fuck all to stop them.

Bye bye women's rights, bye bye environment, bye bye workers' rights, bye bye human rights, bye bye basic human decency, hello 1950s rose tinted cuntdom when men were men, a man's home was his castle, wogs knew their place and no blacks, no dogs and no Irish either.

Hurry up, climate change, and fucking bury the lot of us because right now I feel like Ford Prefect telling the Golgafrinchans that it doesn't matter a pair of fetid dingoes kidneys what we do any more.

Comment

Dems in need to win all three branches in 2020 and pack the court. They won't do that though.

Comment

you're right- though I think this is worse than the 50's. In the 50's you could Like Martin Luther King believe "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"> hard to do that now. And today's contempt for scienc didn't exist in the same way. The desire for the educated to be wilfully ignorant is something new, I think.

There have been more Supreme Court justices confirmed amidst sexual misconduct allegations than Supreme Court Justice women of colour

In Turkey Trump's allies the Saudis have apparently murdered a Washington Post journalist in their consulate.

In Czechia

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                              Dems in need to win all three branches in 2020 and pack the court. They won't do that though.

They're going to have to. Brett doesn't play nice.

Comment

It is astonishing that I keep reading articles suggesting that we now have John Roberts as the voice of moderation and reason, the great liberal hope. Who are the fucking morons who write this shit?

The only actual non-horrifying thing I can think is to remind myself that Anthony Kennedy was a right-wing nutjob, too, and not the great independent minded voice of reason that the Both-Siders in the media always portrayed. No more than John McCain was. They may have voted against evil a couple of times each, but 95% of the time, they wanted to go right along with it.

Kavanaugh will be worse than Kennedy, but - Roe v Wade aside - he won't be as big a shift as pepole think. The Roberts court has always been a right wing shithole. It's just couched in more reserved terminology than Kavanaugh will use.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1048667886527627265?s=21

Comment

OK. So, we fight.

Comment

Correct.

And everyone in Nevada needs to know that Heller was in the tank for Kavanaugh from the get go

Comment

Thanks grandad.

Sandoval is on TV for Heller. This is not one we can win, but we can fuck up the foundations.

Comment

Rosen is taking one for the team.

Comment

(It's the other one that is worth winning... Google laxalt)

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              you're right- though I think this is worse than the 50's. In the 50's you could Like Martin Luther King believe "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"> hard to do that now. And today's contempt for scienc didn't exist in the same way. The desire for the educated to be wilfully ignorant is something new, I think.
                                              Nah, you had the red scare in the fifties, where well educated people actively sought to destroy the lives of anybody vaguely left wing or different.

Only just a few months ago I was reading about how the American chemist Martin Kamen, of Russian Jewish decent, had to fight for years to clear his name. The guy was an absolute genius, worthy of a Nobel prize.

The Dems need an FDR type. Somebody who will not take shit from the Republicans and welcomes their hatred. Bipartisanship be dammed.

Comment

Oh, and Tubby? Keep coming on with your polls. (Nod to Snake)

Begone oh foul youth, with that which does not know whence it spaketh.

Yeah, I made that up. x

Comment

Oh Anton. Annoying, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                    Nah, you had the red scare in the fifties, where well educated people actively sought to destroy the lives of anybody vaguely left wing or different.

Only just a few months ago I was reading about how the American chemist Martin Kamen, of Russian Jewish decent, had to fight for years to clear his name. The guy was an absolute genius, worthy of a Nobel prize.

The Dems need an FDR type. Somebody who will not take shit from the Republicans and welcomes their hatred. Bipartisanship be dammed.
                                                    There was a lot that was very bad in the 50's, don't get me wrong, but people could believe it would change. That education would make a difference.

it's hard to believe that now.

But as Ursula LeGuin said ""We live in capitalism. It's power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings." -

Comment

Working...
                                                    X