No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is whether Judge will be able to run out the clock on the FBI by going to ground or leaving the country, or whether he will just claim not to remember anything. It also is massively unclear if any investigation would include any of the other allegations.

Comment

Here’s a list of all VP tie breaking votes

Pence set a record with six in his first year; DeVos was the first nominee to require a VP tiebreaker.

Comment

The papers tracked him down 3 to 4 days ago, assume they will still have eyeball on him somehow. Though he would get some assistance to leave US jurisdiction I'm sure.

I wondered if the reason Flake said 'limited in time and scope to this investigation' was specifically made to not include the later allegations.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Yes, they only need 50 votes, as Pence will break the tie in Kavanaugh’s favour.
          The usual prevarication until a mystery dip in the pork barrel restores party lines, then.

Comment

I’m quite sure that Judge is now longer in the beach house with his Superman comics.

Comment

There must be so much shit on this mis-spelled Kavanagh bastard (like his drinking) even apart from sexual assault that a good muck raking tabloid could destroy the fucker even if he wriggles out of this. Would the NY Daily News send it’s attack dogs on him?

Comment

Almost certainly not, but I'd be surprised if someone wasn't following his movements. In my experience it's quite rare to lose someone for any length of time when already under surveillance, although it can and does happen. Although maybe that's just me looking at thinks with my biased head on as I want to see Kavanaugh nixed.

Comment

It’s worth reminding people that Flake can’t make the FBI do anything, that’s for the FBI and DOJ.

Nor is McConnnell required to wait a week. That said, he will if he doesn’t have the votes.

Judge isn’t under surveillance. Someone blabbed on him to the Washington Post.

Comment

Murkowski is "with Flake".

Comment

WTF was going on here (hot mic transcription)?

I infer they don't have the votes so are waiting a week, but I don't see how Flake could morally change his vote in 7 days' time if the FBI says it needs more time. I also don't see how they can impose a timeframe on the FBI.
                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-09-2018, 18:40.

Comment

MSNBC's Katy Tur and panel are saying this is just a figleaf to give cover to Flake, Murkowski, Manchin,* Heitkamp and Collins when they eventually vote for Kavanaugh. The FBI will have so many time constraints that the process will produce nothing - at least that's the calculus. OTOH this calculus might fail if there's a flood of new revelations and pressure from GOP voters.** It does look like these five are canvassing opinion in their states and will be swung by that rather than any nominal FBI findings.

*who has just backed Flake

**"a week is a long time in politics"
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-09-2018, 18:56.

Comment

I suspect that if Mitch brings it to the floor and calls Flake's bluff, Flake is voting for Kavanaugh.

Flake has only called for a one week delay so he can burnish his "maverick" credentials, but I'd be astonished if he actually voted against a conservative justice, even one who seems as intent on destroying institutional norms as Kavanaugh appeared to yesterday.

Comment

That sounds right to me.

Rev, I realise that you are relatively new to this but "Flake" and "morally" don't really belong in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              That sounds right to me.

Rev, I realise that you are relatively new to this but "Flake" and "morally" don't really belong in the same sentence.
                              That was me, and I realized I'd gaffed as I typed it, which is why I now think it's pure cynical tactics by Flake.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                Apparently even his own stupid calendar supports the dates Ford mentioned.
                                As so often Marcia Wheeler is the go-to person here. Also for following with informed snark on Twitter

Comment

So....do we know where Timmy Gaudet lived in 1982? And has the floorplan shown up on Zillow or anywhere yet?

Comment

Suzanne Moore expresses the key points from yesterday well, even though the points are obvious enough. In other words it's not revelatory but well written.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-supreme-court

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                      As so often Marcia Wheeler is the go-to person here. Also for following with informed snark on Twitter
                                      Thanks. I didn't get the "never drank at weekends" thing properly before. It seemed a very odd thing to keep emphasizing at all, and very implausible for a kid. "Can't drink on a school night" is what you think when you're fed up with hangovers.

Comment

what the hell is zillow? I mean it seems to be a internet estate agent of some sort, but what does it have to do with this disaster?

Comment

But, we don’t know if Collins and Murkowkski are on board, if Flake would really vote no, nor what kind of investigation the FBI could do in a week
                                          They investigate, say there's no basis to bring charges (lack of evidence and/or statute of limitations), and Flake et al vote yes while touting their independence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                            what the hell is zillow? I mean it seems to be a internet estate agent of some sort, but what does it have to do with this disaster?
                                            US real estate site that posts floorplans for resale houses (sometimes). Go-to site for "Hey, there's a narrow stairway and a guest bathroom across from the guest bedroom" type stuff.

I'm not advocating anyone do this, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                              He was astonishingly unjudglike.
                                              And the President, obviously, is astonishingly presidential!

Comment

GY, the FBI investigation is being described as a "new background check".

"Bringing charges" isn't the standard (nor should it be, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  They investigate, say there's no basis to bring charges (lack of evidence and/or statute of limitations), and Flake et al vote yes while touting their independence.
                                                  But many a slip between cup and lip. It's not a risk-free strategy, otherwise Kavanaugh would not have kept dodging the option when put to him yesterday (and the Dems would not have hammered on it so much).

Comment

"Bringing charges" isn't the standard (nor should it be, of course).
                                                    It is as far as the GOP are concerned.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X