Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    You may remember that we were colleagues for a brief time.

She is a profoundly unpleasant person.
    I remembered you'd been colleagues, but for some reason misremembered that you thought she wasn't too bad.

Comment

SB, I think that would be difficult (but not impossible) if the Democrats control the next Senate.

I'm pretty sure that they will go with Coney Barrett if Kavanaugh goes down.

Comment

Barrett, kavanagh, no wonder we can't allow the fucking diaspora vote.

Comment

Coney Barrett; she married even deeper into the tribe. Law degree from Notre Dame, where she also taught, and famously a Charismatic Catholic and member of Faculty for Life and People for Praise

You really didn’t send us your best people, man
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-09-2018, 21:18.

Comment

Coney Barrett; she married even deeper into the tribe. Law degree from Notre Dame, where she also taught, and famously a Charismatic Catholic and member of Faculty for Life and People for Praise

They were fine when they left.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
              Did you read the WSJ article she wrote about Kavanaugh? Order of the Brown Nose stuff, with added crassness.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kavanau...men-1531435729
              The same tactic was used to whitewash Trump in 2016: his female employees loved him and he was always "a fierce champion of their careers." Even if true, this is irrelevant to whether he's a sexual abuser.

On the diaspora, TAB's post made me think of Pat Buchanan or maybe various racist police chiefs down the years. But not the Klan, which was anti-Catholic and pro-WASP IIRC.

Catholics allying with WASPs to beat down the blacks (and now Mexicans and Muslims) is another throwback aspect of Trumpism, but I think its current manifestation traces to Buchanan or earlier.

Good Maureen Dowd piece from 1996 on this theme:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/29/o...-for-eire.html
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-09-2018, 01:05.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                Barrett, kavanagh, no wonder we can't allow the fucking diaspora vote.
                That's a classic false argument used in Ireland to disparage votes for Irish citizens overseas. Expand the definition of diaspora to people who aren't actually Irish citizens.

Comment

Why is it that so much of the right wing legal establishment are all such hardcore Catholics? You don't see any Catholic Republican politicians.

Comment

Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy spring to mind.

Comment

It’s because they came to the Federalist Society through extreme anti-abortion politics and because the US has long had a tradition of Catholic (especially Jesuit) universities turning out lots of lawyers.

Comment

Irish-Americans were by some distance the least Trump-friendly white ethnic group in a Buzzfeed poll. Now if you want reactionary, check out those Germans.

Comment

Worth pointing out too that the Irish subgroup almost certainly includes Scots-Irish. Glucksman House at NYU did a poll of self-identified Irish-Americans and found a huge lead for people identifying themselves as Democrats.

The Irish Times summed it up:

Political perspectives trended broadly towards Democrat/liberal. In the 2016 presidential election, 92 per cent of respondents voted: 47 per cent voted for Clinton, 27 per cent for Trump, and 20 per cent refused to indicate their vote. More generally, 41 per cent signified as Democrat while 23 per cent selected Republican. The preferred news sources were more liberal than conservative; for example, of those who got their news from television, 45 per cent used NBC while 36 per cent used Fox.
                          Last edited by Flynnie; 21-09-2018, 17:12.

Comment

Who counts as an "American" in that graph? Is it self-defined, as in "I'm an American" rather than a German-American for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                              Irish-Americans were by some distance the least Trump-friendly white ethnic group in a Buzzfeed poll. Now if you want reactionary, check out those Germans.

Yes, but one is too many. Never mind a slight trump edge. Irish people living in the US mostly went there in the 50's and 60's, and they left a very different Ireland. I would expect that they are far more right wing that first or second generation Irish americans, who didn't grow up in Catholic Iran.

Comment

I tend to think that an Irish-American living in NYC will develop very different attitudes than those living in Southwest Florida, some of whose kids I teach and tend to be more socially conservative than the average.

There's also the added problem generally that social conservatives ought to detest Trump but are voting tactically for Roe v Wade Supreme Court changes, after which some may switch back. Certainly after Trump retires/dies, there will be millions of current Trump voters who claim they always opposed him. A variation on the Bradley Effect, which has perhaps resurfaced after disappearing in the early Obama years.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-09-2018, 19:29.

Comment

much of my family are now in northern florida, in the panhandle. My Uncle Thomas moved from New York to Florida to be nearer his kids. he passed nearly 20 years ago, and I know nothing about his politics but the rest of my mother's family would all have voted for Trump, but would have expressed it as a dislike of Hilary.

Comment

I wonder what is going on here.

Comment

This Ed Whelan thing is absolutely nuts. A bloke who works for the Federalist Society has been hyped all week as having stuff that exonerates Kavanaugh (by a bunch of very senior people), then goes on a tweetstorm last night revealing that this exoneration is basically a smear against one of Kavanaugh's classmates, suggesting that the classmate assaulted Ford. And his proof seems to be a handful of floorplans from Zillow (although I still don't think Ford has even said which party the assault happened at).

It's utterly bonkers, and he's had to walk it all back, and the entire republican establishment has had to distance itself from him, because they don't want to be associated with the apparent libel.

Comment

I mean, he didn't just have a momentary slip of the finger there. That was a full blown court case, with pictures, props and hand-puppets. Holy crap. Talk about your total lapses in sanity.

Comment

It wasn't a lapse in sanity.

It was a fully-cooked project of the old white guy wing of the Federalist Society that they were convinced was a silver bullet.

Which is further evidence to just how desperate and out of touch they are.

Comment

Ed Whelan, or Eamon O'Faoilean. It means seagull.

Comment

Year behind me in Cambridge

Comment

I'll assume that it's you, and not him, that's kept it above water as the Number One Best University In The World, in the various rankings that come out.

Comment

It will shock you to know that we traveled in different circles

Comment

And there I was thinking that we had a Federalist Society mole...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X