X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubbs, to quote Randy Newman, “keepin’ the n*****s down”

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Yet while the Democrats were in power (and, as I understand it, had a majority in both houses), did they do anything to rectify it? Real question...I just don't know enough about it.
      Nothing much that can be done other than adding new, Democrat, states. Adding Puerto Rico would help. Merging North and South Dakota with Wyoming and Nebraska into a single entity would help...

Comment

Bruno is right.

The core of the minority government issue liess with state legislature, who are increasingly added and abetted by the federal courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Leaving aside the human cost, obviously, how does it work electorally for Republicans if states can start banning abortion? Where do they go from there in terms of motivating the base?
          It's interesting, isn't it? If we ignore how it screws real humans and just thing about the political gamesmanship.

I was wondering about Mitch's tactics just for this mid-term. If the Senate hasn't yet voted on a replacement for Kennedy, it could bring Republicans out in force to make sure they get their guy. If there are already 5 (relatively) young conservative justices, a lot of the motivation that the religious right have felt to come out and vote might be gone.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the genius of the culture war before was that Roe v Wade didn't get overturned and all that.

Comment

Is this another Supreme Court case that's going to be overturned now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizon...ing_Commission

I see the four (with Scalia) dissented in 2015.

Comment

I think they should look at splitting Texas into 4 as the legislation allows. Just get control of the Austin State House and bish bosh - 8 new Senators

Comment

You know that it doesn't really work like that, right?

Comment

Bruno is right in that any new impetus has to come from State level. This November the White House isn't up for grabs, not electorally, but both Houses are. They are elected at State level so getting out the vote at State level is vital. There are good signs. Lujon is looking good in New Mexico and in North Carolina the Rep Congressional representatives are looking nervously at the legislature as they keep vetoing popular gubernatorial initiatives or overriding governor's vetoes. Think it is going to be a nasty fight here.

Comment

Golfing while Rome burns.

Comment

Lots of polls seem to be going well for Democrats. Too well.

Comment

One exception is Ohio governor. 4 point lead for Republicans in last poll. Wonder if there's time for tariffs to shift that.

Comment

I’m not sure that “tariffs” will shift four votes in that race,

Comment

Not in this timescale maybe, but longer term they could be felt very strongly.

Comment

No. Ohio is rock-ribbed Trump country.

Comment

But lots of that has been on bullshit promises on trade.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    You know that it doesn't really work like that, right?
                                    Well, I posted it earlier but no-one ever got back to me, so I'd love to read a riposte to Gladwell (or more pointedly, the law scholar who made the case).

Comment

You know better than most people here that one can get a law scholar to make just about any argument under the sun.

The key flaw is that the 1845 admission resolution expressly requires that any division and re-admission be subject to the the terms of the Federal Constitution. That means that Congress would have to approve both measures, and it is difficult to see how that would ever happen in a closely divided Congress given that the primary purpose of any division would be to improve one party’s position at the expense of the other.

Pro-divisionists claim that the resolution constitutes “pre-approval” by Congress, but that is a real reach, especially with regard to a pre-Civil War Congress that operated and was selected under rules that are very different from those now in effect.

And that’s before one gets to the argument that Texas’ secession in 1861 rendered the 1845 resolution null and void.

Comment

Still looking for a rational electorate Tubbs? Never change

Comment

Somebody called John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) is making a tit of himself asking long questions to Rod Rosenstein and repeatedly interrupting him. Rosenstein answers him with the ease of Robin Smith facing up to my bouncer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                            Obama won Ohio
                                            So did Kerry.

Comment

Ha ha. Somebody called Steve Chabot claims to have received a phone call from a constituent who asked him what he thought about the Inspector General's report which had worried her. By a happy coincidence, her understanding of the Inspector General report is exactly the same as his.

Having done a long rant, he interrupts Rosenstein when he answers because he's running out of time and goes on a rant again.

They're absolutely spectacularly shit at this, and they're getting away with it.

Comment

Even a hyper-rational Ohio voter would struggle to understand how their gubernatorial vote would help reverse the Administration’s tariff policy.

I assume that the idea is that it having a Democratic Governor makes voter suppression and GOP-friendly gerrymandering more difficult, but I’m not even sure that the voters who are being suppressed share Tubbs’ view on trade.

Comment

Lots of people, cross party might support tariffs, but when they fuck up, as this looks like it will, there's likely to be less support. But there's not going to be enough time for that.

Nearly all Republicans are identifying themselves and identified with Trump, aren't they?

Comment

Somebody called Darrel Issa speaking now. He bullshitted for ages said "the question is" then realized he didn't have a question.

He made lots of accusations against Comey then said to Wray "is he above the law?"

It's barely more subtle than "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X