Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    ?

Sure, the talk show format isn't as conducive to full-bore satire as his old character was, but he's still dishing it out. And I certainly don't see what would merit asshat status.
    I think the bigger problem is relying on late night comedians to be our strongest voices of dissent.

Comment

Huckabee Sanders describes the raid on the doctor’s office as “standard operating procedure”

Comment

And soon it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
          I think the bigger problem is relying on late night comedians to be our strongest voices of dissent.
          There's a great Matt Christman rant to be had (if he hasn't done it already) on how fundamentally conservative #Resistance liberals in terms of their docility not just towards state institutions but cultural institutions. It's like how they decided to fight "fake news" by buying more of the New York Times, which platforms dribbling morons like Bret Stephens, Bari Weiss and Ben Shapiro and carries the can for US foreign policy to an embarrassing degree. Who fucking cares about late night? It's so conservative to tilt back towards the old certainties of some guy aping Johnny Carson trying to stare into the camera and make lame jokes to own Donald Trump.

Colbert gets 4.2 million viewers, which sounds like a lot and is 50% more than yuk-yuk man Jimmy Fallon, yet he actually gets fewer viewers than Fallon under the age of 50. It's all middle-aged people whose disgust with the president manifests itself largely in...watching a comedian on TV. Great.

The most frustrating thing is we know this isn't going to work, Colbert made his bones on the Daily Show making fun of George W. Bush and all it did was lead to his reelection.

Comment

Sarltire never worked. Apart from maybe when it made John Major grey.

Comment

Colbert gets 4.2 million viewers, which sounds like a lot and is 50% more than yuk-yuk man Jimmy Fallon, yet he actually gets fewer viewers than Fallon under the age of 50.
              That may be because you can watch Colbert on Youtube.

Well, indeed. It's hardly Colbert's fault though. Or Wolf's - that was pretty much the point of her substantive attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                That may be because you can watch Colbert on Youtube.

Well, indeed. It's hardly Colbert's fault though. Or Wolf's - that was pretty much the point of her substantive attacks.
                Neilsen doesn't take into account YouTube views as far as I know.

Comment

That's what I mean. Assuming you can't also watch Fallon on Youtube (I've never tried), that would account for Colbert's lower viewership among younger people. Looks like the show posted yesterday has over 2m views already.

Comment

Ty Cobb retiring apparently.

Comment

To be fair, he is 132. I'm surprised he can still finish an inning.

Comment

"Oh, would you look at that. I'm three years past my pensionable age. I should really retire."

Comment

The Fallon Tonight Show channel on YouTube has 16.3 million subscribers

Colbert’s Late Show channel has 4.2 million.

Comment

I don't really understand Jimmy Fallon's appeal. I didn't really understand what the point of Jimmy Kimmel was either, until the Oscars.

Comment

I sometimes forget they are different people.

Comment

For Fallon, read Leno, O'Brien and Carson

The last host of the Tonight Show that I liked was Jack Paar and I doubt that I ever saw him do Tonight (as I was thoree when Cars,on took over).

There is a deep Middle America appeal to that franchise that I have never understood, though I felt that I got some sense of it when I'd be in a hotel in someplace like Kansas City with only three channels and local news that ended at 10pm.

Comment

Fallon used to be entertaining, I think, when he did funny music stuff. But now? Less so. Then, I never really saw the point of watching chat shows, and semi-famous people I've probably not heard of puff some project that I'm not going to watch or listen to.

Late night is massively overrated, of course, and the idea that people can come up with funny material about the news 5 days a week for eternity is just bonkers. But it wouldn't have nearly so much focus if the actual media just went and did their job and pointed out when politicians are lying shits or when government policies fuck people over.

The Padres will take Cobb.

Comment

I had to look up Paar. The show he had after the tonight show looked to be pretty good. muhammed ali and liberace performing together....

That really is an odd collection of hosts. I've never ever understood the point of Jay Leno, or letterman. What was the story with that Craig ferguson guy? and how is James "Motherfucking piglet" corden doing?

Comment

I did enjoy Dylan Moran on the Craig Ferguson show.

Moran didn't hide his contempt at all, did he.

Comment

oh god that's such a car crash of an interview. Why is he crowding his space in such a creepy fashion? And why is he trying to be the funny one?

Comment

I don't know what they saw in Ferguson. He's pure perve. I guess he fit in well in Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            There is a deep Middle America appeal to that franchise that I have never understood, though I felt that I got some sense of it when I'd be in a hotel in someplace like Kansas City with only three channels and local news that ended at 10pm.
                                            The book Johnny Carson by Henry Bushkin is great on the lure and lore of the late night talk shows. Basically, they harken back to a simpler time when your blue-collar day would end with some laughs, a bit of glamour and the certainty that all was right in America. You went to bed a bit more relaxed than if you'd just finished watching the news.

I'm on the record as liking The Tonight Show with Carson (even though he was an awful person), and Letterman was - for my generation - simply the king. Never like Leno, even for a second, and I can't be arsed with the Jimmys, although I'd take 100 Kimmels over 1 Fallon any day.
                                            Last edited by WOM; 02-05-2018, 22:42.

Comment

Ferguson was once borderline funny with his stand up Bing Hitler routine. Proto Boyle in a tiresome way. Then I think he cleaned up a bit, and headed west.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 02-05-2018, 22:21.

Comment

I watched it a few times. It was just too fucking weird for North American tastes, I think. L8 Nite here has such a recognized structure and tone. He was too different.

Comment

Giuliani's appointment seems to be going predictably well.

Comment

As, I'm sure, is his relationship with his doctor. I'm guessing Trump wrote his own sick-notes when he was at school, so why not do it when he's president.
                                                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 03-05-2018, 08:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X