No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that he represents something very specific amongst the (significantly large) populace who voted for him - and the party that continues to enable him - a very long time, I suspect. Bush II was a buffoon, but he didn't reflect so poorly on those who voted for him. His personal brand of 'incuriosity' was forgotten fairly quickly in the Obama years. Trumpers will exist long after Trump leaves the stage. And hopefully we never forget the names and faces of those who continued to support him long after that was acceptable.

Comment

I see there's a "hot take" among the likes of Media Lens- "So bombing countries is fine, but calling thems shitholes is bad and racist".

Comment

It's not an unreasonable point.

Comment

It isn't. It's what goons who said Trump would be the same as Clinton like to say.

Comment

It can be a reasonable point, and simultaneously be what goons who said Trump would be the same as Clinton like to say.

Comment

Comment

(George Takei voice)
                "Oh my‽"
                Last edited by Gerontophile; 14-01-2018, 08:30.

Comment

As with most things Trump, you're never quite sure whether it goes in this thread or the WTF thread.

The House Majority Leader has managed to get into 45's good graces by getting his underlings to pick out the cherry and strawberry Starbursts and send them to the President...

President Trump and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) were alone in the presidential suite on Air Force One, flying east toward Washington in early October, when the president reached for a handful of Starbursts, the square-shaped candy fruit chews.

But instead of unwrapping all the treats, the president was careful to pluck out and eat two flavors: cherry and strawberry, McCarthy noticed.

“We’re there, having a little dessert, and he offers me some,” McCarthy recalled in an interview. “Just the red and the pink. A bit later, a couple of his aides saw me with those colors and told me, ‘Those are the president’s favorites.’ ”

Days later, the No. 2 Republican in the House — known for his relentless cultivation of political alliances — bought a plentiful supply of Starbursts and asked a staffer to sort through the pile, placing only those two flavors in a jar. McCarthy made sure his name was on the side of the gift, which was delivered to a grinning Trump, according to a White House official.

More here about what an obsequious toady McCarthy is, and how he needs to present things to Trump with visual aids rather than words...

Comment

That is how one deals with a three year-old, isn't it? By age five, kids are sophisticated enough to regard someone else sorting their sweets out for them as patronising and will want to do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      How long will it take for the US to recover its international prestige from this toxic, racist Presidency?
                      Never. It hasn't recovered from Iraq, imho.

Comment

I'm going to have to watch Anthony Hopkins' masterful portrayal of Nixon. Maybe this evening. While ignoring all the Oliver Stone stuff.

Comment

The rehabilitation of David Frum, author of the axis of evil speech, among certain liberal types is particularly nauseating. There's a guy who is quite clearly in the top 50 people in the world most to blame for the rise of Trump- and people are falling for him as some kind of defender of liberal democratic values, because he pissed on his chips back when he though Trump had no chance, and is now furious that there's a republican administration that won't give the prick a job planning war with Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                            I find most of Stone's stuff almost embarrassingly histrionic nowadays. Parts of his films are almost painful to watch and I used to be a fan.
                            Yeah, and the directing style and visuals have dated very badly as well. Similar to how the X-Files have dated badly.

Just looked up on Wikipedia that Nicholas Cage beat Anthony Hopkins to the best actor Oscar for the year that Nixon was nominated. Nicholas Cage getting an Oscar is bad enough as it is, but edging out Anthony Hopkins...

Comment

Into the wood chipper with the entire fucking conservative Frum clan. Fuck them. Him particularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                Never. It hasn't recovered from Iraq, imho.
                                That's fine. We shouldn't have "prestige." We should be compelled to work within and support international organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                  I love Botswana so fucking much right now. Their government has summoned the US ambassador to explain whether the US President regards Botswana as a shithole.

This is from the Botswana government's Twitter account:

Note all the right-wingers and the "well, actually" types saying "But those places *are* shitholes. They're really poor. FACT!!!"

FFS. It wasn't about the places. He didn't say "Wow, those countries suck. I can see why people want to leave." He said that the people from shitholes shouldn't come here, ergo, that they are shitty. Especially compared to Norwegians, who would never want to come here (unless they got a really high paying job or play hockey or got married to an American or something dumb like that).

And the press is still not 100% if that was racist.

And, as many people have said, whenever you visit a "shithole," you're usually overwhelmed by generosity and impressed by how industrious the people are.

I confess, I have never been outside the industrialized world - though I've been through parts of the US that might as well not be.

Mainly its because I didn't study anything that would be useful there (or anywhere, really) and I don't really like hot places. I've wanted to go to Mongolia or the far North of Canada or maybe the high Andes or Himylayas. But then I'd probably get sick because of the altitude and upset by how the animals are treated. I'm a rich-world pantywaist.
                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-01-2018, 15:33.

Comment

Every single one of those neocon scum who criticise Trump for being "unpresidential" (i.e.: just saying out loud what many of them privately think) like Kristol would bite his fucking hand off quicker than a velociraptor if he offered them a role planning a putative invasion of North Korea, Iran or Syria. And the ones who weren't offered a job would be murdering one another to be the first to write an op-ed piece about how this was the moment that Trump truly assumed the presidency.
                                    I find those people useful. It helps to have them around, occasionally saying something sensible (albeit obvious) and then you can say "look, I don't live in a bubble. I listen to conservatives!"
                                    Even though I've come to see that bipartisanship and listening to the "other side" for the sake of it has no merit. But a lot of people in the press and various naive liberals (in the Volvo-driving/neo-liberal sense, not the "damn libtard commy" sense) insist on it. So it's ok to have them around.

And George Will does know a bit about baseball, to be fair.

Comment

Hey I drive a Volvo! (not through choice of course.) And I'm definitely not a neo-liberal, more of a pre-liberal probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        Hey I drive a Volvo! (not through choice of course.)
                                        Another one of those 'at-gunpoint' euro-luxo car purchases.

Comment

Slightly more complex (and cheapskate) than that, but if it ticks the box I can live with it.

Comment

No grief, bro. The SLA were behind my last car purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                              Hey I drive a Volvo! (not through choice of course.) And I'm definitely not a neo-liberal, more of a pre-liberal probably.
                                              But you're Canadian. No doubt, different signifiers. I'm not sure Volvo is good one anyway. In fact, I don't really have a good sense of what the car-politics stereotype map looks like these days.

Comment

I think we can be certain of BMW.

Comment

Comment

Trump (as instinctively sickening as it might be to say) hasn't done anything in America's foreign policy quite that bad yet - he hasn't yet been responsible for killing vast numbers of foreign civilians. He may well get there, of course.

[/URL]
                                                    All true. But, he's only been office a year. More significantly it takes a massive amount of planning to launch even a small military operation.* This includes delegation and acceptance of responsibility throughout, from troops in the field to the high command. Trump is the US Commander in Chief, but he has shown no aptitude for organisation, delegation, or acceptance of responsibility for anything he's said or done since becoming president. A Trump led war would inevitably be a clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks

* There is, of course, one sickening exception. Trump only requires one of his tiny fingers to press his massive button...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X