No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it flies, because lots of the white working class base know people who smoke it, if they don't themselves.

Comment

Sessions seems to have forgotten about states' rights on this one.

Comment

Yeah, this is just Sessions being Sessions.

He loves criminalising things because it allows for more people of colour to be locked up and stripped of the franchise.

That said, there's already pushback from GOP members of congress from states that have legalised (though nowhere near as much as there has been within hours of the Administration's attempt to eliminate all barriers on offshore oil drilling).

Comment

Yeah, I think this is Sessions's own personal insanity. There are tons of Republican voters who smoke, particularly out west - that class of gun owning redneck who bought a house out in the hills away from cities and people who wants to be free to do what he likes, he almost certainly smokes. And there's both the libertarian case and the states rights case that brings a fair number of Republicans to the party. Beauregard is making trouble for himself, here.

Comment

Do that many people care about felons voting? The Republicans really went for it in Virginia, but it didn't do them much good.

Comment

Two related things from the coverage of that book. Ivanka is referred to as his real wife, which only kind of adds to the whole creepiness of the way he talks about her like a sexual object, and paws her in public. While hope hicks is his real daughter. (which given the way he talks about and touches his actual daughter makes me wonder if its a code)

and is hope hicks the most preppy wasp catalogue model in the history of preppy wasp catalogue models? She looks like she should be lounging on a yacht in woollen wear surrounded by toothy young men who have all been friends since choate or exeter.

Comment

Republicans who want to maintain structural electoral advantages care about it a good deal.

Comment

Is there any way in which the federal govt can say "The Police of State X have institutionally targeted black people, who are far more likely to be arrested and prosecuted for certain crimes, consequently the felon voting laws are all racist in effect." or does that all fall under the rubric of states rights, or would it be a matter for a packed supreme court?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Republicans who want to maintain structural electoral advantages care about it a good deal.
                    It's handy for them in Florida, for sure.

Comment

There are almost certainly too many logical jumps in that for it to survive judicial scrutiny, even in an unpacked court.

The closest we have come recently is the cases the Obama DoJ brought against places like Ferguson, Cleveland and Chicago for policing that was so racist as to constitute prima facie violations of fundamental civil rights.

But of course those have all been cut off at the knees by Sessions.

Comment

Alabama takes voting rights off anybody caught with a kilo of cannabis.

Comment

There was the case from 1972 where the Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional in Georgia because it was implemented in a flagrantly biased way, but that was reversed in 1976.

IMHO the spirit of the Constitution should imply that felon disfranchisement is unconstitutional on its face, partly because it's a double punishment that continues after the felon has served his sentence.

But I think the real subtext is that the legal system could not admit that its current operations are institutionally racist. Something like the Macpherson Report cannot happen in the US at this time, and I'm not sure Obama & Eric Holder could have gone there even at their popular peak.

Comment

But I think the real subtext is that the legal system could not admit that its current operations are institutionally racist.
                            Even if it could, I'm not sure that would lead to the consequences it should. The jurisprudence on prosecutorial misconduct is just mindboggling to me (eg this outrage).

Comment

So, Feds apparently going after the Clinton Foundation.

I don't rule anything out, but what are the policy changes that are supposed to have come from donations?

Comment

None have ever been identified

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  None have EVER been identified
                                  Edited for clarity, there.

Does anyone actually think that Hillary Clinton would run for President with a skeleton as huge as that in her closet (ignoring Bill, and accepting that she thought she was running on her own actual merit)?

I am so bored with all of this.
                                  Last edited by Gerontophile; 05-01-2018, 19:30.

Comment

I don't know what this means, but Mike Pence's lawyer has resigned. (I assume for working for Mike Pence.)

Comment

Trump wants 18 billion for the wall. Do we know for sure that this would be DOA in Congress.

Can Trump block a bipartisan agreement on Dreamers?

Comment

Today, Trump is assuring us that he is a stable genius.

Comment

No-one ask him if he likes fish sticks or if he likes to put Fish sticks in his mouth.

Comment

I honestly wonder if he is getting a cut of Wolff's royalties.

Comment

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Madman_theory

Comment

Petition to rename THE HORSE WHISPERER to STABLE GENIUS

Comment

"A Very Stable Genius at That!": A History of the Trump Presidency

Comment

Working...
                                                  X