Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but the last president was black.

Comment

These fucks also see Oslo etc as Slick Willie selling out their pals. It’s interesting to see the evolution of someone like PJ O’Rourke who I think I remember as once being vaguely sympathetic to the fuckedness of Palestinians to a frothing Israel advocate. And now pro life to an equally frothing extent. Even if the egregious fucker says he’s not for Trump, he’s gone full onboard the Culture War bus. I’m guessing the u-turn on abortion is that old saw of looking down at your first born... and then refusing to look at the issue objectively ever again.

Fuck sake I must have been some snotty Liam Fox cunt that six months or so I was soaking up his books. What evil you can get away with I’ve you’ve got comic timing in print.

Comment

Yeah but lots of black people voted for Bill Clinton.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
          Trump has just tweeted MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN with a screenshot of his latest approval rating: 45%

You can't make this shit up.
          As long as President Beeblebrox is out front doing his job...

Comment

So Fox News seems ready to plumb new depths

Comment

Pirro is a real piece of work and always has been.

Comment

From the article:
                Pirro is a longtime friend of Trump, but a recent New York Times’ report indicates that her hyperbolic rants get to be too much even for him. "Even Mr. Trump eventually tired of Ms. Pirro’s screed and walked out of the room," the Times reported
                That's impressive, in its own way.

Comment

the conservative case against Moore

That question is not whether the people of Alabama should vote for a great man with a serious flaw, but whether the people of Alabama should vote for a terrible man who lacks any redeeming virtue. In fact, Moore is so terrible that the most likely outcome of his elevation to the Senate is direct and important harm to the causes most Alabama Republicans claim to support. Before Americans learned one single thing about Moore’s alleged mistreatment and sexual assault of young girls, they had more than enough information to know that he was unfit for higher office.
                  r

Comment

Part of me wants him to win so we can enjoy the subsequent congressional car crash as the GOP tries to hide him whilst still needing to drag him out of his isolation ward for tight votes. Who would want to find themselves in the same photo as Moore, for example, knowing it could then be used by the Dems in future campaigns?

Comment

No way.

A Jones victory would be fantastic, a slap in the face to Trump and kick in the nuts to the racist, sexist, disgusting assholes of Alabama.

Here's hoping for turnout.

Comment

Besides, I don't see that he's any more in need of hiding than, say, Louie "sack of hammers" Gohmert or Steve "let's start a race war" King.

Comment

I was surprised to discover today, that 73 US Senators are older than president Obama.

I was less surprised to find that the median age of a US senator is 63 years old, and that 45 of them are senior citizens. 19 of them were born during the Roosevelt administration. nearly one in five are too old to be baby boomers. Roy Moore is a mere 71 years old and narrowly misses out on being an FDR baby.

Comment

And those figures are lower they were before the last election cycle.

Comment

I found this Nate Silver piece on polling to be interesting, not so much for what it says about this race (which is impossible to call) but rather the inherent biases of different polling methods.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                I was surprised to discover today, that 73 US Senators are older than president Obama.

I was less surprised to find that the median age of a US senator is 63 years old, and that 45 of them are senior citizens. 19 of them were born during the Roosevelt administration. nearly one in five are too old to be baby boomers. Roy Moore is a mere 71 years old and narrowly misses out on being an FDR baby.
                                I don't really get the arguments against term limits. Or, at least, I don't accept any of them.

Comment

heh HP a lot of these senators are nearly 60 when they're elected. A number of them were over 65 when first elected to the senate.

Comment

The centrality of committees to Congressional decision making and their fealty to seniority pose real (though not insurmountable) issues.

Comment

heh HP a lot of these senators are nearly 60 when they're elected. A number of them were over 65 when first elected to the senate.
                                      A number of them have been there 20 years or more. Orrin Hatch has been there for 40fuckingyears.
                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_seniority

It's more a problem in the house, where most races are noncompetitive. Though getting rid of gerrymandering would probably help more on that.
                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior...epresentatives

Comment

The centrality of committees to Congressional decision making and their fealty to seniority pose real (though not insurmountable) issues.

The big problem though is that the US is a gerontocratic oligarchy...

Comment

The big problem though is that the US is a gerontocratic oligarchy...
                                          Yeah, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            A number of them have been there 20 years or more. Orrin Hatch has been there for 40fuckingyears.
                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_seniority

It's more a problem in the house, where most races are noncompetitive. Though getting rid of gerrymandering would probably help more on that.
                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior...epresentatives
                                            We've got lots of safe seats (even when Blair won in 1997, the majority of incumbents won). Oldest MP, in a now not particularly safe seat, is Denis Skinner, who is 85. Another MP, David Winnick, lost his seat in 2017. aged 83.

Comment

Skinner was first elected in 1970, and has served continuously. Winnick was first elected in 1966, but had a while out of the house.

Comment

What's all this about the Alabama Supreme court overturning an order to preserve the electronic ballots in the case of a recount?

Fuck Electronic voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                  We've got lots of safe seats (even when Blair won in 1997, the majority of incumbents won). Oldest MP, in a now not particularly safe seat, is Denis Skinner, who is 85. Another MP, David Winnick, lost his seat in 2017. aged 83.
                                                  Well your system is also really terrible. three quarters of the seats in your country would elect a pig in the right colour rosette. Frequently on nowhere near half the votes. The net result of this is that there is no reason for your parliamentarians not to be terrible. It simply doesn't matter. we may grumble a lot about the parish pump politicians we get as a result of multi seat constituency PR Stv, but the thing about them is that they place certain minimum requirements for competence on our politicians. They have to understand how things work well enough, to deliver enough stuff, to get and stay elected, and to protect their seat from rivals within their own party. There's no real Room to impose an insane oxbridge moron on a local party and give him a 40 year parliamentary career.

The upshot is that even the most outlandish gobshite in the Dail has a fundamental understanding of how the EU works, essentially because they engage with it to get stuff for their constituency. The UK manages to get the very worst of the List system without the proportionality associated with that way of going about things.

Comment

The entire state apparatus is dedicated to frustrating the popular will, particularly if they happen to be black.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X