Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

I can't imagine too many Americans trying to go to Iran, except journalists and other cultural exchange types who, of course, are needed now more than ever.

Speaking of "cultural exchange." This week Conan OBrien announced he will do a show in Mexico City with a Mexican crew and Mexican guests. Not sure who he'll have on. I suspect he'll want Vicente Fox. Lots of Trump-bashing. Should be good.

Comment

Trump's Card

Dual passport holders are banned for 90 days. I find that extraordinary. And surely it is completely unconstitutional?

Comment

Trump's Card

Sure but it will take a while for those suits to get through th courts.

Comment

Trump's Card

As an uncle to a lovely 10-month old American-born half-American niece, this shit is breaking my heart on a personal level, as well as inducing rage on a political one.

Can we start boycotting American stuff? Is it a goer? It's a pariah state now.

Comment

Trump's Card

It's hard for us, but please do

Comment

Trump's Card

Gerontophile wrote: However, I would also assume that some would not want to go back, or indeed have never been.

I am doing a lot of assuming, and another is, that Iran means to ban actual American passport holding Americans. Because if you DO have two passports, why would you use the one which would cause yourself more hassle?
              I sat next to an Iranian-American on a trans-Atlantic flight once. Iran does not recognise dual citizenship. A lot of these people do go back to Iran to visit their families, including this guy. And many Iranian Dutch people I know do the same. Yes, they enter into Iran with their Iranian passport and return to the USA with their US passport, and the Iranian government is none the wiser. At least they turn a blind eye and don't ask difficult questions, like, "If you are out of Iran for 23 out of every 24 months then why are there no visas in your Iranian passports." However, if the ante is upped by Trump, and Iran actively starts banning US citizens from entering the country, then you can imagine that those kinds of questions might start to be asked.

Comment

Trump's Card

E10 Rifle wrote: As an uncle to a lovely 10-month old American-born half-American niece, this shit is breaking my heart on a personal level, as well as inducing rage on a political one.

Can we start boycotting American stuff? Is it a goer? It's a pariah state now.
                I dunno.

I know it helped with South Africa, but don't think it would be possible to affect change in the US the way it worked with South Africa.

And I think that it has to have a reasonable chance of being effective to be justified. Otherwise, it just strengthens the fascist's persecution narrative and gives them somebody to blame for the working class's problems.

I sympathize, but I'll be pretty salty if I lose my job because European companies boycott what I write because I happen to be an American. That won't happen, but still. Or maybe it will and my company will move me to Britain.

Apropos of nothing, I'm thinking about becoming a Quaker.

Comment

Trump's Card

Just one of many stories of people being denied entry

Where is John McCain 'the maverick' now? How long will the GOP stand by this shit?

Comment

Trump's Card

You know something is up when Iran becomes the voice of reason:

While respecting the American people and distinguishing between them and the hostile policies of the US government, Iran will implement the principle of reciprocity until the offensive US limitations against Iranian nationals are lifted.

Comment

Trump's Card

UK citizens with dual nationality from one of the seven countries are also affected, they include a Tory MP whose name eludes me and Mo Farah who has his training camp in Oregon.

For those individuals who are rich and famous enough to attract publicity they should get on a plane to the US today and show the absolute ludicrous nature of this policy.

Edit Nadhim Zahawi is the MP

Comment

Trump's Card

The prime candidate for attention getting would be Christiane Amanpour, the CNN presenter. British-Iranian apparently.

Comment

Trump's Card

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iranian_Americans?wprov=sfla1

Not necessarily the best source but here's a list of Iranian Americans, no idea how many of them are affected but it shows how ignorant Trump is, I'm sure some of his advisors or people he never expected are going to be on the banned list.

What about Christiane Amanpour? Does she have an Iranian passport?

Edit beaten to it by AP.

Comment

Trump's Card

Bit worried about Trump's response to these protests.

Comment

Trump's Card

[IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/22950/IMG_3820.GIF[/IMG]

Comment

Trump's Card

Federal judge in Brooklyn issues a nationwide stay on deportations pursuant to the Trump order and orders USG to give plaintiffs the names of all those being detained.

It's a start.

Comment

Trump's Card

Something happened with Uber?

AH, they are breaking ranks and still travelling to JFK.

Comment

Trump's Card

Meanwhile, an explanation as to why there no mention of Jews in the White House statement on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Comment

Trump's Card

Can we start boycotting American stuff?

It seems the first thing to boycott (if you use it) is Uber, which scrabbled to scab the excellent NY taxi drivers' action. I believe their CEO is a Trump adviser as well. The advice I've seen is don't just delete the app, delete your account and tell them why.

I hope I've got that right, I've never used an app or Uber so I'm slightly uncertain. Ah, here we are.

The pictures from the airports were awesome. Well done Americans.

However, while all this dirty chaos was going on, Trump put Bannon on the NSC and removed the national intelligence director and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I'm starting to wonder if a military coup may be a realistic possibility. Military top brass should by now be well aware that this administration is a massive threat to worldwide stability, liable to drastically increase the likelihood of terrorist attacks and endanger American forces. Depends if they're happy with those outcomes I suppose, maybe they'd like a war.

The other thing that keeps occurring to me is the possibility of the US annexing/invading Canada. All those lovely resources, right next door. Who'd stop them if they wanted to?

Comment

Trump's Card

Seen plenty of people, including MPs, apparently shocked at Theresa May's non-response and describing her as 'spineless'. Were these people not paying attention to her tenure at the Home Office? She approves of this sort of thing.

Meanwhile, an explanation as to why there no mention of Jews in the White House statement on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Yeah, I think it's safe to use the f-word now, isn't it?

Comment

Trump's Card

delicatemoth wrote:
                                          Yeah, I think it's safe to use the f-word now, isn't it?
                                          I think it's fairly reasonable to start using almost any word now. Whatever wins.

Comment

Trump's Card

May is just hopelessly out of her depth here, isn't she? So is Trump, but in a different way.

I want to blow something up. Let me know when it's time to start blowing things up.

Comment

Trump's Card

I wonder how Trump is going to react to what he'll probably perceive as the judiciary interfering in his decisions.

Comment

Trump's Card

He'll probably try to fire the judges.

Comment

Trump's Card

Or deport them?

Comment

Trump's Card

It seems the first thing to boycott (if you use it) is Uber, which scrabbled to scab the excellent NY taxi drivers' action. I believe their CEO is a Trump adviser as well. The advice I've seen is don't just delete the app, delete your account and tell them why
                                                    I only used them once. I deleted Uber a month ago when I was in San Francsico. Uber started an experiment with driverless Ubers in San Francisco. The state of California immediately forbid them from doing so, because they did not have a permit to run a driverless service on public roads. But Uber said we don't care, we're doing it anyway. Fuck Uber.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X