X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump's Card

Fussbudget wrote:
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon
    I'd guess The Crown glosses over loads of Victoria's horrible deeds and traits, and gives a more Strikingly Modern Queen, an anachronistic Progressive kicking against stuffy convention.
    The Crown is about Elizabeth II, isn't it? Not that it changes your point or owt.
    Oh yeah it disnae! I picked the wrong show from Amor's list but it doesn't make slightest bit of difference at all. Fucking Tory insidiousness each reign (barring Thatch's antagonism toward Herself). Think it stuck in my head cos my sister was saying it's filling the Westworld gap and is up there with Mad Men. Thank Christ she's still up for Yes in the next hypothetical IndyRef. And Charles III after the next Queen's Big Cold to be replaced with a Mickey D Higgins style Scotch Pres.

They should let Jimmy McGovern do a period/servant's drama on the Beeb in a last act of fuck you pre-privatisiation.

Comment

Trump's Card

One take on Le Lit (not the only one possible, and en francais).

Comment

Trump's Card

I like this.

Tout de la peinture est expression chez Lautrec, il ne laisse aucune gratuité esthétique passer dans son oeuvre, l’exigence est absolue et on ne trouve aucune complaisance chez lui.

Comment

Trump's Card

Tender perhaps but erotic? Really?

Comment

Trump's Card

Etienne wrote: AP:
            BREAKING: Trump administration mandating EPA scientific studies, data undergo review by political staff before public release.

This is fucking insane.
            Christ.

Comment

Trump's Card

Harper did that in Canada if I recall correctly.

It's a favourite tactic of climate change denialists

Comment

Trump's Card

Elizabeth Warren's explanation for voting to confirm Ben Carson in committee.

https://www.facebook.com/senatorelizabethwarren/posts/716640075165155

Dr. Carson’s answers weren’t perfect. But at his hearing, he committed to track and report on conflicts of interest at the agency. In his written responses to me, he made good, detailed promises, on everything from protecting anti-homelessness programs to enforcing fair housing laws. Promises that – if they’re honored – would help a lot of working families.
                Can we count on Dr. Carson to keep those promises? I don’t know. People are right to be skeptical; I am. But a man who makes written promises gives us a toehold on accountability. If President Trump goes to his second choice, I don’t think we will get another HUD nominee who will even make these promises – much less follow through on them.
                If Dr. Carson doesn’t follow through on his commitments, I will be the very first person he hears from – loudly and clearly and frequently. I didn’t hesitate to criticize past HUD Secretaries when they fell short, and I won’t hesitate with Dr. Carson – not for one minute.
                THE. DEMOCRATS. HAVE. NO. FUCKING. CLUE.

(if we could do emojis on here, I'd insert the clapping hands there instead of periods).

It's like she thinks his fucking word makes a goddamn difference. Trump could start rounding up Muslims and Mexicans on trains, and Democratic politicians would watch and go "Sir. SIR. Do you have any idea what the historical parallels are to what you are doing?"

If this is what we're getting from Elizabeth Warren, we have no fucking chance with the Democrats.

Comment

Trump's Card

I dunno.

Anybody that gets nominated is going to be a complete shitbag. Carson is also completely unqualified and incompetent, so her play here seems to be to set a trap. And by voting for some of the nominees, she can vote against others and still claim she's bipartisan and cooperative, which might help her get along with the less insane Republicans in the few spots where there is a chance to make head-way.

Comment

Trump's Card

We can only hope/fear a Samizdat is already on the loose that will end Prez Gently's reign, Inca. I'd like some of Pemulis' special stuff right now if it could blot out this particular dimensional manifestation of the early 21st century.

Comment

Trump's Card

ursus arctos wrote: Harper did that in Canada if I recall correctly.
                      Yes, here's a digest of the consquences

Comment

Trump's Card

I'm with Reed on this. I don't think you can blanket vote against all of Trump's nominees. You understand that your political opponents are going to have shitty policies and are probably going to be incompetent. I don't think you can vote against them on those grounds, or every party would always vote en masse against opposition appointees.

Instead you have to vote against the ones that are disqualifying for reasons other than their politics. Like Tom Price for insider dealing; or Betsy DeVos for actually not knowing anything; or Rex Tillerson for his obvious connections to Russia; or Mick Mulvaney for not paying taxes; or James Mattis if you think there should be separate civilian oversight of the military; or Jeff Sessions for being a racist shitbag who's tried to destroy non-white citizens rights; or Rick Perry, who thinks his department shouldn't exist.

But I think you have to let pass the handful who are just horrible, but not automatically disqualifying themselves. I'd originally have put Carson into the top group, but apparently Warren thinks he got over that hurdle. Your Elaine Chao and Nikki Haley types, for example, are reasonable to let through the confirmation process. They're obviously terrible people, but that's never been disqualifying.

Comment

Trump's Card

Hot Pepsi wrote: I dunno.

Anybody that gets nominated is going to be a complete shitbag. Carson is also completely unqualified and incompetent, so her play here seems to be to set a trap. And by voting for some of the nominees, she can vote against others and still claim she's bipartisan and cooperative, which might help her get along with the less insane Republicans in the few spots where there is a chance to make head-way.
                          Are we still running along with the delusion that the Republican-controlled Congress and Senate will serve as check and balance on Trump?

Comment

Trump's Card

I wonder which shitbag he will pick as Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

Maybe poeple will be wishing Scalia had lived to 100.

Comment

Trump's Card

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote:
                              Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                              I dunno.

Are we still running along with the delusion that the Republican-controlled Congress and Senate will serve as check and balance on Trump?
                              Not really, but here and there, we might get a few Republicans - those who don't have any particular reason to kiss up to the party leadership - might be willing to draw a line on stuff that is clearly terrible or illegal and not popular in their own district. It doesn't benefit any GOP legislators for this administration to implode in a supernova of corruption and incompetence.

Comment

Trump's Card

To paraphrase Trump himself... Mike Pence could shout a pensioner repeatedly. In the face. And the Republicans still wouldn't care.

Comment

Trump's Card

Meanwhile, a bit of light relief from The Netherlands

Comment

Trump's Card

San Bernardhinault wrote: Instead you have to vote against the ones that are disqualifying for reasons other than their politics. Like Tom Price for insider dealing; or Betsy DeVos for actually not knowing anything; or Rex Tillerson for his obvious connections to Russia; or Mick Mulvaney for not paying taxes; or James Mattis if you think there should be separate civilian oversight of the military; or Jeff Sessions for being a racist shitbag who's tried to destroy non-white citizens rights; or Rick Perry, who thinks his department shouldn't exist.
                                    Or Mike Pompeo for being okay with torturing. Except our Senator couldn't even bring herself to vote against him.

Comment

Trump's Card

It's just one story, but I think it's very illustrative. Read the whole article. He's either stupid, or is losing cognitive abilities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-bernhard-langer-voting-fraud.html?_r=1&referer=https://t.co/MU5TAHryYL

Comment

Trump's Card

So many of his anecdotes have a bizarre Mad Libs quality about them. Bernard Länger?!?!?!?

Comment

Trump's Card

Comment

Trump's Card

More than once I've thought that our senior senator has a bit of a fighty, angry, non-internationalist approach on foreign and defense matters. She appears basically sound on domestic policy, but the more I hear her on military and foreign stuff, the more unsure she makes me. I'm not surprised she's more tolerant of a bit of quiet torturey behaviour than she should be.

Comment

Trump's Card

There appear to be a lot of 'resistance' accounts being set up on Twitter by folk working in departments which have had official communications shut down or otherwise controlled by Trump, and similar stuff - including @WhiteHouseLeaks, which we can't of course know the veracity of at this stage, and @AltNatParkSer, set up by National Park Service employees to keep pushing the message out. Good luck to them (the ones that are genuine, at least).

Comment

Trump's Card

White House Leaks is already gone, but yeah

Comment

Trump's Card

Looks like it was just set up again a few minutes ago, although as I type it's without an avatar, cover pic or any of the tweets that were there previously.

Comment

Trump's Card

https://twitter.com/DavidJHoyt/status/824066409995137025

Comment

Working...
                                                    X