No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. Sounds like Moore's uncounted ballots might well increase the Jones margin. I hadn't appreciated that before.

Michael McDonald‏
    @ElectProject
    Follow Follow @ElectProject
    Counterintuitively military & overseas civilian votes tend more Dem cuz often more overseas civilians than military

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

Of course, just about everyone in Ireland who hasn’t emigrated seems just fine with losing the right to vote if outside the country during an election. No postal votes, and a firmly held belief that not paying taxes to the State means you lose all rights to vote. Which is convenient, esp in periods of economic crisis and mass, pissed off, emigration.

Also the reverse of Brit voting patterns: an election held midweek or during term time will reduce the Student vote in Ireland (prob cos most leave it to mammy to register them back in their townland), whereas Corbyn got huge amounts of his vote from College and Uni students, thanks to the idiot Tories running the election during term time.

Not saying you should have a permanent right to vote if you don’t live there (perfectly happy at a 10-15 year cut off), but this bullshit that you need to be “paying into” the system to have a voice, the logic, if you’re a nasty Iain Docherty Indo Bastard type drunk, is to deny the franchise to the Feckless and Idle still in the State.

Although I guess US Citizens never escape the clammy clutches of the IRS, wherever you are.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-12-2017, 21:52.

Comment

Farentold resigns his Texas seat. The same guy failed the rape hypothetical.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rump-rape-brag

He also admitted the wall was bullshit

https://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2016...-admits-trumps

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Although I guess US Citizens never escape the clammy clutches of the IRS, wherever you are.
            With the caveat that the tax paid by American expats is mitigated if they live in countries, such as Britain, with which the US has a “double-taxation” agreement. This means they do not have to pay the American taxman if they have already handed over the equivalent tax here. However, they have to file a tax return in both countries every year.

Comment

Of course, just about everyone in Ireland who hasn’t emigrated seems just fine with losing the right to vote if outside the country during an election. No postal votes, and a firmly held belief that not paying taxes to the State means you lose all rights to vote. Which is convenient, esp in periods of economic crisis and mass, pissed off, emigration.
              My personal revenge, which I started around ten years ago: Whenever anybody asks me for advice on scenic places in Ireland, I recommend Ullapool.

Next autumn I will head down to the Swedish embassy in Paris and vote in a general election for the first time in my life.

Comment

Haha! Ullapool and surrounds are lovely but. Torridon (a little bit further south down the coast) is like Monument Valley type horizontal banded rocks dipped in West Coast Ireland style damp.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-12-2017, 23:17.

Comment

In the contemporary system here, it is actually quite difficult for major parties to prevent well-funded “insurgents” from contesting primaries.

It used to be that the lack of party support and funds was such a severe handicap that most insurgents never even ran, but in a world where zillionaires like the Mercers and Kochs are allowed to make largely unlimited contributions, the support of only one of them makes a candidate immediately viable.

Comment

How much damage could Omarosa do? OTOH it seems odd that it would take her this long to realize that Trump was a toxic racist, and that her role was clearly that of token black fig-leaf.

Comment

I can't see her being able to do any damage. Even if she says "He called me a n***er bitch and tried to rape me", that seems like it would play well with his base.

Comment

Of course, just about everyone in Ireland who hasn’t emigrated seems just fine with losing the right to vote if outside the country during an election. No postal votes, and a firmly held belief that not paying taxes to the State means you lose all rights to vote
                        Two separate issues surely? No postal votes is either Luddite or (as for UKIP here) a dog-whistle. They oppose because others- mainly Labour- are assumed to use the Asian/ Muslim bloc vote fraudulently. Of course their largely pensioner base is the group that benefits most from the PV.

Everyone in Kiltimagh pays indirect taxes, VAT and so on. So residence is a fair qualification to vote.

Originally posted by Ad Hoc
                        "Poster most likely to write something which you have no idea what it means"
                        Gero and Spoony do pioneering work for minority language(s); Guy and I generally keep the obscurity to one niche thread. Crossword clues go cryptic, whatever next?
                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 15-12-2017, 11:14.

Comment

Don't undersell yourself, you frequently write incomprehensible posts outside the crossword thread (and indeed on that thread - within context - you don't)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            Don't undersell yourself, you frequently write incomprehensible posts outside the crossword thread (and indeed on that thread - within context - you don't)
                            Put it in your next bestseller, Prof

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Never a truer word...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                Put it in your next bestseller, Prof
                                U OK hun?

Comment

Also the reverse of Brit voting patterns: an election held midweek or during term time will reduce the Student vote in Ireland (prob cos most leave it to mammy to register them back in their townland), whereas Corbyn got huge amounts of his vote from College and Uni students, thanks to the idiot Tories running the election during term time.

Not saying you should have a permanent right to vote if you don’t live there (perfectly happy at a 10-15 year cut off), but this bullshit that you need to be “paying into” the system to have a voice, the logic, if you’re a nasty Iain Docherty Indo Bastard type drunk, is to deny the franchise to the Feckless and Idle still in the State.

Not a fan of people who emigrated losing their right to vote. As if US policy 5,000 miles away has no impact on my life, regardless of the fact I don't owe the IRS squat.

I mean, for one thing, if the US turned into a paradise of vibrant social democracy, I'd probably flee this fucking island.

Comment

The USA is unique in this respect because Trump clearly can damage the quality of life for Americans abroad, who get tarred with the "racist" brush and may be subjected to various forms of passive aggression by Europeans. Britain's overseas vote is probably a legacy of colonialism and (as with Germany) a historical tendency to define Britishness by bloodline rather than residency. I mean, a person of Jamaican descent who has lived in the UK continuously from birth has a bigger stake than I do, given I left in 2006, but many British whites would make the opposite inference purely from my skin colour and where my grandparents were born.

But leaving that aside, I clearly paid much tax before I left (as did Madame Distel) and I could go back in the future, so it's not a simple equation of emigration = permanent disassociation and disregard for past associations and contributions with the mother country.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-12-2017, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      The USA is unique in this respect because Trump clearly can damage the quality of life for Americans abroad, who get tarred with the "racist" brush and may be subjected to various forms of passive aggression by Europeans. Britain's overseas vote is probably a legacy of colonialism and (as with Germany) a historical tendency to define Britishness by bloodline rather than residency. I mean, a person of Jamaican descent who has lived in the UK continuously from birth has a bigger stake than I do, given I left in 2006, but many British whites would make the opposite inference purely from my skin colour and where my grandparents were born.

But leaving that aside, I clearly paid much tax before I left (as did Madame Distel) and I could go back in the future, so it's not a simple equation of emigration = permanent disassociation and disregard for past associations and contributions with the mother country.
                                      Well, you guys have that weirdo thing where people who aren't UK citizens can vote provided they're from an approved list of countries that play cricket, and the other weirdo thing of native-born Britons not actually being so because mummy and daddy were from elsewhere and so they only have that passport. Which means they might not even able to vote if their ancestral homeland doesn't play cricket.

Comment

A clip of a guy who Trump nominated to be a judge being interviewed for the job.

Comment

The USA is unique in this respect because Trump clearly can damage the quality of life for Americans abroad, who get tarred with the "racist" brush and may be subjected to various forms of passive aggression by Europeans.
                                          Obviously anecdotal, but I never was a subject of this in my dozen or so pre-45 years living abroad. People would ask you about bizarre US policy announcements or "customs" (like guns and the death penalty), but they wouldn't assume that you were in favour of all such nonsense. It's more likely to be true with respect to monolingual US tourists that are just passing through, but then they often engage in behaviour that alienates residents completely on their own.

AP's clip is part of the only decent thing the GOP-majority on the Senate Judiciary Committee has done since the election, namely rejecting two of the administration's most unqualified ideologues for judgeships with life tenure.
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 15-12-2017, 13:31.

Comment

I've seen far more obnoxious Americans in British TV dramas than I have in real life.

Comment

Domicile and residency are two very different concepts in UK law, although the latter influences the former. It's all terribly complicated and designed to spread the net of Inheritance Tax as far as possible. As an example

Richard Burton’s request for burial of his body in a red suit, together with a copy of Dylan Thomas’ poems, was fatal to his plans to avoid UK inheritance tax (IHT). The result was an IHT bill of GBP2.4 million, when the UK Revenue successfully claimed that he had kept his ‘emotional ties’ to Wales, even though he had lived in Switzerland for the last 26 years of his life.

Comment

Tom Jones is fucked then.

Comment

CDC gets list of forbidden words

That is, words they're not allowed to use in official budget-related documents. Quite ominous imo.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Comment

https://twitter.com/MackenzieAstin/s...59382864437248

Comment

Working...
                                                    X