Page 460 of 463 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,500 of 11560

Thread: Trump's Card

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Well, that sounds simple and straightforward.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Regarding the USA:

Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)
    Interesting. In the upcoming municipal elections here, voting stations are being set up in homeless shelters and tent cities. Guess US elections are more complicated. That must be it, right?

It's what the Founding Fathers wanted

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    While the Founding Fathers clearly never wanted Native Americans to have a vote, it's not explicitly in the text so I'm sure the Textualist Federalists will restore the franchise forthwith.

Particularly neat when you can purge the voters yourself for the election you're running in.

I mean, I don't think it makes any difference which particular "conservative Republican" is in charge of elections, but I would have expected that they'd at least want to give the appearance there wasn't an egregious conflict of interest.

This is rather depressing. Any chance of a shift in these numbers, especially in Nevada?

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1050342864062955520

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    I don't think it makes any difference which particular "conservative Republican" is in charge of elections, but I would have expected that they'd at least want to give the appearance there wasn't an egregious conflict of interest.
    Hahahaha. Remember when the Secretary of State for Florida was Bush's campaign co-chair in the state?

Katherine Harris? I didn't know that about her, was thinking more of Jeb's role at the time.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    See also Ken Blackwell, Kris Kobach etc. They seem to make it a point of pride to suppress minority voters while having an egregious conflict of interest. Not that the conflict of interest is as important as, you know, suppressing minority voters.

I'm a Kobach watcher.

Tubbs, Vox has been good on Nevada.

Here's an example.

I think one learns much more from reporting that isolated polling (or much polling at all when it comes to the midterms, really).

Thanks, Ursus.

Nevada is such a strange place.

It has been “right to work” for generations, but has some of the strongest and most politically active unions in the country. And it’s population is so small that the impact of demographic changes is accelerated.

And that’s before you get to the Adelson Effect.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    The Heller machine is in total overdrive. We are getting glossy (overhead projector type) transparency adverts through the mail every day now for 2 weeks. There are at least 20 Heller commercials every day (and yes, about the same for Rosen). Heller has the backing of the Governor (who seems to be ok for a Republican), who hasn't backed Laxalt for Attorney General.

It's going to be very close, and I can't see Rosen winning.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    And re: the population. I thought it was pretty liberal, but recently I am coming across more ouvert right-wing nutbaggery, even by one (ex) friend, who turned out to be a racist fuckwit. If it goes by numbers of votes, Rosen has a chance, but if it's by number of counties won, Heller will clean up. (Not sure which.)

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Non-Vegas Nevada is really, really weird. Almost all the towns are really shitty - what towns there are - and the population seems to be half from the scary-end-of-mormonism; the other half are genuine loner libertarian anti-government, off-gridders (there's obviously quite a lot of overlap between these groups). It's enough to make the electorate and population (and, indeed, city) of Las Vegas seem relatively normal and sane.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    I wonder if the hurricane damage might affect turnout for GOP in those very conservative FL counties whose big turnout in 2016 gave the state to Trump.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    There's some argument that the hurricane is a godsend to Rick Scott, who's been down in lots of recent polling, because it allows a Governor to look important and busy while not campaigning; which is something not available to a senator.

I tend to doubt that will happen to a significant extent, and that if it does, it would be at best breakeven with the new registrations that were lost in the few days preceding the storm. There is a definite reason why the state government is fighting all attempts to extend the registration deadline.

SB, you forgot the Basque ranchers and Reno/the NV side of Lake Tahoe (which remind me of New Hampshire in some ways).

They rode over peasants like you
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Basque ranchers? Wow.

They rode over peasants like you
    Teams
    Raith Rovers/Liverpool
    Biscuit
    Abernethies
    Wonder if the originalist Supreme Court will find a way to argue against States rights on that one.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    Death penalty in Washington state has been ruled as breaching the state's own constitution, meaning that the SCOTUS cannot overturn the ruling, I think.

There are some really good traditional Basque restaurants in rural Nevada, Spoony.

Satchmo is right. The Washington ruling means capital punishment is no longer available for any state crimes and that the death sentences of everyone on death row there (less than a dozen) have been commuted to life in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    There's some argument that the hurricane is a godsend to Rick Scott, who's been down in lots of recent polling, because it allows a Governor to look important and busy while not campaigning; which is something not available to a senator.
    Nelson had a tiny lead in some recent polls.

Is anybody going to change their opinion of Scott or be reminded of him because there's a hurricane?