No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to mention that Gore would have won if Florida didn't ban felons from voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven Saxon Kings View Post
      I think you're being too optimistic. I'd assume he was there because he thinks they can win the Democrat Senate seat but as he was there wanted to talk about the House candidate too.
      Gianforte didn't exactly waltz to victory against a bar band singer, so it's not inconceivable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
        (Is no-one getting this? WIN first. Then worry about the consequences. Shit, what the fuck do you think 45 is doing?)
        Yes, this is how you win.

People don't really like the Democratic Party. Democrats don't like the Democratic Party. They aren't Republicans who march to the polls no matter what. If they don't have a reason to vote, they won't.

Comment

Healthcare is a reason to vote, and a focus all over the place.

http://mediaproject.wesleyan.edu/releases/101818-tv/

Comment

https://twitter.com/DavidCayJ/status/1053279625571434498

Comment

Dodge City is one of the most charmless towns of historical note that I've ever been in. The stink of cattle feedlots was enough to make me nostalgic for the disneyfied-westernness of Tombstone and its racist English barmen.

Comment

Kris Kobach has been busy, I see.

Comment

As Ginsburg warned:

"throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet."

Comment

Though it is worth noting that Kansas was never subject to preclearance under the Voting Rights Act.

The depressing reality is that the Roberts court killed pre-clearance at a time when it very much needed to be expanded due to the spread of profoundly racist state governments.

Comment

A fair bit was made of how unfair it was that those 9 (?) were picked out unfairly. I mean, how difficult would it be to pre-clear every change from (say) state district up?

Can a new civil rights act fix everything that needs fixing?

Comment

The 1964 Civil Rights Act couldn’t pass in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          Not to mention that Gore would have won if Florida didn't ban felons from voting.
                          Why do you think crims in Florida would have voted for Gore? The clue is in the word, Florida.

Comment

He "lost" by 537.

Hundreds of thousands of black people were banned from voting as "felons". And indeed still are, though they're working on it with a ballot iniative.

Comment

Comment

Kentucky's long standing felons ban (briefly repealed, then restored) might even have got Mitch McConnell foisted on us.

He won his 1984 Senate election by 5,000.

Comment

Weren’t you just talking about how the Voting Rights Act states were unfairly singled out?

Comment

I was talking about somebody saying that- was it Roberts? But yeah.

Comment

Actually, I see somebody found that the disenfranchised felons would have favoured Bush in 2000.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...109-010-9150-9

Comment

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1053743368029790208

Comment

Does anyone know quite what's happening in the Alaska gubernatorial race? It all seems to have gone a bit crazy.

It had looked like a clear win for the Republicans because it was a three way race.

Bill Walker was in office as an independent, but had previously been a Republican. He got elected in 2014, oddly, on the back mostly of Democratic votes, having merged his campaign with Democrat Byron Mallott, who became Lt Governor.

This year, Democratic former Senator Mark Begich decided to run his ego and try and beat both a Republican and an independent who'd been elected by Democrats. Unsurprisingly, the polls showed a 45-27-27 split with the Republican winning.

But over the last week, Mallott seems to have resigned over some dodgy comments, and almost immediately afterwards, Walker looks to have suspended his campaign. Is he also caught up in a scandal, or does he actually want a Democrat to win? They'll still be on the ballot - too late for that - but there's now an outside chance for the Democrats in this race.

Comment

Alaska politics is crazy, which is why Palin was a thing and Murkowski won as a write-in.

Comment

Well, it looks like we have another season of crazy this time around. The phrase "polling Alaska is tricky" seems to be one of the bigger understatements I've heard. Understanding Alaska is also pretty tricky. Lots of Native Americans. Lots of Libertarian loners. Lots of environmentalists. Lots of oilmen. Lots of people thoroughly dependent on state aid of one sort or another. It's not easy to create a coherent political narrative out of that lot.

Comment

Is pulling out of the nuclear deal with Russia more than a symbolic big deal?

Comment

Most importantly, not a lot of people.

Walker won last time with fewer than 135,000 votes.

The small elecorate amplifies the impact of all the craziness.

Comment

AE, I think it depends on what comes next.

Bolton and 45 want to go on a missle building spree, which would be substantively awful.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X