Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz

Teams
    Whoever was on the cover of World Soccer in the 90s
    Biscuit
    Speculaas
    On a positive note, they are insanely shook by Ocasio-Cortez, a 28 year old ex-bartender who hasn't even been elected to Congress yet.

Liberals should take note of this. The right is scared by her, because she embodies a huge demographic: young people who ain't buying this free market bullshit because it's only brought them misery.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    So legal residents in the US legally use the health care insurance services provided to all residents by the government. Government then uses that fact to say those residents should be punished when applying for citizenship.

Surely there is no fucking way this could even get past a rigged Supreme Court...

What next? You drove on public roads while you lived in the US, therefore you can't become a citizen?

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    So legal residents in the US legally use the health care insurance services provided to all residents by the government. Government then uses that fact to say those residents should be punished when applying for citizenship.
    Worse that that, if citizens related to legal residents use services for citizens, then the legal residents would be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by anton pulisov View Post
    Surely there is no fucking way this could even get past a rigged Supreme Court...
    The article does say that this has already been somewhat the case, cf. Using some public benefits like Social Security Insurance has already hindered immigrants from obtaining legal status in the past. Therefore it doesn't sound that it's likely to be struck down by the Supreme Court.

Not to be overly legalistic, but it is a question of process and degree.

The existing regulations allow for denial if the applicant can be proven to be a significant burden to the welfare state (such as it is here). The wording used to be "public charge", but I'm not sure it is still is.

In any event, being reliant on SSI could be part of such a case under the existing regime, but would not be enough on its own to be outcome-determinative (thus the article's use of "hindered").

What Sessions, Miller and their fellow white supremacists are trying to do now is to establish a regime where virtually any reliance on public funds or services would be sufficient cause to deny citizenship to legal residents. Such a draconian regime would certainly be challenged in the courts and could well be overturned, given established precedents.

Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly clear that the white supremacists have learned from their repeated kickings over the Muslim/Travel Ban and are now being more careful than they were initially when drafting and implementing their nefarious plans.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    A few observations:

1) There must be a fair few white people who have used Obamacare or some other welfare service before becoming legal. Some GOP voters among them.

2) A hidden function of welfare is to subsidize low-paid farmwork. The subsidy really helps the farmer, so eventually this will fuck a few farmers.

3) It's an obvious trial balloon for removing the welfare state entirely but again who is going to subsidize the poverty-wage paying employer?

4) Welfare money goes back into the economy as even poor people buy stuff that adds up to billions (trillions?) of dollars. Remove that and you remove a lot of growth.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-08-2018 at 13:15.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Choco Leibniz
    So will a trade war, but that didn't stop him.

One reason for the problems of say the American car industry against its German competition was that it had to assume the costs of health care for its workers.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    That's often cited as a reason for locating an auto plant in Canada. On top of the .80 cent dollar, health care is borne largely by the province and not the employer.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Reverend View Post
    Should just see if Palitoy/Action Man will let them use their old Space Force logo.

Action Force! I recall there was a comic that eventually merged the story into the Cobra line of toys.

I had Steeler and his tank, it was absolutely brilliant.

Senator Dot Cotton did some anti-immigration stuff last year. Did that go anywhere?

Never got out of committee.

They are having much better luck promoting white supremacism through executive orders and regulatory action than via actual legislation.

Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Great quote but W.E.B. DuBois expressed it earlier in his concept of "the psychological wage"

https://items.ssrc.org/beyond-the-wa...iblack-racism/

But I'm not sure if, in today's integrated economy, you can target non-whites as forensically as Jim Crow did using executive power. I think there are unintended consequences there where some whites also get hurt. But maybe the calculus is that the white victims will find a way to blame the non-whites even then, as they did in Du Bois' era.

That's exactly what the calculus is.

It's also consciously a very short term strategy grounded in stirring up "the base" for the midterms and 2020 and not caring very much if the longer-term effects of the policies end up turning the GOP into a long-term minority party.

Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    But if they can't get citizenship, they can't vote, so it's an electoral ploy against the demographics; but eventually those demographics will come through from the Latino kids who were born here who are presumably going to be lifelong Dems after this, whereas the GOP base is going to meet the Grim Reaper and largely not be replaced.

And of course those Latino kids are one of the primary targets of their voter suppression crusade.

They are profoundly horrible human beings.

I wouldn't count on anybody being lifelong Dems. The Dems suck.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    The system is sort of designed and built for suckage, though. I mean, the fact that you don't have an identifiable 'leader of the opposition' who can provide thought-leadership to balance the party in power. Imagine if you had someone sane and sober - like a Sanders* or a Biden - who had a platform to address Trump's lunacy on a daily basis.

* yes, yes...I know

Chris Colllins, the SuperTrumper upstate NY congressman indicted for insider trading earlier this week, has officially suspended his re-election campaign, thereby putting what had been seen as a very safe GOP seat very much in play.

Teams
    Oxford United
    Biscuit
    Petit Ecolier (milk chocolate)
    I've been fascinated by the bizarre tales of how he's got to try and get himself off the ballot. He either needs to be appointed judge somewhere, or he needs to move out of state, or he needs to die, it appears.

Biscuit
    tulskiy pryaniki
    Superpertrumperper
    Superpertrumperper
    Feeling like a number one

We are Groot
    Teams
    Shrewsbury Town, Wales, Cardiff Devils
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggchaser View Post
    Action Force! I recall there was a comic that eventually merged the story into the Cobra line of toys.

I had Steeler and his tank, it was absolutely brilliant.
    I loved Action Force. I've still got loads boxed up somewhere.