Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    True. But there was always the sense of "the US supports Israel but tries to do so while paying lip service to the Geneva conventions"
    Perhaps, but that went out the window as soon as Trump showed up and named his foreign policy team and put his fucking idiot son-in-law in charge of Middle East policy. This just confirms what should have already been obvious.

As it is, he is extending the waiver of the 95 law that keeps the US embassy in Tel Aviv for. Ow because it will take years to move it. So there may be hope that this decision can be reversed, either by the next president or maybe a better congress. That’s is, if there were the political will, but I’m not sure there ever will be, even with Democrats in charge.

The whole idea of capitol cities in this day and age is kind of dumb anyway. Or, hopefully it will be soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I was unaware that there was anyone left in the world who hoped the US was a remotely honest broker in this situation, especially after Trump took over.
      Well there certainly aren't now.

This is surely the most parochial and boneheaded decision he's made to date — and that's a pretty high bar. It practically guarantees conflict in the region for another generation, as it'll take years, apparently, for the US to make the transition from Tel Aviv. There'll be demonstrations and unrest every step of the way, which will inevitably increase reprisals. And why? To increase popularity with his base in Ohio I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        Unless you mean that newly radicalised people will want to join Daesh now. In which case you may be right.
        That's exactly what I mean

Comment

Worth reading Edward Said's piece on Jerusalem from a few years ago (obviously, as he's no longer with us) for some context and history http://www.palestine-studies.org/sit...5_edward_2.pdf

Comment

This photo shows my childhood home from 1967-70. We lived next door to the British Consulate to Palestine. UJ looks a bit limp, as if they borrowed it from a Belfast bonfire...

The Brit Embassy is in Tel Aviv, hopefully to remain...

Comment

Hamas announces new intifada.

Well played, Trump, well played.

Comment

Trump would gladly bring about the end of the world if it meant he was able to say "That was me. I did that."

Comment

So there may be hope that this decision can be reversed, either by the next president or maybe a better congress. That’s is, if there were the political will, but I’m not sure there ever will be, even with Democrats in charge.
                  There is always hope, but the problem with reversal is that legislation in support of this has always passed Congress with what the Italians call "Bulgarian Majorities". The last Senate vote was 98-0. A significant part of that was that it was seen as a free vote when the President was a responsible adult, but it will be genuinely difficult to reverse that result, even if the Democrats take control (see, e.g., Chuck Schumer's cheer leading yesterday)

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post

No doubt it’s exactly what he and his merry band of hysterical supporters want.

Comment

Light relief in these dark times- Trump Jnr has told a House committee that his conversation with his father are covered by lawyer-client privilege because there were some lawyers also there.

Comment

Oh, Fredo...

Comment

It's an administration of 100% Fredos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                            Light relief in these dark times- Trump Jnr has told a House committee that his conversation with his father are covered by lawyer-client privilege because there were some lawyers also there.
                            A product of the finest education money can buy.

Comment

As mentioned in the Weinstein thread but crossing over here, Franken has resigned as a senator.

Comment

The Democratic Governor will appoint Franken's successor, who will serve until a special election in November 2018 (therefore creating the unusual situation of both of a state's US Senate's seat being contested at the same time).

Comment

Of course if he was a Republican senator, his transgressions would be seen as a badge of honour and he look forward to an increased majority.

Comment

Popehat saves me the trouble of explaining the intricacies of attorney-client privilege

Comment

Franken's resignation is clearly the right thing to do. But it's also easy, because the governor is a Democrat and because 2018 will probably be a relatively good year for Democrats. If it was someone from a state with a Republican governor - Donnely or Manchin, for instance, the right thing would have much worse consequences.

Comment

Two senate elections as once sounds like a disaster for the Democrats. "Elect one of each" has a certain proportional logic.

Comment

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/938586719712108545

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post

As some articles have made clear, the reason that this decision should be opposed is not because it's a threat to peace but because it is fundamentally the wrong thing to do. It is appeasement. It legitimises an illegal occupation. It goes against the Geneva conventions. The results of this are worrying. But we should not forget the real problem with it

Comment

Absolutely correct

Comment

I would note Trump's racist motivation: to cause pain and insult to Muslims. But I agree totally that the shameful political ethics are of wider significance.

Comment

Trump has just tweeted MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN with a screenshot of his latest approval rating: 45%

You can't make this shit up.

Comment

That US speech at the Security Council, fucking hell. There hasn’t been a US admin in any way at all hostile to Israel since Ike and Suez.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X