No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the Democrats also point to their votes for the $25bn for the border wall as part of one of today's failed bills. And now never offer it again. Tell the world that Trump and the Republicans turned down the border wall because they were too desperate to keep families apart and reduce legal immigration. Every time a Dreamer is deported, they should point out that they were willing to pay for the border wall to save these kids but Trump and McConnell refused because they're just too racist and nasty to accept this.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      The first Dreamers to be deported will be on Trump and I don't see how any deflection/blame-shift strategy can shield Trump from the resultant anger and shame. How could he hope to hold Florida, for example?
      But surely the people who voted for him want precisely this. And hasn't Florida practically always been Republican? Why will the majority disown him because he got rid of a bunch of brown people, when that's what they wanted anyway?

Comment

I don't think it is hyperbole to describe the forced removals under DACA as "ethnic cleansing". It's not a term that applies only to to Bosnia and Myanmar or Palestine or apartheid South Africa. This is not about immigration; it's about racism. I wish the Dems were not so craven and call this shit what it actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          But surely the people who voted for him want precisely this. And hasn't Florida practically always been Republican? Why will the majority disown him because he got rid of a bunch of brown people, when that's what they wanted anyway?
          No, Florida is one of the archetypal bell weather states, it's voted for a losing presidential candidate once since 1952. It's also got a lot of Hispanics, the Cuban Republicans are some of the few GOP members who are publicly in favor of a path to citizenship for DACA recipients.

The MAGA chuds want this, but Dreamers are very popular and even Trump has occaisonally shown sympathy for them on the campaign trail. The optics of this are bad, deporting the captain of the high school soccer team who speaks flawless English with an American accent looks much worse than deporting a laborer who doesn't speak English at all.

This is why quite a few people on the left are mildly uncomfortable about all of this. Not to the point of actually opposing what the Democrats are trying to do, but they've pointed out that the Dreamers are essentially the cream of illegal immigrants, Americans in all but name, and that it would be nice to see some more efforts to, say, make the Dreamers' parents legal.
          Last edited by Flynnie; 16-02-2018, 10:09.

Comment

It's possible that even Trump would not be dumb enough to actually start deporting them as opposed to leaving them in legal limbo, perhaps with no work permits and driving licenses. That would still mean people seeing their skilled and hardworking colleagues being fired. For example, if I were teaching alongside a DACA colleague, he'd be gone because universities are meticulous record-keepers about renewal of work permits. Might be interesting though if some employers kept them on illegally as an act of civil disobedience.

Ethnic cleansing of Mexicans has happened before, in the 1930s and 1950s as well as after Texas became a state.

Comment

Good summary of the state of play on immigration

But treating this situation as a normal negotiation fundamentally obscures its profound asymmetry. One side is putting forth genuine good-faith compromise offers that would require concessions by both sides. The other just isn’t doing this at all — instead, they are demanding that they must be given everything they want, while spinning their demands as reasonable in a manner that is absolutely saturated with bad faith from top to bottom.

Comment

Well yeah, this has been the GOP's modus operandi since 2008. This is why lots of people were mad they caved on the shutdown.

Comment

The Democrats have a problem, though. They know the Republicans are basically functioning as an anti-government, as an anti-party. And, during the Obama years they were led by someone who was a very visible face of calm, collected competence. So they have set themselves in opposition to the Republicans in the sense that they are the party of actually governing, of being the grown ups in the room. They have to be the party of regular order, of give and take.

So if they roleplay as Republicans, just shutting it all down, of holding their breath until they faint, they lose a large part of their sales pitch. The Republicans can also do this because they actually are Randian fucknuts who want everything to be chaos. Democrats, on the whole, think government makes things better, so shutting the government is arguably doing the Republicans a favour.

I'm not sure that the Dems could do anything but cave on the shutdown. Their problem, really, is that they tried to use a shutdown as leverage at all. It was silly tactics from the outset.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...arged-election

Robert Mueller. Photograph: Andrew Harnik/AP
                    Thirteen Russians have been criminally charged for interfering in the 2016 US election to help Donald Trump, the office of Robert Mueller, the special counsel, announced on Friday.

Comment

This is very serious, but there is still room for silliness

https://twitter.com/mcgregormt/status/964569424924741635

Comment

I can't tell if this is a big deal, in terms of Trump, or a bit of a nothing because it just focuses on Russians who were playing with Facebook algorithms, which we've always known was happening and has no direct link to Trumpland.

Comment

We don’t know yet

That said, it does provide a host of predicate offenses onto which conspiracy charges could be laid.

Fox is gleefully reporting the very limited allegations of the “organization’s” support for Sanders and Stein as exonerating their guy. Their contempt for their audience’s intelligence is just breathtaking.

Comment

Trump said the whole Russia thing was bollocks, didn't he?

Comment

Yeah, but Trump doesn't seem to understand the difference between Russian interference, Russia rigging the election for Trump to win, and Trump campaign collusion with Russia.

Comment

Shouldn't that be a major political problem?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  I can't tell if this is a big deal, in terms of Trump, or a bit of a nothing because it just focuses on Russians who were playing with Facebook algorithms, which we've always known was happening and has no direct link to Trumpland.
                                  https://twitter.com/Zeddary/status/964562156044906496

Comment

Tubbs, there are dozens of things that should be a major political problem, but this is the US in 2018

Comment

He is so staggeringly stupid

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/964594780088033282

Comment

Is there even an aside to acknowledge it's about the country too?

Comment

Yet again, I thought you were paying attention.

Comment

Tubbs, does The Donald give half a fuck about the country except as it effects his own gain or loss?

EDIT: ach, never refreshed and saw The Collective saying it best
                                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-02-2018, 21:12.

Comment

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/964560855391236097

Comment

I'm paying attention. But I'll never get why this isn't a problem for him.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
                                                @realDonaldTrump
                                                Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
                                                More
                                                I strongly pressed President Putin twice about Russian meddling in our election. He vehemently denied it. I've already given my opinion.....

4:31 am - 9 Jul 2017

Comment

If you don't understand why it's not a problem, you're not paying attention.

Comment

You need something like our Prime Minister's Questions. I'll never slag that institution off again. President has to go into the Senate every so often and answer questions from both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X