No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that the tax cuts aren't anything like passed yet, but I thought there was a problem with just handing out big freebies on a 51-49 vote. What has to happen for it to become law?

Comment

Read this.

Actually drafting a bill would help . . .

Comment

Flynnn was “only” a three star, and is fully occupied with flailing to keep himself out of jail.

A selection of the four stars 45 has bashed

Comment

Thanks. That sounds fun, drafting a bill.

Comment

Given that they couldn't produce a coherent PowerPoint slide, it is going to be a challenge

Comment

May include asterisks.

Comment

Video shows Kelly was lying about Congresswoman Wilson.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/u...son-niger.html

I know we did this before, but it's still incredible to me that his libellous arse isn't sued.

Comment

So it's a gender thing?

Comment

I know I said this last time, but you'd be in trouble for that over here.

Comment

Lucky you

Comment

I don't actually know how much trouble a mouthy racist, sexist arsehole Tory would get in to. Boris Johnson is, after all, still foreign secretary. And people are talking about sacking him not because of his "outspoken" comments, but only because of his attempts to overthrow the leadership

Comment

But class matters there. Boris can code his racism in the euphemisms of the upper middle class and be OK. He would not get away with naked bar-room racism and misognyny that plays to the Trump male base.

"wacky" is race and class; male and white privilege entwined, not easily separable. Intersectionality would be the technical term. https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...nality-meaning

Comment

My point is that Tubby is in wishful-thinking-land if he thinks UK politicians would get in trouble for that, if the constituency of those politicians is Tory activists. Same with Trump and his base.

Comment

I thought that Tubbs was positing that Pence would be at risk of a libel action in the UK.

I have my doubts that any such action would be brought and (even more that it would win), but that scenario is certainly more likely in the UK than in the US (which is, incidentally, why libel tourism to England and Wales is a thing).

Comment

You mean Kelly not Pence?

Kelly made a factually untrue statement about Wilson taking credit for something she didn't. But as you say, defamation needs more than a lie; there has to be a serious risk that it would damage Wilson's reputation, such as an accusation of criminal conduct.

In addition, Wilson's response is probably the best, namely with mockery: to treat Kelly as a weak liar covering for a pathological liar.

Comment

Yes, thanks for clarifying that.

I'd also note that Wilson is very much a public figure for these purposes and that she would also have to prove "actual malice" on Kelly's part.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    My point is that Tubby is in wishful-thinking-land if he thinks UK politicians would get in trouble for that, if the constituency of those politicians is Tory activists. Same with Trump and his base.
                                    I meant Kelly lying about what Wilson said.

Cameron and Michael Fallon lied about somebody an Imam saying he was a supporter of Islamic State. He called in the lawyers and they had to apologize. I suppose that's a bit stronger than what Kelly did.

Andy Burnham also threatened to call in lawyers about something Jeremy Hunt said and Hunt stopped saying it.

Comment

Jeff Flake is the latest Republican senator who's quitting rather than having to fight a primary against the Trumpists.

He's always been a bit of a right-wing nutter, so I can't see him voting against too much of the upcoming Republican agenda. He'll be like Corker, I suspect. A lot of noise against Trump, but not a lot of actual action to moderate the madness.

But it does mean that Kelli Ward is likely to be the Republican candidate in Arizona, which can only be a good thing in terms of making that race more competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                        I meant Kelly lying about what Wilson said.

Cameron and Michael Fallon lied about somebody an Imam saying he was a supporter of Islamic State. He called in the lawyers and they had to apologize. I suppose that's a bit stronger than what Kelly did.

Andy Burnham also threatened to call in lawyers about something Jeremy Hunt said and Hunt stopped saying it.
                                        Protected speech about public figures is pretty strong in the States Tubbs. kelly could probably just tell the lawyers to go whistle if they demanded a retraction or apology. Which statute would they try to sue him under? No Reynolds case malign decision in the States like has infected UK and Ireland.

I believe Scotland hasn’t updated its Defamation laws to take in account digital media properly yet, even more backward than Eng and Irl common law madness. But v little libel tourism cos of other restrictions, thank fuck, though not for want of trying by the Gavin Findlay Malcolm Malcolm Fraser Fraser Law Society kilted beaks.

Comment

A nice little takedown of Flake's cowardice in Esquire

Comment

Do you know about the Michael Mann defamation case, Spoony?

I only just heard about it. I assume he'd win here. I hope he wins there too.

Comment

The judicial tea leaves are not favourable.

In January, the CEI, Simberg and National Review filed petitions for rehearing or rehearing en banc, which were supported by several amicus briefs. On Feb. 28, the D.C. Court of Appeals asked Mann to file a response to the petition for rehearing. Mann filed his response this week.
                                              The DC Courts are notoriously slow, and nothing has happened since Mann filed his response in March.

Comment

I saw that. I didn't get the significance of that bit highlighted. Main thing I got was Mann's suit didn't get chucked out.

Comment

The request for briefing makes it much more likely that the entire court will re-hear the case, which in turns makes it much more likely that the original decision will be reversed.

Comment

Thanks again. It's like a foreign country over there.

Jeff Flake has walked, I see.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X