No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another interesting thing I've just spotted on the mailer. SD Democratic party is urging us to vote for Kevin De Leon, rather than Diane Feinstein. I'm totally on board with this, but it's very surprising to see them put their fingers on the scale. And my guess is that this was printed before Feinstein's odd behaviour around the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Comment

"Seniority" is something I don't properly understand, re Senate Committees etc. What happens if Feinstein loses? Is it just that another Democrat go to Ranking Member. So it could be Whitehouse or Leahy or Klobuchar who would be much better?

Comment

Leahy (having served since 1974) is actually significantly more senior than Feinstein, but yielded the "Minority Ranking Member" seat on the Judiciary Committee to her some time ago.

Should she lose, he would have the right to the seat, but I would expect him to yield it again. Dick Durbin of Illinois is next in line, followed by Whitehouse and Klobuchar. I can definitely see a scenario where Durbin and Whitehouse yield to Klobuchar.

Comment

Thanks. Shame Leahy yielded to Feinstein.

Comment

There's a definite advantage (both substantive and in terms of "optics") of having the ranking Democrat be female when the other side is exclusively comprised of ancient white reactionaries.

That was the idea behind Leahy's yielding (he's also had health issues) and would be the primary argument for Klobuchar.

Comment

Appreciate the answers you give to all my questions.
              Even though I get cranky about polling, I try never to do so with questions like these. I enjoy answering them (and sometimes learn something) and genuinely appreciate your persistence in asking them, as I am absolutely certain you aren't the only one here who is wondering about all this.

Comment

I am one who benefits from a large number of these answers. It's stuff I really struggle to get my head around.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Even though I get cranky about polling, I try never to do so with questions like these. I enjoy answering them (and sometimes learn something) and genuinely appreciate your persistence in asking them, as I am absolutely certain you aren't the only one here who is wondering about all this.
                  That's very nice of you to say. It's easy to ask questions, and I don't know anybody else who could answer even half of them. And you're right about the polling too.

Comment

GOP down one “colorful” candidate in a safe Nevada seat

https://twitter.com/melissagira/status/1052286226026377217?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                      I don't get you on this stuff.

When the Democrats were criticizing Trump for the expanded deficit, you said they were wrong. Now you're saying that there's an imminent crash on top of these deficits?

Hmmm. I didn't say either of those things.

- I said that deficit spending is in itself not a bad thing, as long as it is used to stimulate the real economy; then it is a good thing. I said Democrats need to stop pretending that being fiscally conservative is something to strive for. But, by all means they should criticise Trump for using deficit spending to finance tax breaks for the rich. That's not money going to the real economy, that is going straight to speculative investments, which are economically unproductive.

- And yes, the Fed printing money and throwing it at a stock market bubble for years on end is likely not going to end well.
                      Last edited by anton pulisov; 16-10-2018, 21:43.

Comment

A birthday party at the Pahrump Nuggett with Ron Jeremy and Grover Norquist sounds like the beginning of a bad SNL sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                          Hmmm. I didn't say either of those things.

- I said that deficit spending is in itself not a bad thing, as long as it is used to stimulate the real economy; then it is a good thing. I said Democrats need to stop pretending that being fiscally conservative is something to strive for. But, by all means they should criticise Trump for using deficit spending to finance tax breaks for the rich. That's not money going to the real economy, that is going straight to speculative investments, which are economically unproductive.

- And yes, the Fed printing money and throwing it at a stock market bubble for years on end is likely not going to end well.
                          You said "economy not far off a crash".

Comment

538 (sorry) seem spectacularly optimistic about the House. I wish they weren't.

Comment

You said "economy not far off a crash".
                              have another read of the second point

Comment

538 (sorry) seem spectacularly optimistic about the House. I wish they weren't.
                                They're equally negative about the Senate, remember.

Which won't be helped by Heidi Heitkamp's fuck up this week.

Comment

I inferred you were talking about a crash coming before Trump's re-election. What causes that is irrelevant. You'll cop another 10% deficit if it happens. That's not in anybody's interest.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    They're equally negative about the Senate, remember.

Which won't be helped by Heidi Heitkamp's fuck up this week.
                                    I think Heitkamp's a goner. Sinema might win. They reckon it's even poised whether the Republicans pick one up net.

I think McCaskill will struggle too, even with the chancer she's up against trying to chuck away lots of his supporters' healthcare.
                                    Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 16-10-2018, 22:08.

Comment

Interesting graph on business investment. Pretty impressive surge in business investment in the US, but seems to have dropped off since the tax cut, same as Germany and the UK in the same period.

Comment

I inferred you were talking about a crash coming before Trump's re-election. What causes that is irrelevant. You'll cop another 10% deficit if it happens. That's not in anybody's interest.
                                        well yeah, crashes tend to cause deficits to increase further

i think we are having two different conversations here, tbh

Comment

We probably are.

I get that you're not talking about the same kind of deficits as the current ones.
                                          Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 16-10-2018, 23:18.

Comment

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/1052319855234437121?s=21

Comment

Get off the bus

Comment

It's as if they have pulled out the Jim Crow rules and regulations and are methodically going down the list.

Comment

Georgia really is pulling out all the stops this year to try and show that it's not some kind of Libtard Purple State, and really belongs with Mississippi and Alabama. I'm not sure how well this is going to go down with the new educated employees of the tech boom in the previously red Atlanta 'burbs. They might get Republicans elected this time around, but it's not going to be great for businesses trying to sell job prospects to young, intelligent, well educated people.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X