No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My god! When was she in Bundoran? We went on a holiday up to donegal in 1986 when the holiday resort aspect was in a bit of a death spiral, and my father occasionally still grumbles about bundoran having the filthiest public jacks in ireland. The thing is thanks to national bankruptcy, combined with Dublin's Heroin epidemic, by 1986 Bundoran was probably one of the last places with a public jacks. It's one of those railway seaside resorts, that lost their market, then their railways, then basically died. Tramore in Waterford, Ballybunnion in Kerry are very similar, and I got a real bang of this off newquay as well. You can almost see what the place looked like in its heyday.

Comment

Last winter.

It's doing better now, thanks to surfing and an international university centre. She quite enjoyed it.

Comment

Why did the Nordies tear up the railways west of the Bann in ‘57? The border war was a few eejits with army surplus materiel. Any excuse to fuck over the Taigs I suppose.

Comment

I once holidayed in Bundoran in January. Not as bad as it sounds, as it wasn't significantly colder than in July.

Duncairn Gardens (which Tubby has visited, if possibly not by train) has a station at one end (Yorkgate).

County Armagh still has a passenger service including intercity- Portadown and Lurgan have bigger populations than Armagh 'city'

Ulster country rail lines closed to save money not for border security. Annoying Taigs was incidental. They (or their descendants) got plenty revenge by regularly bricking the line at Newry during the Troublings, the cunts
          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 23-04-2018, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            heh, well the west cork railway closed in 1961, which was a bit of a pity because it's probably our most spectacular ex railway line, with all sorts of sexy viaducts etc. The Armagh branch off the dublin belfast line closed in 1955, and god alone knows when donegal lost its railway.

It's important though to remember that these lines that were closed were on their knees from about 1900 on. This song from 1902, basically covers a lot of it. This singer is the grandfather or Bristol city and Ireland winger callum o'Dowda.
            Aw man, that needs the tracks relaid. Even if it cost the moon, engineer an appearance of a fancy viaduct in some tedious blockbuster, it’ll pay for itself. The Harry Potter twats traveling up to Glenfinnan viaduct are a trainfilling becaped sight to behold.

Comment

One of my parents is from Bundoran.

Comment

It really is a small world

Comment

yeah. Surfing has really turned things around for Ballybunion and especially lahinch (which I forgot to mention, but it's mentioned in that Percy French song.) also Rosses point in sligo. Donegal is also where Northern Ireland's growing catholic middle class have their second homes.

LS, you're going to have to drop the whole hard on for trains everywhere. there is literally no point in building a railway line on that route, as it will add no-one to the area that aren't already on buses, where you see way more. Now turn it into a cycle greenway, and you will attract an entirely different group of people, who aren't already coming there. particularly since a railroad is a flat cycle path through some of the hilliest terrain in the country, and anyone trying to cycle around west cork runs the substantial risk of being milled over and shipped home in a plastic bag.

Comment

Heh Ursus, half of glasgow has a parent from donegal.

Comment

It was the ultimate trick question, one that sealed the fate of one of the most cherished railway systems in the country, that in west Cork.

A delegation had travelled from the area to Dublin to meet Todd Andrews, then chairman of CIÉ, to beg him not to close the system. He asked to see their train tickets; no-one on the delegation had any. The schedules of the trains from west Cork into Cork city and from Cork to Dublin were such that the delegation could not have made the journey by train.

Instead, they drove to Dublin and the collective reply to Andrews’s question meant that the meeting was over before it began.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...201%3fmode=amp

Seems it was the West Cork line yuh were referring to earlier Berba, where none protesting its closure made the journey by train. Though it seems this wasn’t a road fetish but due to the timetable making it impossible. One vote in CIE killed the line. Fuck sake.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                        yeah. Surfing has really turned things around for Ballybunion and especially lahinch (which I forgot to mention, but it's mentioned in that Percy French song.) also Rosses point in sligo. Donegal is also where Northern Ireland's growing catholic middle class have their second homes.

LS, you're going to have to drop the whole hard on for trains everywhere. there is literally no point in building a railway line on that route, as it will add no-one to the area that aren't already on buses, where you see way more. Now turn it into a cycle greenway, and you will attract an entirely different group of people, who aren't already coming there. particularly since a railroad is a flat cycle path through some of the hilliest terrain in the country, and anyone trying to cycle around west cork runs the substantial risk of being milled over and shipped home in a plastic bag.
                        Jaysus Berba, even I wouldn’t want that reopened. Was just stirring shite. It’s a damn shame they closed it though.

Comment

I don't think we're going to get any further from Donald Trump than Percy French songs. We may as well go back now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            It was the ultimate trick question, one that sealed the fate of one of the most cherished railway systems in the country, that in west Cork.

A delegation had travelled from the area to Dublin to meet Todd Andrews, then chairman of CIÉ, to beg him not to close the system. He asked to see their train tickets; no-one on the delegation had any. The schedules of the trains from west Cork into Cork city and from Cork to Dublin were such that the delegation could not have made the journey by train.

Instead, they drove to Dublin and the collective reply to Andrews’s question meant that the meeting was over before it began.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...201%3fmode=amp

Seems it was the West Cork line yuh were referring to earlier Berba, where none protesting its closure made the journey by train. Though it seems this wasn’t a road fetish but due to the timetable making it impossible. One vote in CIE killed the line. Fuck sake.
                            But first.... The timetabling made it difficult to get from west Cork to Cork city, but they still Drove past the train station in Cork in order to drive up to Dublin. I'd say that 80% of it was about dividing up the land between the local farmers. Todd Andrews there, is Ryan Tubridy's Grand Father, and one of the most barbarous fucking peasants to ever walk shoe leather. he's the cunt that knocked a huge hole in the Georgian mile to build the ESB Building, mostly so they could show those english bastards in the Georgian society who was in charge.

Comment

Fuckin hell, along with the Andrews clan trying to claw their way back up FF/Southside Sinn Fein, let alone the Peter Crouch looking charisma free bastard, what a disgusting shower of shites. My irrational hatred for Tubbs hasn’t abated even if I almost never see the Late Late or hear his woeful patter on the radio anymore. I think I wish him more bad days than Bongo. Stupid looking cunt.

Comment

80% of the delegation were there to ensure decent compo eventually, or 80% of the reason for closure was to benefit the right farmers and FF good ol’ boys? Could see either working.

Is that slightly unfair on Andrews re the ESB building? 60s/early 70s saw all sorts of madness, often for decent reasons, or just that the aesthetic was for shiny new and modern. Tory councillors in Edinburgh round the same time voted through a plan to build an inner city ring road that would demolish half the Georgian New Town and bits of the Old. Fuckin tunneling through Calton Hill and everything. At least Glasgow does a pound shop Metropolis effect if you stick in Kraftwerk on the Kingston Bridge, this would have been the most incongruous mess. Those were good Loyal friends of the Union and Our Shared History, but the prevailing attitude was those now UNESCO protected buildings were ugly soot blackened embarrassments. Tories have never held the Council since, in the most Tory of Scottish cities.

Though I’m sure he would have been delighted at any planning report that recommended demolition of West Brit memories.
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-04-2018, 23:06.

Comment

The worst thing about 1916 isn’t whatever shite Geldof was spouting last month, it’s that we created an aristocracy with their descendants. Tubbs would be the last man to ever get near front of camera without being a scion of Greatness.

Comment

I dread to think what Trump has been up to under cover of the West Cork branch line.

Comment

I was surprised he wasn't at the funeral today. Not like him to turn down a Bush.

Comment

Presumably Trump has to go to the funeral when GHW Bush dies?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          I was surprised he wasn't at the funeral today. Not like him to turn down a Bush.
                                          He only likes young bush.

Comment

BAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Comment

I've got a new CNN talking head. Steve Rogers.

Comment

The biggest mistake regarding the West Cork line was not closing it, but not keeping the alignment reserved for future use. There were loads of railway routes going into Cork from every which direction which would have made great Luas style routes today. Combined with a half decent development plan, the city could have been one of the most sustainably developed in Europe.

There's a blueprint for a very good integrated public transport system there if you connect up the end stations in the city.

Instead they built over all the alignments with sprawling bullshit and 24 hour Tescos.

Comment

Guess we’re just rail fetishists and we should get with the new bus and bicycle thing being good enough for a Modern urban centre, daddio. But that map makes me weep. Cork is one of the most needlessly car clogged cities I’ve ever been in.

Comment

Of course connecting up the end stations of the lines would have involved a big investment in putting heavy bridges across the Lee and rail on the street.

Oh, hold on...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X