F*** off with Christmas already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

There's a street near me that does a "12 days of Christmas" thing where each house has a bunch of wooden figures in their yard representing one of the things in the song. I know some people who just bought one of those houses and they were "strongly encouraged" to keep up with it. I think they're actually the Partridge in a Pear Tree, so not so much stuff to deal with.
    Just one of the things in the song? Tell them they're not doing it properly. To fully comply with the song each house should incorporate all that's gone before. House number twelve should have everything. Go on, I dare you.

Comment

A few weeks ago, my local cash & carry had back-to-school stuff alongside Hallowe'en stuff alongside Christmas stuff. That ain't right, that ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
        The Harrow! You mean on Whitefriars Street? That was one of my work locals for 20 years, in fact every work day evening I would emerge from the office basement on my bike bang opposite it. Brings back fond memories.
        No, The Harrow in, er, Harrow...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          A few weeks ago, my local cash & carry had back-to-school stuff alongside Hallowe'en stuff alongside Christmas stuff. That ain't right, that ain't.
          I work for a Craft store, and we have currently: Hannukah, Thanksgiving, Hallowe'en, Breast Cancer Awareness, World Aids Day, Pride and Christmas, alongside knockdown Harvest themes.

Comment

No, The Harrow in, er, Harrow...
            Thanks for answering the query, GO. Pretty daft name, though, for a pub in Harrow, IMHO. It's the one place in the world where the name doesn't really work.

Comment

It's a Harrow pub for Harrow people. Calling it the Ruislip Arms just wouldn't pull the punters in.

Comment

A local pub for local people.

Comment

7 (seven) weeks before the day, we're getting Christmas songs in The Harrow.

Comment

1st November. 4 out of 5 songs on the store "radio", is a Christmas song. And not necessarily a good one. The company is not paying the PRS (American equivalent), so we get "So this is Christmas" and it's not John Lennon. And seriously, it's not fucking Christmas either.

Fortunately, the store tends to be closed when I work, because the constant string of expletives (and not just by me) would melt Kenneth Tynan's brain.

That said, they are interspersed with a lot of songs that are British, and not really hits, which means I pretty much know them, and can show off a bit. (EMF is on every day. Even I am sick of that now.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      7 (seven) weeks before the day, we're getting Christmas songs in The Harrow.
                      Are you sure that the sign hasn't lost an '-ing' somewhere along the way?

I ate half a box of After Eights yesterday. That felt quite festive until the nausea kicked in.

Comment

Saw the first trees for sale this morning in Thrifty Foods. They even come with a free disposal bag.

Comment

Save the bags. Stop eating whole Christmas trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                            1st November. 4 out of 5 songs on the store "radio", is a Christmas song. And not necessarily a good one. The company is not paying the PRS (American equivalent), so we get "So this is Christmas" and it's not John Lennon. And seriously, it's not fucking Christmas either.

Fortunately, the store tends to be closed when I work, because the constant string of expletives (and not just by me) would melt Kenneth Tynan's brain

That said, they are interspersed with a lot of songs that are British, and not really hits, which means I pretty much know them, and can show off a bit. (EMF is on every day. Even I am sick of that now.)
                            Fuck sake, now I’ve got the Yoko Sings! bit of that shite in my head. Gero you terrible bastard.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-11-2017, 21:23.

Comment

"When Yoko sings
                              I hear violence.
                              When Yoko sings
                              I fuckinghate everything, yeah."

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

Fortunately, the store tends to be closed when I work, because the constant string of expletives (and not just by me) would melt Kenneth Tynan's brain.

My girlfriend started talking about the bloody Christmas Oratorium last weekend. There is nothing wrong with that bit of music per se. It actually works very well to play this in a Christmas atmosphere. Even every year.

Only once, though.

She has this Christmas playlist which takes about eight hours (quite acceptable), but which is also on repeat for the entire month of fucking December. At roughly December seven, I hate that music on that list with a passion. It includes Mariah Carey. Fuck. That.

Fortunately, I added this as antidote. It pulls me through the month.

Comment

Here's my favourite Christmas tune, despite the fact I am deeply cynical about the entire thing:

Balls to playlists though, that would drive me spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                    There is a Käthe Wohlfahrt outlet now occupying the old Mulberry Hall in York, which sells Christmas items. It actually fits in to the surroundings quite well in this case, though like all Wohlfahrt shops it is open all year round.

Actually, this is the worst

Not just for the "Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe" bollocks but for the fact it is in Disneyland Orlando which means that you can be looking at Christmas decorations in 90 degree heat.

Comment

Had my first mince pie of the season today.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Damn, PT, it's way too early to be rolling out my views on dried fruit. I try to wait until the start of December at least.

But the die is cast; dried fruit is the devil's spawn and almost enough to ruin Christmas all by its shrivelled, beetle-y self.

Comment

Rubicon crossed so. You’re a dirty bastard PT.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            What fucking season? It's November.

*Sorry, that sounded a little more harsh than it should have. However, fair.
                                            Last edited by Gerontophile; 18-11-2017, 04:03.

Comment

Well I was going to say first mince pie of the year but I may have had a straggler in January so 'season' seemed better. It's seasonal food.

Anyway I was a guest at a meeting and they'd bought mince pies specially. It was a good one too. Nice crisp lattice pastry and tasty mincemeat that wasn't just an allspice sludge.

I have no regrets.

Comment

I wish mince pies were available all year round.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  I wish mince pies were available all year round.
                                                  You're a sick person. May the 'a' drop from your cup soups indefinitely until you repent.

Comment

One of the people I was out with tonight works for a Major Food Retailer as a Food Technologist. So, he was testing (eating) pigs-in-blankets and mince pies during the June heatwave.

Think on that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X