F*** off with Christmas already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck off with Christmas already!

North American perhaps. I figured it would be obvious by the context.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: I do, as does virtually my entire family. Meanwhile, here in south-west London, Christmas has been in evidence since September. Beyond stupid.
      What significant date for your family happens in February?

Comment

Not that much of a revelation, I'm afraid. My sister and I were both Valentine's Day conceptions, so we were told (when old enough to be able to assimilate this kind of info from a parent, obviously). All four of my immediate family had birthdays within four days: I was born on my father's birthday, which was two days before that of my mother, who had my sister two days after hers. Different years, obviously. (On top of all this, my younger daughter was also conceived on Valentine's and therefore has a birthday a few days before mine.)

hobbes wrote: I bought a new christmas tree a couple of months ago.
        They're much cheaper off season (like 60% cheaper) which was good as it's quite a nice Balsam Hill job.
        I read that as 'Balham Hill job' - ie, where I live - and was thinking that you'd be hard-pushed to buy a decent tree here at Christmas itself, let alone two months prior...

Comment

The Balham Hill Job has to be an Ealing comedy, surely?

Comment

I cannot wait to get the Christmas stuff out and cover the house in crap whilst Carols from King's plays on in the background (although that soprano's knackers must have dropped many years ago).

Having two small children makes it all worthwhile.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure those of us with kids will enjoy the whole rigmarole.

But, you know, 'when' it's Christmas. Not two months before.

Comment

Quite. I actually love Christmas. Which is somewhere between the 24th and 26th of December, not October...

Comment

Someone loudly and cheerfully whistled 'Ding Dong Merrily On High' as I wended my way through a tube station yesterday. And yes, they whistled it ALL, including the repeated "DER-da-derderderder-DER-da-derderderder" chorus bit, with unflagging enthusiasm rather than trailing off halfway through. Top marks, it really made me smile.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Oh, I'm sure those of us with kids will enjoy the whole rigmarole.

I dub thee Sir Grinch.

Comment

There's a whisky ad on the telly at the moment to Ding Dong Merrily On High, which is probably where they got it from.

Comment

pebblethefish wrote: Is "grow-op" an Americanism, or am I just remarkably naive in that I had to Google it?
                        I would expect most people I know back in Salford would know what you were on about, though a pair of chums of mine who worked on one would refer to the grows.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jah Womble
                          Oh, I'm sure those of us with kids will enjoy the whole rigmarole.

I dub thee Sir Grinch.
                          Why me in particular? Pretty much everybody on this thread is saying similar - look at the header. My girls know they'll get a good Christmas - just not when we're still waving off the last throes of summer.

Besides, as I said upthread, there are a ton of family birthdays to address first, including mine - and I'm b*ggered if I'm being upstaged by Christmas...

Comment

We had our works' Christmas do this lunchtime. A bit early, but it coincided with a leaving do, so that's okay then...

Comment

I saw loads of houses with their decs up in Sunderland last Tuesday. There's a few in our street got them up now.

Comment

It is pretty much a guaranteed weekend-after-thanksgiving thing here. We got our tree at the weekend - I wanted to go with a local garden center but they said the trees were $12 a foot so I would be $96 in the hole for a dead tree. My festive support of the local economy rapidly flagged and I bought one for $40 from Home Depot. Then proceeded to go all in and buy lights, bows and 60ft of fir rope for the porch which was the best idea I have had in some time as it looks great.

My favorite Christmas routine is going round the higher-end furniture stores after the 25th and buying up all their vastly reduced tree decorations.

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/BNU9B1TB83C[/instagram]

Comment

I wish it could be "Fuck You" every day.

Comment

There's a Christmas party in the Harrow tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                      That Jesus fella?
                                      No, not him, he was Autumn or Spring. I am Christmas Day so try getting a birthday card for me*. Also, early Christmas advertising means that, for the latter three months of the year, I am reminded that I am getting older. Once, I worked in a card shop and was pricing up packs of Christmas cards in August. We have this shop in Bath all year around.

That being said, I do love Christmas. At Christmas.

*Go on, it would be lovely.

Comment

There's a Christmas party in the Harrow tonight...
                                        1. Seriously, bloody hell. Not even Halloween yet (mind you, I wouldn't mind if Halloween crap got lost in a swamp of Christmas-themed nonsense, there's no occasion I hate more than Halloween).

2. The Harrow! You mean on Whitefriars Street? That was one of my work locals for 20 years, in fact every work day evening I would emerge from the office basement on my bike bang opposite it. Brings back fond memories.

Comment

This seems to be the right place to ask. When is the appropriate time to watch "The Nightmare Before Christmas"? Halloween, Christmas or in between?

Comment

Any time. It's an ace film.

Comment

When I worked in a cinema you had to pick your favourite film to have in your badge and I picked that one.

Comment

Lowes started putting up the Christmas shit a few weeks ago in the front part of the store where they keep most of the lawn care stuff in summer. There’s a lot of Halloween shit too, but that’s not enough to fill the space so they’re starting the Christmas stuff too.

Comment

I don't know if this or the 'traumatic adverts' thread is the best place to put this, but fuck me did Argos' ad that I saw on TV tonight set my teeth on edge. "Get ready for gifting!" they gaily shrilled, as they merrily suggested one might like to put aside a 50" TV or similar for one's loved ones now to beat the rush.

I don't fucking care that they carefully avoided actually mentioning Christmas. Because, wouldn't you know it, talking about fucking "gifting" (spit) and very blatantly mentioning-Christmas-while-doing-everything-except-saying-it-by-name, in mid-October, is possibly even more fucking aggravating. Fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                    No, not him, he was Autumn or Spring. I am Christmas Day so try getting a birthday card for me*. Also, early Christmas advertising means that, for the latter three months of the year, I am reminded that I am getting older. Once, I worked in a card shop and was pricing up packs of Christmas cards in August. We have this shop in Bath all year around.

That being said, I do love Christmas. At Christmas.

*Go on, it would be lovely.
                                                    There is a Käthe Wohlfahrt outlet now occupying the old Mulberry Hall in York, which sells Christmas items. It actually fits in to the surroundings quite well in this case, though like all Wohlfahrt shops it is open all year round.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X