X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The illustrated Reggae album cover map of London

What it says in the thread title. Nice!

That's just fantastic - I have pledged. It's also reminded me I need a copy of the Clarks in Jamaica book.

Comment

That is cool

Comment

Clarks in Jamaica is brilliant. I contacted Al Fingers to ask if he was going to do a mixtape of all the songs listed in the book, I'll have to see if he ever did.

Comment

EIM wrote: Clarks in Jamaica is brilliant. I contacted Al Fingers to ask if he was going to do a mixtape of all the songs listed in the book, I'll have to see if he ever did.
          It's out on CD

Comment

Alex now has the funding to create the book. As a thank you, he has made a mixtape featuring a song from each of the albums in the book, chronologically. It's fab.

Here's Part 1

Comment

This looks like a really cool project. Since I have 2 stacks of books sitting next to me, I'm going to have to skip this one but the project looks great.

As an extension of the stacks of reading, I finally got into the issue of Mojo from 2 issues back with Bob Marley on the cover. There was a really interesting piece in that issue about UK Reggae as a crucial voice during riots there in the mid to late 1970s. This in particular stood out to me related to Dennis Bovell's description of charges against him for supposedly instigating a riot:

"The prosecution said, 'There was someone on the microphone geeing the crowd up.' I was like, Mate, for all I know that could have been U-Roy or I-Roy or Dennis Alcapone. The judge turned round and said, 'Do you expect me to believe that people talk on record?!' I'm like, 'Im never been to a blue dance, bruv?! Yeah, it could have been a 'talking' record! This is reggae, not everyone's a singer...!"

Comment

The book is now published - my copy arrived just before Christmas. It's fucking brilliant.

http://onelovebooks.com/Covers-Retra...eves-in-London

Comment

I literally thought "What a laz....wow, that is great". I am not even a reggae fan.

Comment

Two thoughts:

1) Neat idea, really cool, and really well executed.
                    2) More suited to a blog than a book. I mean, how many times will you actually look at it?

Comment

There's a guy in America who's done the same thing with classic albums from the 60s and 70s. That is a blog. It's a long time since I looked at it so it will take me a while to find it but I'll try when I get the chance.

It's astonishing the amount of effort and detective work he's put into it. Among the highlights I remember are Neil Young's After The Goldrush. (Those railings are still there, somewhere in New York) and Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited which I always thought was taken indoors but was actually shot on someone's front porch.

Comment

http://popspotsnyc.com/

Comment

Nice - so much detail.

Comment

Yes, very good. The entry about the various New York filming locations of On the Town remind me that someone in my choir was a member of the Frank Sinatra fan club back in the 1940s. Her friend and fellow fan club member was on holiday in New York 1949 and, while sightseeing one day, came across the On the Town film shoot. As she had her Frank Sinatra fan club card on her at the time, she was allowed to stay and watch the scenes being shot.

Comment

And how about that Bob Dylan entry about Nottingham Castle? An incredible piece of detective work, with the pay off being that one of the kids in the background became a famous album cover designer.

Comment

Pop Spots NYC is a magnificent site. But the one you really need to read is Blonde On Blonde.

http://www.popspotsnyc.com/blonde_on_blonde/

A remarkable journey.

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                  X