No announcement yet.

Steel Shoe News - Speedway 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn’t get a chance to flag it up in advance but an absolutely fantastic televised double-header has just finished on BT Sport and I thoroughly recommend you seek it out on catch up or online, totally electrifying stuff.

No spoilers but it was the second leg of Swindon v Poole and the first leg of Wolves v Belle Vue (the second leg of the latter is on this Wednesday due to a rain-off last week and sadly won’t be televised) and if the two legs of the final next week live up to tonight they will be well worth watching.

A far more interesting watch than the rather humdrum GP on Saturday at the temporary track in Stockholm’s Friends Arena stadium which all but confirmed Jason Doyle as World Champion. Torun in a couple of weeks should be a coronation for him but a far better meeting as it’s an excellent purpose built stadium and track.

I’m going to attempt to eke out my season by trying to get to legs of the National League play-off semis at Lakeside and Kent this coming Friday and Monday respectively.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-09-2017, 12:18.

Comment

A particularly virulent bout of food poisoning robbed me of the chance to see Lakeside Hammers v Belle Vue Colts on Friday night in the first NL semi. The home side ran out 53-37 winners which seems like a decent lead to take to Manchester but the Colts have been destroying all-comers at home this season and have some missing riders (who are part of the Aces main team) returning for the home leg so still seem favourites.

I did manage to get to Sittingbourne for the other semi between Kent Kings and Eastbourne Eagles on Monday night. I really like Central Park Stadium and the main stand originally designed for football gives a great view of the racing. A very eventful meeting full of passing and incident culminated in the home side claiming a 5-1 in Heat 15 to take a narrow 46-44 lead to the south coast.

I’m clinging to some hope that either or both of Kent and Lakeside get to the final as it may mean I get to see another meeting this season, perhaps even both legs of any Thames Estuary Derby. If not then last night’s meeting was a good way to squeeze the last of the shale out of the “summer”.

A real shock in the first leg of the Premiership Grand Final last night. Wolves went to Swindon as huge underdogs given they were without their two highest scoring riders, Freddie Lindgren and Jacob Thorsell, who were both hospitalised after horrific crashes in separate legs of their semi-final win over Belle Vue Aces.

With Chris Harris guesting at Number One and Rider Replacement in operation, Wolves absolutely tore in to The Robins on an unexpectedly slick track. At one point they had a 12 point lead and still held a 10 point advantage after Heat 12 but the home side did manage to claw it back to 42-46 by the end. The idea of Wolves taking any kind of lead back to Monmore Green for Wednesday night’s second leg seemed absurd at the start of the night though.

So, the Premiership title will be wrapped up this evening and then next week the attention will turn to the first promotion/relegation play-off between bottom placed Leicester Lions and new Championship winners Sheffield Tigers, who beat Ipswich Witches at the weekend.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-10-2017, 09:41.

Comment

An absolutely belting Grand Final second leg has just finished. I’ll not give away the result because I urge you to find it online or on catch up. Some literally breathtaking moments and a fantastic climax that showcases once again that Speedway is the most exciting sport in the world.

Comment

Wow... what RdG says.

Comment

Working...
          X