The Kabbadi World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kabbadi World Cup

Sky Sports have been covering this all week, in the lunchtime slot in the pub I frequent. For the life of me I have no real idea of what's going on, but it all seems jolly good fun - kind of like Rugby League on a volleyball court, without a ball. I've been taken aback by the spread of teams involved (assuming it woud be purely a south east Asian thing) - earlier this week I watched Australia beat Argentina. With that breadth of contestants, this can't be far off being an Olympic sport?

Most games seem to end up something like 40 points to 30 - again, I have no real idea of how points are scored. I must do a bit of research. But the scoring does happen quite frequently - pretty much once a minute someone seems to have done something to affect the scoreboard.

The Kabbadi World Cup

It used to be shown by Channel 4 on Saturday mornings. As far as I remember the basic rules are that one player from one of the teams goes into the other half of the pitch. They can't take a breath whilst in the opposition half, and have to prove they aren't doing this by saying "Kabbadi, Kabbadi, Kabbadi.....". They get points for how long they spend in the opposition half but have to avoid being tagged by their opponents.

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

They have to touch one of the opposition to gain a point, and then get back to their own end without getting caught. The person touched leaves the game until a successful teammate returns, and the player gets out of the "caught-bin".

I think there are certain defensive team set-ups, where a few have to hold hands all the time.

The rules are here: http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Kabaddi

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

Found the official site

***SPOILER***

Final's tomorrow, afternoon BST time. India v Iran. I assume Iran are the plucky underdogs.

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

There is a SPOILER button, Rog.

[spoiler]As in this one.[/spoiler]

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

My son and I watched some of England v Argentina last weekend and it was diverting enough for a while with the basics of the game not to hard to grasp.

I was surprised that it was indoors with the crowd seemingly numbering in the hundreds, I expected and outdoor full stadium.

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

I didn't know they had to keep saying kabaddi. I couldn't figure out how the raider was deciding when it was time to give up since there didn't seem to be a "shot clock."

When I've seen it, there hasn't been much action. Lots of empty raids, it seems. But I guess as the game goes on, that becomes less likely.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a "flag" version of it for kids to play safely. I know from experience that tackling games, at least with the kids I volunteer with, invariably ends with somebody going to the ER.

Comment

The Kabbadi World Cup

I saw some of this last week and found it very enjoyable to watch. They must all have lungs like hogshead beer tankards, though - after a look at Wikipedia to get the basics of what I was looking at I couldn't believe some of the raiders could do all that running around, being rugby tackled etc and still try to get their hand back to the halfway line without having taken an inward breath.

Comment

Working...
                X