Nobel prize for literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is apparently in the Music forum these days.

It's like the judges have wondered long and hard about how they could most piss off Haruki Marukami (and indeed the entire nation of Japan) and decided that giving it to Bob Dylan would be the best approach

I'll reply here since you've mentioned Murakami here and he's not been brought up on the other thread as far as I can see - is he well-known for being desperate to win it, or something? A couple of my other friends have made similar jokes over the last few days (i.e. including before the announcement), which makes me wonder.

Comment

I think Japan is desperate for him to win it, and apparently there are parties every year organised for the announcement in the hope (bordering on expectation) that this will be the year. I don't think it's Murakami's thing as much as Japan's (and his global fanbase too)

Indeed he apparently has said that he thinks it's "annoying" to permanently be a candidate and have people quoting the betting odds (he was favourite again to win this year) and said "I feel like a racehorse "

Comment

ad hoc wrote: is apparently in the Music forum these days.

It's like the judges have wondered long and hard about how they could most piss off Haruki Marukami (and indeed the entire nation of Japan) and decided that giving it to Bob Dylan would be the best approach
        Given that Murukami is well known for his love of western popular music and his integration of it into his work, I'm not sure that he would be particularly pissed off by this.

He's also sufficiently populist that he might never win the prize, given the tendency to award to really obscure poets (Dylan seems an exception), and young enough that the Nobel committee might think they've got years to give the award to him.

I'm a little surprised they've not awarded it to Ismael Kadare yet, given that he's now getting pretty old and might not be alive for many more opportunities.

Comment

Also, both Dylan and Murukami both wrote works heavily inspired by Norwegian Wood.

Comment

I get the impression that a lot of poets are upset that this was won by a poet that anybody outside their little world actually reads.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I think Japan is desperate for him to win it, and apparently there are parties every year organised for the announcement in the hope (bordering on expectation) that this will be the year. I don't think it's Murakami's thing as much as Japan's (and his global fanbase too)
              That's interesting - particularly as when I Googled him to see whether I could find an interview in which he pleads for the Nobel, what I found instead was one of him saying he feels like something of an outcast in the world of Japanese literature.

It staggers me that any adult would actually care enough to throw a party (which is not to say I'm surprised anyone's interested in the outcome).

Comment

Working...
              X