Clear All

Lush Green Pixels

I've started a blog.

About football.

And video games.

It's here.

Apologies in advance.

Lush Green Pixels

I've never played any games myself but I'll point my sons in the direction of your blog. Good luck with it.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

A belated thank you. Meanwhile, here's another one:

It's about Complete Onside Soccer... yeah, the one with Jo Guest.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

A Dreamcast flop married to cut-and-shut Konami parts?

Quite the recipe and no mistake.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Bland, empty and unsatisfying - reading the post is just like playing the game!

Giant Killers - not exactly what it says on the tin.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

World Class? Don't make me laugh.

World Class Soccer - Atari Lynx

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Hadn't realised until now that this was you, but I should have noticed that the tone was WSC-esque. Very enjoyable stuff.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

3 Colours Red wrote: World Class? Don't make me laugh.

World Class Soccer - Atari Lynx
                Ugh, just found a YouTube clip of that. It gave me eye ache - horrific!

Great blog 3CR, very impressed with it. Did you ever come across a game that I saw under two different titles? On my Acorn Archimedes it had the name "Manchester United In Europe" but on the Mega Drive it was called "European Club Soccer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1lMJl9lFXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2WChlRfhk0

I was delighted that Norwich were on the Mega Drive game. I'd forgotten that Rotherham were as well.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

The only football game I've ever played on the Archie was Sensi... but I do own European Club Soccer - I mean, Wrexham are in it too!

And once again (because I've already done it there), thanks for the plug on Squad Numbers, Denis.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

My friend had "Manchester United In Europe". I had the great enjoyment of being his opponent and beating him with a vast array of sides.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

A game based on an advert? What could possibly go right?

The Mission for PS1.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

You thought yesterday was scary?

Ain't nothing compared to my ability to shoehorn!

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Jesus, had never heard of The Mission, what a shit concept.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

I am enjoying this blog immensely, it's lead me to spend some time googling images of Football Director for the Spectrum from the late 80s. A game you could only get anywhere with by cheating dreadfully.
                            I used to combine my twin passions of the time and change all the players names to members of thrash metal bands. I recall Tom Araya banging them in on a regular basis for Stoke City.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Ever played Eric Cantona Beach Soccer? It was absolutely terrible. Except if you were France.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Tapiocahead wrote: Football Director for the Spectrum from the late 80s. A game you could only get anywhere with by cheating dreadfully.
                                Football Director 2 was my entree into the twin hells of computer game addiction and pointless cheating in solo pursuits.

Firstly, there was an angle where you could buy or sell shares in your own club. Now, having to start in the old Fourth Division was a bit of a pain. However, there was a method to get a First or Second Division job a couple of weeks into your nascent and imaginary management career. Firstly, buy as many shares as you could. Then offer your players unfeasibly large win bonuses. Inevitably this would result in your first fixture being a rout. Immediately afterwards, sell all your shares in the club and get sacked immediately. With a 100% record in your career thus far, the internal logic of the game would consider you a reasonably candidate for jobs two or three divisions higher.

Later in life, when my dad furnished the secret room in our house with an Amstrad PC1640 (640k RAM! 20mb hard disk! 8MHz processor!), I was a nosey enough child to poke around the system and realize that the saved game files were in plain text and easily decoded, meaning you could just go in and change anything at all you liked really easily.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

EIM wrote: Ever played Eric Cantona Beach Soccer? It was absolutely terrible. Except if you were France.
                                  No, but I do have the ROM for the Game Boy Advance version on a USB stick. Should get round to it, really.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

3CR, any plans to review Viva Football?

I remember reading about this in PC Format's special edition all about football games before World Cup 98 (a wonderful publication, wish I could find my copy) and it seemed like a great idea, the ability to play historical teams against each other. Bought it and it turned out to be a steamer, I literally could not get a goal.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

It's certainly on the list. Problem is, it's a very long list and PS1 games make up a pretty sizeable chunk of it.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

That's perfectly okay, the more the better!

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

3 Colours Red wrote: A belated thank you. Meanwhile, here's another one:

It's about Complete Onside Soccer... yeah, the one with Jo Guest.
                                          Blimey, I remember seeing that ad (presumably in a copy of Loaded).

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

I need to talk about Striker, the first football game I had, which was on the Spectrum.

Your view of a football match is of the opposing goalkeeper in his goal, and mostly you don't see any football happening there. The score of your match, and the clock, are at the top.

The tension is palpable. At any given moment, there could be a sharp bleep, and either the opposition has scored, or one of your team mates has. You have no control over this.

However, sometimes, there will be a little rising scale of tension-mounting bleeps.

You're through with a chance...

And you appear, frozen, statuesque, ball at your feet, at some random position in or around the area with the keeper to beat.

Your 'shot compass' comes to life. The path of your shot will follow the line on the compass when you press S. If you're playing against Liverpool in the Cup, it will be ticking back and forth at a terrifying pace. But in your first Division 4 game, or in training, it will be more gentle. And don't get caught out by the shot clock either.

If you miss a chance, it could be decisive - the game won't necessarily throw you a lifeline in the last minute to score the winner. Sod's law is that if you miss a chance at 2-2 in the 75th minute, the other team will score a late winner.

This is also an extremely early example of a career mode game. You enter your name (and say whether you are playing 2 or 3 points for a win; it's that old) and choose your Division 4 team. You have an agent who will keep a look out for possible transfers. You have a manager who tells you what he thinks of you after each game. You can train to get better. It's all there, on one simple green screen with a few stationary black lines, and a press of the S key.

Watch it here:
                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY9yq4uBpeU
                                            Play it here:
                                            https://archive.org/details/zx_Striker_1989_Cult_Games_128K

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

So in a match just now I missed a couple of easy chances for Cambridge, and we lost by a single goal at home to Preston. I let the whole team down. It gets to you.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

Trying to remember the management game that was on the C64. Main memories are that (a) it showed the game;(b) the field was split into three sections; and (c) players could not move between sections.

I quickly worked out that if the opponent was setting up for 4-4-2 playing a 2-4-4 was the obvious and brilliant approach.

Comment

Lush Green Pixels

That sounds like Football Manager 2. Generally, "marking" the opposition (matching the formations as you have it) was good enough to win; though a quick rule of thumb was that if you had a 9 skill player, he could "mark" 2 opposition players (up to skill 4 or 5), leaving you with a spare man somewhere else.

Not that you could tell if said player was playing well, as you got virtually no feedback re how your players were doing, apart from watching the obligatory "highlights".

The C64 version looked like this:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X