Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shops

I'm glad it's not just me who's fed up with WH Smiths. A well known shop that I used to use quite happily now screwing its customers, particularly those in hospitals. And no, I don't want a bar of chocolate for a quid. Even if I do want one I won't buy it from you just because I can't stand you and your grubby shop anymore.

Comment

Shops

Flynnie wrote: WH Smith can fuck off because the London Bridge one stocked Sports Illustrated for about a month (at the surprisingly reasonable price of £2.95) and then stopped.
      They sold SI in quite a lot of their outlets over the summer, they seem to have stopped now as I haven't seen it anywhere for about a month. The alternative explanation is that they're flying off the newsstands as Cubmania sweeps the nation.

Comment

Shops

Our Balham WHSmith disappeared suddenly about six months ago, after a fifteen-year stint in the 'Gateway'.

It was quite handy - certainly for those of us that frequently require stationery/art-related products - but no, I don't miss their daft, made-up prices.

Comment

Shops

In the late 70s their store detectives at Leeds Lands Lane branch were either non-existent, incompetent or lazy. Same at the nearby Boots but not so Woolworth's on Briggate

Comment

Shops

Shame wingco's not here these days. Every so often on his facebook page he goes off on a righteous (and, unsurpisingly, funny) rant about WH Smith

Comment

Shops

Haddock wrote: In the late 70s their store detectives at Leeds Lands Lane branch were either non-existent, incompetent or lazy. Same at the nearby Boots but not so Woolworth's on Briggate
              Go on then, what did you lift?

Comment

Shops

The WH Smith on campus here stopped stocking 2000AD a couple of months ago. So not impressed.

Comment

Shops

Boots the Chemists? Boots the Cunts, more like.

Comment

Shops

Jah Womble wrote:
                    Originally posted by Haddock
                    In the late 70s their store detectives at Leeds Lands Lane branch were either non-existent, incompetent or lazy. Same at the nearby Boots but not so Woolworth's on Briggate
                    Go on then, what did you lift?
                    Protractors, compasses, rulers, tippex, staplers set squares. Once, somehow, a calculator. It got to be quite a compulsion. I had so much stuff I could have set up a rival store.

Comment

Shops

Summers spent sneaking into John Menzies in Clydebank Shopping Centre where the spectrums, commodores and other computers were sold. Seeing how many

10 PRINT "YOU ARE A CUNT!"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

we could get on the screens before getting chased by staff. Proust has his madeleine, I have my acorn electron.

Comment

Shops

Ray de Galles wrote: Boots the Chemists? Boots the Cunts, more like.
                        For such a kitchen sink article, which is in large part about the evils of leveraged buyouts, it's weird they don't mention that the Alliance Boots deal was a large part of RBS's downfall.

Comment

Shops

The real scandal about shops is that despite having tills overflowing with new £5 notes, they all refuse to give one to Ginger Yellow.

Comment

Shops

longeared wrote:
                            Originally posted by Flynnie
                            WH Smith can fuck off because the London Bridge one stocked Sports Illustrated for about a month (at the surprisingly reasonable price of £2.95) and then stopped.
                            They sold SI in quite a lot of their outlets over the summer, they seem to have stopped now as I haven't seen it anywhere for about a month. The alternative explanation is that they're flying off the newsstands as Cubmania sweeps the nation.
                            A few in London consistently stock it, like Selfridges and Victoria Station, but I'm not trekking out there for an SI. Having a fresh SI to read on my train ride home was a rare and seemingly fleeting treat.

Comment

Shops

Do they do a UK / local sports edition, or is the US one you read?

Comment

Shops

I'd have thought Borders would have stocked it, back when it existed. They were big on US (and other foreign) magazines.

Comment

Shops

SI doesn't even do a Canadian edition, let alone a UK/European one.

Though have gone deep into regional covers. They had covers featuring each team to qualify for the baseball playoffs, for example.

Comment

Shops

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Summers spent sneaking into John Menzies in Clydebank Shopping Centre where the spectrums, commodores and other computers were sold. Seeing how many

10 PRINT "YOU ARE A CUNT!"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

we could get on the screens before getting chased by staff. Proust has his madeleine, I have my acorn electron.
                                    Happy days.
                                    The modern day lo-fi equivalent is playing spice rack swears in the supermarket.

Comment

Shops

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/09/22/homebase-enough-offensive-candle-arrangements/

Comment

WHSmith to make US airports even shittier

Comment

I struggle to believe WHSmith could pull together something worse than Hudson News.

Comment

Fair enough, but what kind of shops should an airport have? I always buy a newspaper and/or a magazine when I have time, for example

Comment

Unfortunately, this deal does not appear to include Hudson News.

The shops in question appear to be focused on "local color" and related tat, and I'm not sure that there is any real reason for Smith to mess with them if they are profitable.

Comment

They should be cheaper. A standard bottled drink shouldn’t cost $3.50, especially when you can’t bring your own through security.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  They should be cheaper. A standard bottled drink shouldn’t cost $3.50, especially when you can’t bring your own through security.
                                                  I'd love to know whether it's due to usurious airport rents, or simply Captive Consumer Syndrome at work.

Comment

Yes, though businesses will claim (partly true) that rental rates are sky-high in airports.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X