Moronic conspiracy theories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nefertiti2 wrote: After the death of almost a hundred people at a sporting event the senior police officers who were responsible worked closely with the government of the day to prevent the truth coming to light. They managed to persuade hundreds of junior officers to change their statements, pathologists to alter post mortem reports and appointed a coroner who deliberately excluded any evidence that might be prejudicial to their case, whilst the press ran stories accusing the dead fans of being at fault.

Ok. Fair point. There was a conspiracy. It's backed up by a theory reinforced by facts.

So technically a conspiracy theory.

Except in this case also happens to be true.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
      Originally posted by Nefertiti2
      After the death of almost a hundred people at a sporting event the senior police officers who were responsible worked closely with the government of the day to prevent the truth coming to light. They managed to persuade hundreds of junior officers to change their statements, pathologists to alter post mortem reports and appointed a coroner who deliberately excluded any evidence that might be prejudicial to their case, whilst the press ran stories accusing the dead fans of being at fault.

Ok. Fair point. There was a conspiracy. It's backed up by a theory reinforced by facts.

So technically a conspiracy theory.

Except in this case also happens to be true.
      Extremely unlikely things happen every day.

And in that case, the structure of the political and police forces is such that that kind of conspiracy is possible. And there was evidence of that collusion leaking all over the place from the start, as I recall, not to mention all of the eyewitnesses who countered the official story.

Likewise, whenever a cop shoots an unarmed black kid in the US, all of the people who could do something about it are incentivized not to - the other cops, the district attorneys, the conservative politicians. It looks like a conspiracy, but it's not really even that sophisticated nor is it really that many people, and it's not hard to prove these conflicts of interest exist. It's just hard to undo them or get people to work against them.

On the other hand, "big oil" does not actually have the ability to suppress all of the science and technology to create massive geothermal energy without creating a lot of evidence that they're doing it. For example, Big Oil has actively tried to suppress the evidence of climate change, but they've left a very large trail of evidence that they did that and, even despite their efforts, anybody actually interested in the truth knows it now and has for some time.

It's not even clear that it has the incentive to stop thermal energy, given that it is one of only industries with enough capital to build the infrastructure that would be needed for widescale geothermal. They stand to make a lot more money by promoting it than squashing it.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: After the death of almost a hundred people at a sporting event the senior police officers who were responsible worked closely with the government of the day to prevent the truth coming to light. They managed to persuade hundreds of junior officers to change their statements, pathologists to alter post mortem reports and appointed a coroner who deliberately excluded any evidence that might be prejudicial to their case, whilst the press ran stories accusing the dead fans of being at fault.

How is that a moronic conspiracy theory?

I think the "worked closely with the government of the day" is possibly an overclaim though. I don't doubt Tory cunts instinctively sympathised with the police, but I'm not familiar with any evidence of ministerial collusion. Patnick was heavily implicated, though just a backbencher. A real government conspiracy wouldn't have involved appointing a judge who fingered the cops as the culprits.

(Open to education on this, though)

Comment

Google Now threw this up earlier, and noticing the headline on what I'd previously thought was a serious* news site, I had a read. For some reason RT are reporting this as an actual news story. Wikileaks say Edgar Mitchell thinks aliens are only refusing the help out humans with their tech as they're afraid we'll use it to fight each other (fair enough), and that the Vatican is in on this.

The really weird thing about this is that Edgar Mitchell has walked on the Moon, so it's not like some ill-informed idiot with nothing better to do has come up with this stuff.

* Obviously, not free from bias by any means. But every article I've read on there until this has been pitched much closer to proper news than this sort of shit.

Comment

Sam, I don't think you should be joining this thread until you've explained away the 1978 World Cup.

BUT YOU CAN'T

Comment

Now we're back to comments a few posts up pointing out that the title of the thread is Moronic conspiracy theories. And in fact I should probably italicise the 'conspiracy' bit of that as well.

Anyway, I'm not Argentine.

Comment

I am not Dutch, but it is STILL YOUR FAULT.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: After the death of almost a hundred people at a sporting event the senior police officers who were responsible …
                  More cover-up than conspiracy.

Comment

The really weird thing about this is that Edgar Mitchell has walked on the Moon, so it's not like some ill-informed idiot with nothing better to do has come up with this stuff.
                    I read a book a while back where a British writer attempted to interview all the men who walked on the moon (before they died basically).

The interesting thing was that this intense, transcendent experience completely changed them all as people, but in completely different ways - Armstrong became a recluse, Aldrin a drunk, Al Bean an artist etc.

But Ed Mitchell went full-on David Icke. You get the feeling the other Apollo astronauts, although they liked hum, were pretty embarrassed by him in the decades afterwards.

Comment

RT is very much not a serious news site/channel. Even aside from the Kremlin propaganda, it regularly promotes consipracy theories and has the likes of Alex Jones and Lyndon LaRouche on to discuss them.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                        Originally posted by Nefertiti2
                        After the death of almost a hundred people at a sporting event the senior police officers who were responsible …
                        More cover-up than conspiracy.
                        No cover-up can occur by individuals acting alone.

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote: No cover-up can occur by individuals acting alone.
                          I didn't claim they could.

What I meant was that the common understanding of a conspiracy is something planned in advance, whereas cover-ups are retrospective.

Comment

Mitch wrote: I read a book a while back where a British writer attempted to interview all the men who walked on the moon (before they died basically).

The interesting thing was that this intense, transcendent experience completely changed them all as people, but in completely different ways - Armstrong became a recluse, Aldrin a drunk, Al Bean an artist etc.

But Ed Mitchell went full-on David Icke. You get the feeling the other Apollo astronauts, although they liked hum, were pretty embarrassed by him in the decades afterwards.
                            There is a very documentary called "Last Man On The Moon" about Gene Cerney and I think the issue is that you had these incredibly intelligent, competitive and focused individuals who have worked for their entire career for this one shot at a mission who come home to fame, maybe a little bit of money and are then dumped right back into the "real" world with little or no idea of what the hell to do and no support mechanism.

No wonder they go off the rails.

Comment

It's the same thing that happens to athletes, movie stars and musicians once the bloom has gone off the rose. What do you do (and who do you become) when you have 40 years to kill and an ass-load of money and faded glory?

Comment

I had the impression that Ed Mitchell was always a bit like that. He's supposed to have secretly carried out ESP experiments while on Apollo 14.

Comment

Your Usual Table wrote: I think getting firsthand confirmation of the insignificance or diminutive status of all life on Earth in the grand scheme of things has a profound effect on you.
                                  I'm not joking about this, but I usually walk out of those big IMAX films on The Universe feeling utterly despondent and insignificant. The 'what does any of it matter' feeling is overwhelming for a while afterward.

Comment

Douglas Adams did some great stuff on this with the Total Perspective Vortex, the upshot of which was that the one thing humanity can't possibly afford is a sense of proportion.

Comment

'm not joking about this, but I usually walk out of those big IMAX films on The Universe feeling utterly despondent and insignificant. The 'what does any of it matter' feeling is overwhelming for a while afterward.
                                      I get those feelings of insignificance and "what does any of it matter" but they don't make me despondent. They make me feel really elated and full of awe.

Comment

one thing humanity can't possibly afford is a sense of proportion.
                                        David St Hubbins said something pithier along the same lines I think.

Comment

Hmmm, a regular poster who in the past has seriously lost his cool when insulted posts a trolling commentary on Hillsborough in a thread about moronic conspiracy theories. Hmmm.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                                            one thing humanity can't possibly afford is a sense of proportion.
                                            David St Hubbins said something pithier along the same lines I think.
                                            Hmm, good spot. Adams is first by a good few years. I'd guess coincidence or unconscious borrowing rather than anything else though.

Comment

PT, let it go is my advice.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Hmmm, a regular poster who in the past has seriously lost his cool when insulted posts a trolling commentary on Hillsborough in a thread about moronic conspiracy theories. Hmmm.
                                                What's trolling about posting the TRUTH??!!

You can't handle the TRUTH!!!!

Comment

Speaking of Russia Today...

Edit: The BBC headline is rather misleading. The RT accounts have not been frozen, they're being closed down in the coming months. There's nothing (in principle) preventing them transferring the money to different accounts.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Hmmm, a regular poster who in the past has seriously lost his cool when insulted posts a trolling commentary on Hillsborough in a thread about moronic conspiracy theories. Hmmm.
                                                    Apologies if I offended anyone.

I posted about Hillsborough only to show that conspiracies do sometimes occur.

As Jack Straw once
                                                    we all start to believe in conspiracy theories and that the officials are lying, that I am lying, that behind this there is some kind of secret state which is in league with some dark forces in the United States … there simply is no truth in the claims that the United Kingdom has been involved in rendition."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X