Star Trek - Original Series rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So finally getting around to rewatching the original Star Trek, on Netflix.
    It's been tarted up digitally I would say by the lovely clarity, but still isn't 16:9 but that would be weird I guess.

I did a bit of background prep, and found out that there were actually 2 pilots, 1 with Jeffrey Hunter as lead cast, and one with old Billy.

So I am starting from the beginning.

Pilot The Cage, is with Jeffry as Captain Pike, and although I never saw it before, I knew the story as they dug it out as a back story on a 2 parter later on.
    What is most amazing, apart from Spock being very shouty, and the rather loose dress codes for lady crew members, is that many of the iconic stills seen at the end of all future Star Wars episodes as the theme music finishes off, are from this pilot - as in the exotic green dancing girl,.
    I felt sorry for old Mr Hunter, as he wasn't bad as lead cap'n.
    Until the appearance in the next episode of Canada's finest just saying "Space the Final frontier etc". Then sorry Jeff forgot you already.

General impressions are , sexism rules, but thank god they eventually get rid of Janice, and the make up improves after the pilot.
    The colours are very very bright, for anything to look outlandish (like food, plants etc).
    Jim met his Evil Bob half last night, Mudd's Women tonight , Scotty is only 2 phrases away from me shouting Bingo already, what's not to love.

But absolutely loving it - rest of family are totally not into it.

And that original series Enterprise is still just lovely....
    Now I will go back to saying "Bridge" when ever I enter a lift, after years trying to break the habit.

EDIT
    Almost forgot , a big continuity error.
    In the 2nd Pilot, "To Go Where No Man has gone" - Kirk sees a gravestone with his name on it - it says James R Kirk not James T Kirk, I had to rewind to make sure I had seen it right.
    Maybe he got the T by deed poll change?

Are you sure it wasn't his father's stone, or something? His dad appears in the start of the reboot Star Trek film, but I can't remember what he's called. The captain of the Enterprise in that film of course, before young Kirk comes into his command is named Captain Pike – a direct nod to the original series' original pilot episode.

It's still hard to type the words 'Captain' and 'Pike' in close proximity without hearing the words "You stupid boy..." echoing somewhere at the back of my head, mind...

I've caught bits of the original series being repeated on one of the outlying Freeview channels here in the UK in recent months, though the only one I've stopped to watch properly was 'Space Seed', the one introducing Khan. The day before yesterday I was delighted to see it was 'The Trouble With Tribbles', but to my dismay I then feel asleep ten minutes into it.

Comment

Hmm, Tribbles. Wonder what it would be like to hump one?

Comment

From what I've read Jeffrey hunter's wife was also his manager and didn't want him to do the show. Roddenberry and the network were happy with him but she allegedly said "Jeffrey is a movie star and doesn't do TV " so the shat got to sit in the big chair, poor Jeffrey didn't do an awful lot after that and unfortunately died relatively young

Comment

I've stumbled across these as well...Freeview Channel 64 - CBS action or some-such of a Saturday.

I was disappointed that the Tribbles one wasn't as good as I recomembered, ooh about 40 bloody years ago.

There was that weird one when they went into a parallel universe and Spock and Co were right gits -- Sulu pawing Uhura didn't look right.

Comment

I used to watch these avidly, back in the 70's/80's when they were on BBC2 weekday teatimes. Had a few of those 'technical manuals' that purported to show cutaways of the warp drive system and pages of similarly geeky stuff. Got the deck plans of the TV series Enterprise, too. Did you know there was a bowling alley tucked away in the lower section of the hull? A long way from the holodeck, huh.

Comment

ISP, perhaps it might be worth looking out 'Trials and Tribble-ations', which is a Deep Space Nine episode where the furry critters struck again and there were numerous scenes where the protagonists of the '90s show were cleverly spliced into footage from the '60s show. Watching that years ago was my only direct exposure to tribbles (not in the Kirk sense, as pictured by Rogin above) and I remember it being excellently done.

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ, lads.

Comment

Ah, away with your owls, you.

Comment

Well "Mudd's Women " was interesting, certainly the way they did female allure, and male drooling - it was very 1960's.

But you've got to hand it to Shatner, he is so damn good at being just him.
                    His walk, his "swagger" his delivery , OK he did TJ Hooker the same way as well; but snaps to Chris Pine on the reboots , ----he tries, although not quite there yet Chris.

i remember , travelling to the US years ago on business, and flicking through the channels, and finding Star Trek again; but being so frustrated , at all the ad breaks - I think one episode seem to take about 2 hours.
                    What americans must think of just watching these now on Netflix without the breaks.
                    Now that's what it was like on the BBC, guys, when I first saw it.

Important fact
                    I gave up going to the Scouts as it clashed with Star Trek.

Comment

I stopped going to youth club because it clashed with Blakes 7.

Comment

I stopped going to youth club because we got banned for robbing the pool table.

Comment

Yeah, robbing the pool table takes balls.

Comment

Cue the 'stick-up' puns.

Comment

Still, having a pool table at home must have cushioned the blow.

Comment

I hope the club chalked that one off to experience.

Comment

Did they pocket the insurance pay-out.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote:

Pilot The Cage, is with Jeffry as Captain Pike... many of the iconic stills seen at the end of all future Star Wars episodes as the theme music finishes off, are from this pilot - as in the exotic green dancing girl,.
                                    Um.

Comment

Trek/Wars, it's all the same...

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                                        Originally posted by VTTBoscombe

Pilot The Cage, is with Jeffry as Captain Pike... many of the iconic stills seen at the end of all future Star Wars episodes as the theme music finishes off, are from this pilot - as in the exotic green dancing girl,.
                                        Um.
                                        Shite, I meant Firefly of course

Comment

Thanks in part to this thread, I just watched the first Star Trek movie (the "V-GER" one). It was far worse than I remembered. Lots of "ooh, look we have new SFX toys", which of course date horribly.

There's a scene early on where Kirk and Scotty get in a shuttle to go to Enterprise. Nowadays that would be "get on board - three seconds of model in flight - dock, disembark". But back then they were obviously so proud of themselves (or the model makers had a great union) that they showed several minutes of it, no dialogue, just music and meaningful love glances between the actors. God it was tedious.

Next week the second one is on ("Wrath of Khan"). I'll watch that one too. Might as well destroy every fond memory I have, no point doing it half-hearted.

Comment

I think most people would agree that the first movie was pretty ropey, but that The Wrath of Khan is probably the pick of the bunch, certainly of the original-cast films. Then they continue in the famous "odd-numbered Trek films are rubbish, even-numbered ones are great" pattern – which popular consensus of opinion says holds true up at least as far as First Contact and Insurrection, the fantastic eighth and a-bit-soapy ninth of the original sequence prior to the reboot. So you might be best off tuning in next week, then every second week after that.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Trek/Wars, it's all the same...
                                              I've got your back.

Comment

I'm going to sound like a trekker here but there were 10 films before the reboot. Nemesis killed the 'even number films are great' sequence apparently.

Now, who can tell me where you'll find a conversation about mixing up the Star Trek Wars with the Star Wars Trek?

Comment

I doubt I'll revisit the entire thing, but I've watched a few classic episodes. The City on the Edge of Forever was still excellent.

Currently watching ol' Bill give it the full Shatner in The Enemy Within.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X