Manager slayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manager slayers

I noticed after the weekend that the two sides beaten by Liverpool and Preston, Swansea and Aston Villa, promptly sacked their managers.

It got me to thinking, are there any clubs against whom defeat has most often been the kiss of death for managers over the years? The "if we've lost to them, that's the final straw" club? I doubt there are stats, but people might have anecdotal memories. Who did you lose to that was the final game for your managers, or who did you beat that generated that P45 the morning after?

Liverpool lost two managers after draws against Everton - Dalglish first time round (resignation) and Rodgers, so they probably top our list. I can't remember off the top of my head if a defeat to Liverpool has cost anyone their job before Guidolin, but I'd expect it has happened before.

Manager slayers

We got rid of two Blackburn Rovers managers in the same season, 2012-3. Steve Kean and Henning Berg. Fortunately for Michael Appleton we didn't draw them in the Cup.

Comment

Manager slayers

Didn't West Brom have a bit of a rep for this recently?

Comment

Manager slayers

TheLikesOfDoncaster finished off about 5 in a single season recently if I recall correctly

Comment

Manager slayers

Comment

Manager slayers

I went to Reading v QPR last year. It was Neil Warnock's last game in charge of QPR and Steve Clarke was sacked by Reading after Warnock's 5-5-0 team formation somehow won 1-0.

This season I went to see Cardiff v Derby and Derby removed Nigel Pearson from first team duties halfway down the motorway to the game or something. I fully expected that to be Paul Trollope's last game in charge for Cardiff but he's grimly hanging on.

Comment

Manager slayers

He's gone, apparently.

Comment

Manager slayers

I saw his last home match in charge then.

Have Burton Albion slayed a manager before?

Comment

Manager slayers

Barnet, at least three times that I can think of.

Comment

Manager slayers

In the mid nineties Brentford went through a phase of only winning once a month, but whoever we beat would immediately sack their manager. I found it slightly insulting, although we did go on a run of getting successful players their managerial boot, like Peter Shilton and Frank Stapleton (ie, they're the only ones I can remember, but I'm sure there were more)

Comment

Manager slayers

Snake Plissken wrote: Didn't West Brom have a bit of a rep for this recently?
                      Yes, the speciality was Chelsea managers, with Villas Boas and Di Matteo both being fired following defeats at the Hawthorns. Chris Hughton from Newcastle was another, and dear old Mick McCarthy of course, after losing 1-5 to Albion at Molineux while managing Wolves

Comment

Working...
                      X