Howard Gayle at Liverpool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing extract from Howard Gayle's aurobiography about being a black player at Liverpool.

Tommy Smith doesn't come out of it very well. Graham Souness on the other hand does.

fuck, I thought he had just died. this year has been particularly bad for clicking on threads like this and discovering that someone else had kicked the bucket.

Comment

Apologies- have changed the title.

Comment

Smith was outed as a racist in the John Barnes biography 'Out of His Skin'. Nasty piece of work, by all accounts.

Comment

Smith was well known for having the sort of views I keep reading the Labour Party need to listen to. I remember a reporter telling how Smith came out with a load of racist drivel automatically assuming that a fellow white male would agree with him.

Comment

He was and still is a horrible racist cunt. And you can add that awful gobshite Grobbelaar to that.

Comment

Tbh I'm amazed Emlyn Hughes came out well in that article. Seemed a reactionary twunt under his cheeky chappy persona back when he was a tv personality.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Smith was outed as a racist in the John Barnes biography 'Out of His Skin'. Nasty piece of work, by all accounts.
                I think it was WSC that brought this book to my attention and the chapters on Gayle stuck in the mind more than the book's main focus. I'd certainly like to give his biog a read based on the link in the OP.

Does anyone recall his time at Blackburn in the late 80s/early 90s? I seem to remember that he was a decent success there and really popular with the fans, ironically fizzling out just as Rovers reached the big time.

Comment

Working...
                X