Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't anybody watch Man United anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"... shit northern teams...."

A bit harsh lumping Burnley in with some of the other teams listed, I'd say. They defended well enough, without any hint of foul play. After what seemed to me to be a couple of their most productive weeks for a long time, Arsenal's creative players were mis-firing again today. And it was noticeable that there was really nobody on the bench that Wenger had any confidence in to make the difference.

Comment

Shit Northern teams.

Have a fucking word with yourself.

Comment

Timewaster wrote:
        Originally posted by Jah Womble
        Indeed. They seem to be cashing in those 'get out of jail' cards on a weekly basis these days...
        Top work! Just after the goal, I thought about logging in to post, "JW to thread: you are contractually obliged to tell us how lucky Arsenal were or that Burnley were crap or both." I should've known there'd be no need. I'm struggling to stretch twice(?) this season to 'a weekly basis' but you're the expert!
        Not really. I barely ever bring up the Arse these days - it was OA who mentioned it in the previous post. I'll admit I was agreeing with him, however.

If it helps, I don't think Wenger's current crop are a bad side at all - but they have had some rather fortunate (and crucial) decisions go their way of late. One or two Gooners I know have conceded this themselves, so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that.

Oh, and, from what I saw, Burnley were very good at times.

Anyway, very flattering to know that you're thinking of me when watching your team play. (Well, it's also a little disturbing, but I'll let that ride...)

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Shit Northern teams.

Have a fucking word with yourself.
          it's this lack of self-awareness that makes it such a joy. there's this horrible boring perpetual narrative about arsenal away in the north that makes games like this so horribly predictable and why today was so enjoyable.

it actually is unfair to lump burnley in with warnock's sheffield united etc. but i don't really care this evening.

Comment

Yes, but will the Arse even come third this season?

Comment

"Lack of self awareness".

Rightho.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you.
                Blimey, calm down Orinoco. It was merely a prediction given Broadway Danny's propensity for rash challenges having already been booked in this match and City having Aguero on the pitch.
                We'll just have to wait until May for the implosion.

Arf.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                  Not really. I barely ever bring up the Arse these days.....
                  I was just jokingly referring back to your comment last week:
                  "Before all the Arse-lovers get too carried away here - Chelsk were f***ing atrocious. But I'm bound to say that, eh?"

I think it's fair to say that you still mention the Arse rather more often than your very sensible manager thinks is healthy and almost as often as you post to point out that Spurs haven't folded and that their key players are proving their doubters wrong etc [/winky thing].

Comment

sardines on toast wrote: as an unashamed arsenal fan that was the most cathartic victory i've possibly ever experienced. playing shit northern teams away from home and not winning is a recurrent nightmare, going back through... the di canio/alcock game.
                    Lee Briscoe. Superb.

Comment

No way that handball was deliberate, ball to arm.

That said questionable Arse deserved to win overall.

Comment

To Defensive Minded: Only if Oxlaide-Chamberlain played the ball from which Koscielny handballed, which I don't think he did. It looked like Koscielny played that himself.

Comment

Timewaster wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jah Womble
                          Not really. I barely ever bring up the Arse these days.....
                          I was just jokingly referring back to your comment last week:
                          "Before all the Arse-lovers get too carried away here - Chelsk were f***ing atrocious. But I'm bound to say that, eh?"

I think it's fair to say that you still mention the Arse rather more often than your very sensible manager thinks is healthy and almost as often as you post to point out that Spurs haven't folded and that their key players are proving their doubters wrong etc [/winky thing].
                          Ah, well you're transposing the comments of others with mine there. My original post - which, believe it or not, was supposed to have been a lighthearted retort to Calvert's - was purely in regard to today's game: it was TAB who started talking about Tottenham's propensity for 'folding' and the like. I'm more than happy with the club's current trajectory.

But, okay, it's a fair cop - I did say that about the Arse/Chelsk game last week. But, come on, the latter really were dire. (None of which means that the Arse 'didn't' play well in that game, of course.)

(The MOTD mob don't seem to think that the late winner today should've stood either, FWIW.)

Comment

I'm quite enjoying the talk of Spurs 'folding'. I grew up with Spurs spending two decades in mid-table, where there was no real challenge for honours. The traditional Spurs collapse, as we currently refer to, begins with the defeat to West Ham in 2006 which cost Spurs a CL spot. 2011/12 & 2012/13 saw similar folds. And last year's collapse was when the club were challenging for the title (albeit, a long shot at the time).

Actually, for all the talk of how its historically embedded in the club, I'm struggling to think of the occasions when Spurs folded pre-2006. Perhaps people are confusing a poor side taking hammerings with a side who enjoyed good positions only to collapse when the heat comes on. That would my interpretation of 'folding'.

Comment

As a general assessment, the MOTD mob don't have a effing clue about the rules of Football, so their opinions really are not worth anything at all.

I've still not seen the incident, and almost certainly won't ever do so. So I've no idea if the ref was right to give it or not.

Comment

Outstanding March at the lane. The game was played at an unbelievable pace.

One of the best performances by Spurs in decades.

Comment

The pundits last night were Jermaine Jenas and Ian Wright. Jenas comes across as level headed and knowledgeable. It was so clearly spooned in by Koscielny even ultra partisan Wrighty said it shouldn't have been allowed.

Comment

Jeans does come across as a pundit who does a bit of thinking and fact checking.

Comment

I don't know whether Koscielny was offside or not when he punched it into the net, but wasn't it also well over the added time? It's almost as if Arsene Wenger has said to the FA "I might be available next summer, if I could just leave Arsenal on a high".

Comment

A few seconds over, yes. But team was attacking, ball was in play and "A minimum of" so.. the least of it, TBH.

Comment

And two minutes did seem a bit puny - there'd been several substitutions, a stoppage for a head injury to Mustafi, and quite a bit of minor timewasting from Heaton on his goal kicks.

Comment

Two was about right - there was only two substitutions (Well, three, but Arsenal did a double sub, so two stoppages). And that head injury stoppage was very short - he was told to get up and off the pitch.

Where he got one minute for the first half from I don't know though.

Comment

François' auto-select is throwing up some interesting typos.

Comment

Janik wrote: As a general assessment, the MOTD mob don't have a effing clue about the rules of Football, so their opinions really are not worth anything at all.
                                                Well, an experienced fireman mightn't be able to save my burning flat either, but I'd feel a tiny crumb of comfort for having opted for his services rather than some blokes off the internet.

All of which rather convolutedly suggests that I care more about this than I actually do.

Comment

Swansea apparently have hired Bob Bradley.

American manager in the EPL. Former Barcelona manager in Atlanta. Dogs and cats living together!

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Janik
                                                    As a general assessment, the MOTD mob don't have a effing clue about the rules of Football, so their opinions really are not worth anything at all.
                                                    Well, an experienced fireman mightn't be able to save my burning flat either, but I'd feel a tiny crumb of comfort for having opted for his services rather than some blokes off the internet.

All of which rather convolutedly suggests that I care more about this than I actually do.
                                                    Along the lines that those who can do, those who can't become critics, the Match of the Day pundits are better classed as failed firemen. With all the attendant lack of authority that conveys.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X