FA or not FA (again). Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either Wealdstone v Banbury or Rayners Lane v Wantage Town Reserves for me. It depends on the state of the weather and my knee...

Burnley vs Arsenal at t'Turf, before a quick dash to see Adam Hills at the Lowry.

I suspect I will need cheering up.

Comment

Would like to have gone to Lincoln United v Handsworth Parramore in the FA Cup but can't get back in time for an evening commitment. So off to Sheffield v Newcastle Town in the Northern Premier League Division One South instead. Nice bit of scheduling for any away fans, they can share a lift with the Toon Army heading to Rotherham.

Comment

Zilina v Podbrezova, 1st vs 2nd in the Slovak league for me. It's also the top scorers vs the best defence. Zilina have scored 24 goals in their 10 games so far, Podbrezova have conceded only 3.

Podbrezova come from a town which has little but a steelworks and some tower-blocks, and are relative newcomers to the top league, having been promoted for the first time in 2014. They've played well on previous visits to Zilina, defending well for a 0-0 two years ago and outplaying the hosts to win 3-1 last year.

The other problem Zilina have is that their captain and Slovakia international Viktor Pecovsky had his leg broken by a bad tackle last weekend.

I don't foresee it being higher-scoring than 1-1, which means it could end up 4-4.

Comment

Is anyone else slightly disappointed that Snake used "a quick dash" instead of "hotfooting it"?

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Either Wealdstone v Banbury or Rayners Lane v Wantage Town Reserves for me. It depends on the state of the weather and my knee...
            Definitely should be the latter game, just to see if any teenage eskimos turn up amongst the away following.

Comment

I'm in Brighton with the other half for a wedding evening party, but noticed Whitehawk are playing in the FA Cup in the afternoon. Anyone recommend it for a visit? Is it easy to get to?

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Is anyone else slightly disappointed that Snake used "a quick dash" instead of "hotfooting it"?
                Yes.

Me.

Comment

I'm going to AFC Liverpool v Cammell Laird tonight. Tomorrow it's the Welsh Cup tie between Hawarden Rangers and Carno.

Comment

Wimbledon v Gillingham for me, probably one of the few things to disturb a weekend watching the Ryder Cup on TV.

Comment

Jobi1 wrote: I'm in Brighton with the other half for a wedding evening party, but noticed Whitehawk are playing in the FA Cup in the afternoon. Anyone recommend it for a visit? Is it easy to get to?
                      It is pretty easy to get to, just north east of the city. It is located out the back of a fairly tatty estate. The ground is situated in a natural bowl and used to be a nice setting in the county league days. However, the dramatic rise up the leagues has seen a lot of the temporary seating from the Withdrawn dumped around the ground, with one end a scaffold and sheeting cover. Added to this are some hipster ultras who have attached themselves to the club, so if you want to hear basic football chants from 15 years ago with Whitehawk shoehorned in, this is the place.

A much better alternative is one of the Southern Combination games. Seaford, Wick, Shoreham and Worthing are all at home. Normally I would recommend Peace haven but they don't seem to be able to get through a game without going bust or the players fighting with the crowd, so maybe best avoided at the moment.

I'm off to Hawick Royal Albert in a Scottish Cup replay.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: Normally I would recommend Peace haven but they don't seem to be able to get through a game without going bust or the players fighting with the crowd, so maybe best avoided at the moment.
                        You see, irony does exist.

Comment

Leeds are charging Barnsley fans £37 per ticket so I'm taking my nine year old to

Frickley v Barwell

for a treat.

This will be the first Barnsley match at Leeds that I have ever willingly missed but enough is enough. I'm doubly disappointed as we have decided to let Tommy Wright pick the team as a farewell thank you for his services. He's gone with

Luke Steal

Nickit Eaden
                          Gerry Electronic Taggart
                          Antony Five Kay
                          Aidan and Abetting White

Ryan Bent
                          Clayton Blackmail
                          Anderson Thirty Pieces of da Silva
                          Michael Mekindough

Rory Fellon
                          Scam Winnall

Comment

Santutxu v Deusto

Bilbao derby in La Tercera. Deusto showing good early season form but Santutxu are full of beans following their first win of the season last weekend.

Comment

The joys of the M6 tomorrow for Bolton Wanderers vs Oxford United, will Oxford get their first away win of the season, more importantly will my tickets be there when I arrive.

Comment

In the end a comfortable 4-1 win for AFC Liverpool tonight, although winless Cammell Laird did start brightly. Just over a hundred watching tonight. Since my last visit to Marine they've knocked down the club shop and moved it to a musty smelling room in the clubhouse.

Comment

I like the third qualifying round, it's the one where you still get places I've never heard of, hoping they might just make it to November's "proper".

Postmen of Brimscombe* and Thrupp, this is your time. Er, I won't be there, obviously.

(*in Gloucestershire, it says here)

Comment

longeared wrote: Would like to have gone to Lincoln United v Handsworth Parramore in the FA Cup but can't get back in time for an evening commitment. So off to Sheffield v Newcastle Town in the Northern Premier League Division One South instead. Nice bit of scheduling for any away fans, they can share a lift with the Toon Army heading to Rotherham.
                                    From the Potteries?
                                    And even Mackems would admit the other one's a city!

Comment

Thanks to Carlisle for giving a whole 10 minutes notice of the change of venue for this mornings game.

Comment

In London for NFL. So have popped to the Hive for Barnet vs Orient. For a Portakabin ground it's not too bad.

Funny that both the forum's York fans aren't watching York. Probably wouldn't have gone to watch the fare dodger's latest afternoon of crud.

Comment

You should've joined me at the other end of Harrow, Rayners Lane have just scored a joke goal to go one up.

Comment

First bit of ball-touchage for the season.

Comment

If anyone's at as scenic a ground as this today, then I'd be keen to hear about it.

Comment

There's a guy sitting on the next bench* cuddling a stuffed panda.

*We sit on benches at Rayners Lane.

Comment

Got the midnight ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven as I am treating VL jnr. to the delights of H&Y v. Dorchester.

Was originally scheduled to be played at the new stadium today, but due to the ongoing farce surrounding the ground (waited years for it to open, then it gets shut again after a couple of games) we'll be watching this one in Beaconsfield instead. Oh joy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X