Anthemic midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leicester vs Porto this evening. WOOOO! *Ahem*, sorry.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. And yes, despite myself I do want to hear that pre-match music playing, however utterly pretentious it might be.
    I'm wondering how Leicester are going to fit the Post Horn Gallop in though. I really hope that isn't verboten, the bugler is a traditional part of the Leicester matchday routine.

What else are people taking in?

The slightly less glamorous fixture of Maltby Main v Armthorpe Welfare in the NCEL Premier tomorrow night.

Comment

Two possible responses.

Ha, you are meant to do the Four Yorkshiremen in stages, man. If you go with vast jumps like that by the time we get to BB&F he will have to be watching a 10-year old kicking a coke can down the road, or similar.

or

Pah, glamour? Games are all 22 blokes kicking a ball around, aren't they?

Comment

BB&F will not just know that there's a coke-can kicking competition, he'll know where and when it is and will provide us with the relevant photos...

Comment

I should have posted 2nd. Bradford City v Fleetwood.

Comment

Grimsby v Newport

My first visit to Blundell Park this season as my previous two matches have both been away. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems like a game we're destined to lose as Newport have only won 1 in their last 19...

At least all this will be softened with a visit to Steels pre-match for some of the best fish and chips in the land.

Comment

• premier continental competition
              • non-league step 5
              • league tier 3
              • league tier 4
              • non-league step 3

Yeah, longeared, can you just move your post down here now?

Comment

If I get away from a set of meetings early enough I hope to make Molesey v Tooting & Mitcham United in the Isthmian Premier.

If not, I'll probably make it to Waltham Forest v Sporting Bengal United in the Essex Senior League tomorrow night.

Comment

Not sure where this fits into the hierarchy of glamour, but on Wednesday night I plan to be watching Jacksonville Armada v FC Edmonton in the NASL, hoping that former Carlisle loanee Johann Smith gets a run out for the visitors.

Comment

Third rate les bleus wrote: Not sure where this fits into the hierarchy of glamour, but on Wednesday night I plan to be watching Jacksonville Armada v FC Edmonton in the NASL, hoping that former Carlisle loanee Johann Smith gets a run out for the visitors.
                    In between Dulwich Hamlet and Maltby Main.

Comment

ingoldale wrote: Grimsby v Newport

My first visit to Blundell Park this season as my previous two matches have both been away. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems like a game we're destined to lose as Newport have only won 1 in their last 19...
                      Enjoy the game. I'll be very surprised if you don't romp home.

I'm having a day off from Shyte Newport County. Instead I will be at Port Vale v Millwall. They embarrassed us last season so I'm expecting more of the same.

Comment

So 5 mins to go. Cardiff are a man and 2 goals down. Ricky Lambert got subbed after 12 minutes. The crowd has thinned out rather.

Comment

Derby have looked a much better team than the league table would have suggested.

Comment

Possibly an easy task against Tan United whose only two victories have come against their current companions in the relegation zone.

Comment

Port Vale are great to watch at home these days. Millwall were a nasty, cheaty bunch. All in all this was a bit like watching the wrestling on World of Sport. Heaven knows how the ref (God bless him. He was in a world of his own) booked only two Millwall players yet SIX of Vale's were cautioned.

Comment

That was fun.

Porto are a divey, whiny bunch.

Cuneyt Cakir has an odd refereeing style. I know he winds up some on here and certainly did the home crowd tonight, but I thought he was mostly right, it's just the way he went about things didn't help himself much.

Comment

Down to nine men after 15 minutes in what must surely be some kind of metaphorical performance-art gesture about the fucking state of our club, Orient then proceeded to produce a more spirited an intelligent performance than in almost every other game this season against an unimpressive Plymouth. We were always going to lose, but played well and actually got an atmosphere going, though it served to take the sting out of any sustained protest against the incompetent clown destroying our club.

Comment

Commuter chaos at Waterloo meant I had no chance of making kick off at Molesey v Tooting & Mitcham so had to quickly divert to the nearest other option to that terminus, Dulwich Hamlet v Harrow Borough.

Met up with Uroš when I got there and enjoyed a peculiar game in which Hamlet's midfield at no point worked out quite what formation they were playing while Harrow decided to score three very high quality goals to give a relatively even match a slightly misleading 1-4 final score.

I've not been to Champion Hill for a few seasons but it's still a very pleasant place to watch football and now seems stuffed to the gunnels with cottage industries selling beer, food and merch.

The crowd of 711 was less than what I expected and have seen there before but is still very healthy and I presume there must be quite a drop off in midweek attendances.

Comment

longeared wrote: The slightly less glamorous fixture of Maltby Main v Armthorpe Welfare in the NCEL Premier tomorrow night.
                                      I had been planning on going to this. However I went to last night's Vase replay between Hemsworth and Glasshoughton instead. Reasonable game that surprisingly finished with only one goal for each side, both sides hitting the post at least twice amongst other attempts. It eventually went to penalties which the home side won despite their first attempt last being seen heading in the general direction of Barnsley. Oddly the match was broadcast live by an internet radio station.

Comment

Didn't realise when I posted last night (from inside the ground - first time ever) but Derby had stood down Nigel Pearson just before the game which technically made them "manager-less Derby" when I saw them, which is a fun oddity.

Not as quirky as last year's game between Reading and QPR which was the last game in charge for both managers.

Comment

Maltby Main 1-1 Armthorpe Welfare

Champions League this was not, the ball swerving around in the wind, an assistant ref with a shaky grasp of the offside rule and a mediocre game. Most exciting thing to happen was a 21 man brawl midway through the second half which featured three different players going to ground at various stages.

Armthorpe's first point of the season, looked like being more until Maltby equalised in the last minute.

Comment

Working...
                                          X