Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springsteen Born to Run (press for the book)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume some discussion of the book will appear in the Books thread. I don't expect to read it since autobiographies/biographies aren't really my thing. But I have been interested in watching the various interviews with him surrounding the book, even if most tend to cover the same subjects. Here are two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIF9cZE6V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYmcuN_9iU (and if you look along the side while watching this video, you will be able to find the other 3 parts)

Globe & Mail

What most distinguishes this big-ticket celebrity tell-all, beyond the jaw-dropping advance and the calibre of the celebrity, is the quality of the writing. Completed sans ghostwriter, over the course of seven years, Born To Run cements Springsteen’s status as one of pop’s premiere observationalists, attuned as much to the fine details of American life as the mythic-seeming meanings that hide inside them.

It’s not only a good, readable, page-turning autobiography, but a Major Work. Because it is, in ways both knowing and not, engaged with the looming, unruly idea of America Itself. Bruce Springsteen is, after all, as American as apple pie and blue jeans and wanton gun violence. If he didn’t exist, America would have to invent him. And so his long-form deep-delve into his own psychology offers, I think, persuasive insights into something like the collective American psyche – the nation’s shared myths, values and neuroses.

Comment

That review does two things at once: firstly, urge me to read the thing; secondly,skirt on the edges of inclusion in the Pseuds' Corner.

Comment

There's a big posterboard for this in my local Tesco which reads: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY. IN HIS OWN WORDS.

Erm...

Comment

I keep pressing where it says, but I've not got the book yet.

Comment

Errorist Sympathiser wrote: There's a big posterboard for this in my local Tesco which reads: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY. IN HIS OWN WORDS.

Erm...
            To be fair though so many "autobiographies" these days are ghost written, so it is something worth remarking on (even though it appears entirely tautologous)

Comment

My pal went to a signing in Toronto today; it was limited to 600 people, each of whom got between 7 and 10 seconds with Bruce (my friend got 10, and a big body hug). Some of the people had driven down from Ottawa.

That's it.

She's loving the book. I will read it one day.

Comment

L was (I think) a bit relieved when she heard it was only a really brief meeting. I was reading '15 seconds' online today. Glad your pal went, though. L shook his hand during the Ghost of Tom Joad tour, so she's content.

Comment

In several ways it is a quite remarkable book, and well worth reading even if you're not a Springsteen advocate. By some distance it's the finest autobiography by a musician I've read (not a comprehensive list I admit.) However it's also the finest autobiography by any living person I can recall, and certainly one of the best written.

I was going to write an extensive review over on Books, but decided not to as I'm well-outed as a Bruce devotee on here and people would think I was just wanking.

Comment

Well, it's getting glowing reviews anyway, so you'd hardly come off as a shill for the man. I'll be reading it once L is done, I'm sure.

Comment

You never know WOM. That Books place is not only extremely busy but also highly argumentative.

I'd be interested to read your thoughts AdC. Given the press I am interested, even though I struggle with Springsteen a lot.

Comment

Great mental picture.

Comment

I'm very keen. However my eyes struggle with print books these days so I have to go Kindle, or audiobook but only if:

1. They are unabridged
                          2. The narrator has a tolerable voice or better still one I like
                          3. Better than (2), the author narrates.

If my brief search on a phone is accurate, wishes 1 and 3 are to be fulfilled.

Magic.

Comment

hobbes wrote: I keep pressing where it says, but I've not got the book yet.
                            Thanks - somehow, I'd not quite been able to bring myself to post that.

Comment

Sits wrote: Magic.
                              Usually doesn't rate a mention, but I'll acknowledge two or three tracks.

Comment

I've started reading it. Two days in, I've completed the childhood and youth, and have Bruce on the cusp of making his debut album.

It's really engaging, and proceeds at a mostly admirable pace; though there are bits where I'd like him to slow down a bit, go into greater detail. If one is familiar with his concerts, then one knows a few of the stories in the book. It's nice to hear them within the context of Springsteen's life.

There are a few sections though that grate. The part about The Beatles sounds more like the kind of snivelling stuff Bono would spout forth. But these are few and anyhow skimmable. I do wish his editor would have insisted on disabling Springsteen's All-Caps button though.

The idea of running the book in bite-size chapters is great. I'm grateful for the breaks it allows me to take, though I still have to force myself to put it down.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Sits
                                  Magic.
                                  Usually doesn't rate a mention, but I'll acknowledge two or three tracks.
                                  I don't even possess the album to be honest. I stopped buying Bruce in the early 90s.

Mrs. S' step-mum has given us all a bit of Christmas money which I hope is going to be enough for the audiobook. Have you to compare iTunes and Audible.

It sounds as though individual chapters will lend themselves to a gradual listen.

Comment

I've finally finished the thing. A very readable book. Not the best celeb autobiography ever (I still maintain that title belongs to Gloria Swanson, with David Niven lodging an objection on his own behalf), but a very good one.

I'm delighted that Springsteen mentioned the concerts I was at, in London (even with a pic of the 4 July 1985 gig) and in Harare.

Comment

WOM wrote: L was (I think) a bit relieved when she heard it was only a really brief meeting. I was reading '15 seconds' online today. Glad your pal went, though. L shook his hand during the Ghost of Tom Joad tour, so she's content.
                                      Is he her Joshua Jackson?

Comment

Nope....no idea what that means.

Comment

Berb told a story here a while ago. A couple had an agreement where each had a celebrity they were allowed to fuck. Hers was Joshua Jackson. As it turns out he made an appearance at their uni and the unthinkable happened.

I don't know how I remember these things. I think I spend too much time on here.

Comment

Started listening to the audiobook on the way home yesterday and have now done about six chapters. It completely transports you; I've rarely known writing to evoke time, place and people as well as this.

But to have him reading it to you himself just takes it to another level.

Wonderful.

Comment

Having just reached the end of recording for Greetings From Asbury Park N.J. I am further augmenting my aural enjoyment by now listening to the album before continuing. This is great.

Growin' Up

Comment

Up to the "European Tour" promoting Born to Run.
                                                Last edited by Sits; 02-03-2018, 10:22.

Comment

Here is a link to Pitchfork's list of best Springsteen books:
                                                  https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...test-and-video

I don't know if I found anything new from this list, but figured I would share the link.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X