Sun still shining: weekend match going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to watch Barking v Clapton tomorrow. Have looked online and in guides to see if there are any decent pubs in the area for a pre-match pint and by the looks of things, there are none.

I think it was Barking where the club bar doubled as a "school" for budding black cab drivers to learn The Knowledge.

The shipping container that acted as the board room had a huge A-Z map of London across one whole wall too.

I'm having a quietish weekend after a slew of multiple football games, speedway meetings, cricket matches and boxing in recent weeks and just popping down to The Dons v Salop with the boy.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: I'm going to watch Barking v Clapton tomorrow. Have looked online and in guides to see if there are any decent pubs in the area for a pre-match pint and by the looks of things, there are none.
      East London is a fucking desert for decent beer.

When I've done Barking before, there are a few GBGs on the Gospel Oak - Barking line which I've cleared. However, the Goblin is shut until February.

Best bet is to head for the Upminster Tap room which is by the station, then head back a few stops on the District to Becontree.

Comment

Rotherham United v Cardiff City for me. I'll not expect to see any 1927ers...

Comment

I’ve two separate days out planned. Both involve a morning U18s game, a ride on a vintage tram, and an afternoon game of amateur rugby league. Which one I will attend depends on Mad Dai’s attendance, and the stewarding requirements at the Halifax Model Railway Society annual exhibition.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote:

East London is a fucking desert for decent beer.
            Indeed. Stratford being the exception, which seems to have an incredible number of boozers which could defined as "pwopah" even before West Ham moved in.

Might give Upminster Tap a go, but I'm actually considering walking from my home in Poplar all the way up the Barking Road to get there.

Comment

There's a decent coffee shop at Barking station, with armchairs and a good selection of books. The whole borough of Barking and Dagenham seems to be completely devoid of pubs though.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: I'm actually considering walking from my home in Poplar all the way up the Barking Road to get there.
                In which case, a slight divert to the Black Lion in Plaistow is an option. It's an OK pub that drops in and out of the guide. It has some sort of tie with Mighty Oak so usually has a Captain Bob or Oscar Wilde - Dark Mild on.

It is right next to Plaistow station so you could get the District/Met up from there.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: the Black Lion in Plaistow is an option.
                  That's where the London Millers meet when we play Dagenham And Redbridge.

Comment

Dover v Lincoln for me tomorrow. Could be quite tasty, seeing as the Dover chairman accused us of unsettling Ricky Miller. No doubt he'll score a hat-trick.

Comment

Köln v Shite Energy Drink on Sunday. As a 30 year old I shouldn't be seeing my club play a team (Leipzig clearly aren't a football club) in the Bundesliga that's younger than I am. I realised this morning that there is one club and a marketing gag in the league that have been around less long than I've had a season ticket. No wonder I have depression.

Comment

Tomorrow I'm going to watch Southport play at North Ferriby United. A big match for us against one of our relegation rivals.

On Sunday I'm planning on a trip to Wellingborough Town for their FA Vase match with Bedfont Sports. Time to get the Dog & Duck done now that it's on borrowed time.

Comment

Stroppy bunch, Bedfont Sports. Some of their supporters got all shirty with a mate and I because we commented on the hanging baskets at their place

It did make it look like a beer garden though :

I've considered myself on the Bedfont & Feltham side of the divide since.

Comment

Carlisle drawing against (hastily checks fixtures, I've been on holiday and not paying attention) Wycombe. Then to an open air music festival. In Cumbria. On the last weekend in September. Berghaus day I reckon.

Comment

Eintracht v Hertha. No trains, no pubs, just a bike and a straightforward beer stand.

Comment

Oxford v Charlton I think.

Comment

Very low turn out from Cardiff, and I don't blame them, 'cos they're almost as bad as us...

Comment

After a period of Rotherham pressure, it's dawned on Cardiff that we're there for the taking. Except they're shite too...

Comment

Izzy Izzy Izzy Oi Oi Oi!

Comment

Fuck.

Comment

Double fuck.

Comment

Berkhamsted FC 1-1 Welwyn Garden City FC

Third vs second in the South Midlands Prem, and the expected tight match ensued. WGC swore like dockers at the ref, who eventually started booking them. Still, the visitors will consider themselves unlucky not to have won.

The attendance of 111 was the highest of the season, boosted by fairweather fans like myself.

Comment

Well I played my first game of rugby of the season and lost 64-14 to a 3rd team side which obviously contained 1st and 2nd team players. They denied it, but did admit both their 1st and 2nd teams weren't playing. Plus they had 9 subs.

Comment

Barking won 3-0. Clapton clearly not a happy team at present. Early days, but the new manager seems to be someone it's not easy to get behind. There was some weird stuff going on within the ultras too.

There basically are no pubs anywhere near the Barking ground, I ended up having a couple of pints in The Galvanisers Union before getting the train from Bromkey-by-Bow, I'm not much of a fan of Antic pubs.

Comment

Fine 2-1 win for the mighty Athletic at Carnoustie Panmure, disappointing lack of Alan Gilzean at The Craw's Nest since his laddie's not the manager up that way these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X