The Refereeing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janik View Post
    My tweak would be a combination of the obstruction rule as used in Hockey with the 3 seconds one from Basketball - an obstruction can occur between two players off the ball (as now) or if a player within playing distance of the ball is not attempting to significantly advance the play. 'Significantly advance the play' would be interpreted as having moved the ball less than 2m over the space of 3 seconds or longer (2m to be the distance from original position of ball when play stopped being 'advanced', and not cumulatively as otherwise rolling the ball about under a foot could obviate the rule). That rejig would mean that after 3 seconds standing by the corner flag, the player in possession will commit an offence if he positions himself such to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent attempting to get to the ball.
    I think that's a freakin' excellent idea, Janik. May well pinch for a future blog post, with full accreditation, if that's okay. You should send it to IFAB - I think you can email them through their site, but I have an email address if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
      If I could turn back time I'd stop reading after paragraph 4, with a big smile on my face, and my blood pressure normal.
      I was thoroughly depressed after Saturday's game, and then again last night after my reffing bosses' reaction to my disciplinary report basically accusing me of being a strike-breaker. That's where the blog comes in handy - writing it this morning worked off most of my anger and frustration.

Comment

imp, publish to your heart's content.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
          I always thought that there was a zero tolerance for dissent in rugby, and that even the slightest complaint to the referee meant a yellow card or punishment of some kind (not quite sure how it works in rugby). Disappointing to hear that it's changing in that sport too. At the local rugby club in my home town (Market Rasen & Louth, which ran four teams, and maybe still does) it was ex-players who usually did the reffing.

Back to football - I wrote a piece in WSC sometime in the last year about playing in the Southern Olympian League in the early 90s, and how there was never any dissent, and rarely any cards. But apparently that Corinthian-influenced atmosphere is changing now too because the leagues thrive on the revenue they get from fining players.

I ref these kids in their teens constantly moaning, and riling and fouling each other, and find it hard to remember a single occasion in 35 years of playing that I set out to deliberately foul someone. Yet when you yellow card them,they act like you've encroached on their civil fucking rights.

edit: @Steveeeee - thank you.
          Ian, remind me who you played for in the SOL (I played for Mayfield and then Old Woodhouseians).

For the record I am a Level 5 referee, I get top-ish divisions of Amateur football, and 2 months ago became the Chief Exec of the County FA. I like reading stuff like this as I have an opportunity to do something about it (in fact in a month's time I have a 50% chance of becoming the FA rep and so can try to enact change at the national level.

The trial of sin bins for dissent has gone very well, so much so that it will become mandatory in 19/20. Seems to be having an effect here, simply as teams are finding goals are being scored during the sin bin periods.

Comment

These blog posts would make a brilliant book. I can't be the only one, no?

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              These blog posts would make a brilliant book. I can't be the only one, no?
              Absolutely. (that it would make a great book not that you're the only one)

Comment

They're gripping reads. I say that without irony.

Comment

You lads make me almost weepy. Thank you. Genuinely. Right now it's really, really helpful to me to read comments like that.

@JtS - my God, when did we last hear from you? I played for Nottsborough FC in the SOL, but they moved to the SAL in the mid- to late 90s. They're still going - in fact they're having a 30-year anniversary dinner in June, but unfortunately I can't make it. Anyway, I think the sin-bin for dissent should absolutely be tried out and then implemented. I am absolutely certain it would be effective.

Comment

I'll join in with the imp love. Great if slightly depressing read. As a player I always tried to be courteous to the poor voluntary refs and as a coach I try to do the same and encourage it in the kids. Even from an incredibly cynical point of view being friendly with the refs who are going to be reffing my kids for the next 8 years is surely an investment. I reckon a quick polite 'that's three times he's been held back John' is more likely to have an effect that screaming and swearing. Five refereed games down and no major issues here, but the games have been very clean generally. One incident I enjoyed when one of our players kicked the ball away after conceding a free the ref sent him to bring it back. Then I subbed him off. (Rolling subs, but he got the mesasge). Quite sad the shock and relief on a ref's face when I shake hands at full time and say well done ref, you handled that well.
                    Last edited by seand; 24-04-2018, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                      You lads make me almost weepy. Thank you. Genuinely. Right now it's really, really helpful to me to read comments like that.

@JtS - my God, when did we last hear from you? I played for Nottsborough FC in the SOL, but they moved to the SAL in the mid- to late 90s. They're still going - in fact they're having a 30-year anniversary dinner in June, but unfortunately I can't make it. Anyway, I think the sin-bin for dissent should absolutely be tried out and then implemented. I am absolutely certain it would be effective.
                      I ran the line in a cup semi final for Nottsborough reserves a few weeks ago (gave them 2 pens - not exactly what an assistant is supposed to do).

Dissent sin bins look like they'll become mandatory in step 7 and below the season after next.

Comment

Just like to agree that Janik's obstruction rule seems like a great idea - I'd love to see it at least trialled.

And as someone with no reffing experience at all, I enjoy the insights from imp's blog a lot too. I think I might even have learned some things.

Comment

I’m in the minority but I don’t like Janik’s obstruction proposal. Dare I say it sounds like something from rugby (shudder)- it’s a bit too convoluted and unnatural. I don’t think it’s enough of an issue that it specifically needs to be addressed, I don’t see how it’d be workable and it doesn’t address shepherding the ball out for a throw/goal kick as the ball will move 2 metres in that case anyway. Measuring 2 metres is an issue. All distance measurements in football are done while the ball is dead, i.e. there are pitch markings or the ref steps out 10 yards for a free. Does it have to be 2 metres distance from the starting point? What if I dribble three metres in a semi-circle around an opponent, or nutmeg my opponent twice ultimately returning to the point I started at? Seems harsh to punish that. A physically strong forward could bustle his way 2 yards up and down the touchline anyway. And three second seems very short. If I chase a ball into the corner and a strong defender chases me down and makes the decision to ‘stands me up’ instead of tackling me, I suffer under the proposed rule because my opponent chooses not to engage. Theoretically a keeper on the ball, 30 metres from the nearest opponent who is not bothering to press the keeper, could be punished for surveying the pitch for three seconds before picking a pass (obviously it’d be easy for the keeper to push the ball 2 metres but what if he only moves the ball 1.5 metres in 3 seconds?) Retaining possession, even at the corner flag is a skill in itself, and anyway trying to protect the ball at the corner flag rarely if ever works as it’s almost impossible once a second opponent arrives.

Comment

Guardian piece on Clive Thomas, specifically the famous non-goal at the 78 World Cup.

For once it's worth breaking the "never read comments" rule, there are some good anecdotes in there. Also, a photo of Trevor Brooking looking furious, which is a collector's item.

Comment

We're all missing the point, with the honourable exception of seand, that a player attempting to keep the ball by the corner flag, and the struggle that ensues, is the most greatest thing in all of football.

Comment

I avoided getting abused last weekend by virtue of a sick-note for a swollen knee that curtailed me from walking, let alone keeping up with the finely honed athletes of Frankfurt's amateur leagues. Instead, here's a discussion about how video evidence is going to make the offside law look even more absurd, and how a short story narrated by a pernickety linesman disallowing the greatest goal of all time now suddenly seems pertinent.

Edit @Derek: I recognise that argument, and have to admit that I cheer mightily when it's my own team running the clock down in this manner.
                                Last edited by imp; 03-05-2018, 10:53.

Comment

I mentioned above that my daughter passed her referee's course and had started to follow in her brother's footsteps on the junior circuit. She hasn't done an awful lot since, but she's refereed at a couple of tournaments and is doing another one this weekend - this time of year is good for that sort of thing as there are lots of end of season tournaments organised by clubs, and some weekend ones at the somewhat rundown resort of Silloth on the Cumbrian Riviera. So she's getting some game time under her belt at least. She was offered a place on the line for a County Cup final but the logistics meant she couldn't get there, which she was relieved about really as she hasn't done any line work and didn't want to start at a cup final.

Comment

Good to hear your daughter is 'enjoying' her time as a ref WFD (is enjoying the right word?). I empathise with her relief about the Cup Final, being in the middle as opposed to on the line are 2 totally different dynamics and require differing skills and processes. I am running a short assistant ref training session this weekend, in advance of an U-20 tournament next week, and am frantically brushing up on roles, responsibilities and teamwork requirements as far as being an A/R are involved!

Comment

Not a very exciting column this week - a team that were complete bastards a year ago have gone all nice and family-friendly. Very enjoyable afternoon for me, though, in the main.

Comment

Needless to say, last week's quiet match was a false dawn. I thought Saturday's rowdy U15 game would be the main topic of my column, but it was comprehensively dwarfed by the unremitting arseholery of one of the team's I reffed on Sunday.

The fun thing about these games is writing up detailed disciplinary reports in German (they have to be submitted within 24 hours if you've shown a straight red card). It takes me about an hour and a half on average, sometimes longer. When that happens, one game takes up 6-7 hours out of your day. Not that I'm complaining. More like sitting at my desk with my head in my hands.

Comment

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/999610999757041664

I'd like to think the majority of the pursuers were coming to this poor sods assistance.

Comment

wrong thread

Seeing as it's already here I might as well use this post to say I sent my idea in to the IFAB, and got an acknowledgement today. So we will see if anything comes of it.
                                            Last edited by Janik; 24-05-2018, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Max View Post
                                              https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/999610999757041664

I'd like to think the majority of the pursuers were coming to this poor sods assistance.
                                              It's that kind of scene frau imp is worried could come to pass any weekend now. Only two more games this season, both U17s, then I'm ready for the summer break and a long, hard think about whether it's time to quit.

Comment

This weekend - Fergie time in the U7 league.

My assistant coach turned to me and said, "He's just going to keep the clock running until they equalise, isn't he?" I nodded, and we both laughed. But I was actually feeling dead inside.

Is it common for anyone else on here to regularly think about renouncing football for good? Just to stop paying attention, 100%, from one day to the next to any kind of football at all, at any level? Is that possible?

Comment

I feel footballed out tbh. Might give up and just do ice hockey next year.

Comment

Well, the final weekend of the season, and thanks to yet another fucking arsehole, the summer break can't come quickly enough.

Frau imp ventured on Saturday, "Maybe it's you" (thanks for the support there, my love), Maybe it is. In the same way I was often known in Lincolnshire in the late 1970s as "fookin' Plenderleith" for being a gobby, sarcastic little twat, I somehow rub people up the wrong way on the football fields of Frankfurt in the second decade of the 21st century by asking them to calm down and showing them yellow cards. I don't get my head kicked in quite so often now, though.
                                                    Last edited by imp; 30-07-2018, 11:54. Reason: a time-related mistake

Comment

Working...
                                                    X