Narcos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narcos

Apparently doesn't have a thread of its own, which is a shame. Really enjoyable telling of Pablo Escobar's rise and [inevitable...no spoiler, really] fall in Colombia's coke-fueled heyday.

Season one was very good. Season two, just finished was very, very good. Apparently it's been inked for two more seasons at least.

High points: Wagner Moura as Escobar. Dark, menacing, violent but human and understanding. And the setting; filmed in Colombia's dense, poor neighbourhoods and its lush, green foothills.

Low points: Boyd Holbrook as the 'star'; US DEA agent Steve Murphy. Imagine writing a guy named Steve Murphy...dull, one-dimensional, cliched. Now cast him....that's Holbrook.

Teasing Season 3, it looks like we'll see much less of him and much more of his excellent co-star, Pedro Pascal.

Oh, and if you don't like sub-titles, this might not be your thing.

Narcos

I really liked season 1. I don't mind the American characters so much and, based on what I know of the history, their roles will get more inferesting.

Comment

Narcos

Surely any 3rd season could not feature Escobar, unless it focuses on the DEA going after the Cali cartel

Comment

Narcos

just finished season 1 after originally watching the first episode a year ago and being put off by the voiceover. it got better. wagner moura in particular is excellent. interesting that they've commissioned two more series - they're obviously intending to sloooooow the timeframe right down. maybe they won't need to lean so much on voiceover.

it's a bit obvious at times, pablo's cartoonish obsession with RESPETO, the 'he who fights monsters' arc with steve murphy, but FFS sometimes you have to remember that TV shows are still only TV shows.

i wonder is the show popular with spanish-speaking audiences? how convincing could moura's escobar sound to a native speaker, given that he's brazilian?

Comment

Narcos

What is the obsession with characters in the show pulling up their trousers?. Escobar now does it everytime he moves, to the point that a good proportion of the show is now footage of him adjusting his dress.

Now the little taxi driver turned henchman, who looks like a Columbian version of a 1990s Chris Waddle, has now started pulling up his.

Apart from that, all good.

Comment

Narcos

he reminds me of phil collins

Comment

Narcos

The whole show is Brazillian, I thought. Or made mostly by Brazillians in collaboration with Americans or Canadians or whatever, right?

Comment

Narcos

Bruno wrote: Without giving away the details to those who haven't seen it yet, I thought it was kind of stunning how at the end of the last episode they insert the real photo of Murphy and the Colombian soldiers.
                They've done that throughout, though. The use of historical photos and videos is a great way of reminding viewers 'this shit all happened'. And I can't really be bothered by Escobar's son's complaints that it's not a 100% faithful historical record. Surely viewers can expect a bit of creative license with dates and details.

Comment

Just started on Series 3 ... wow! Pablo who?

Comment

I thought this was bumped because it's location manager just got shot.

Comment

This would have been my entry if I'd contributed to the "TV series you gave up on before the end" thread. Watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1 and it did very little for me. Just no characters to get interested in. Someone had told me it was as good as Breaking Bad. FFS. Too many better things to spend limited telly viewing time on.

Comment

I haven't watched this at all. After Breaking Bad, we got into Queen of the South. There's only so much Latin American drug violence I can take in my TV diet.

Comment

We're die-hard on Narcos. It's been excellent.

[Well duh...it's my Narcos thread...]
                          Last edited by WOM; 19-10-2018, 19:01.

Comment

Working...
                          X