Celtic League Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celtic League Cup

How about a Celtic League Cup played between all the top division clubs sides of Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Wales, plus representative sides from Cornwall and the Isle of Man?

Justification for trophy-
    This would allow Scottish teams the chance to help the smaller Celtic nations to develop their football leagues and allow Scottish football to grow. Ireland is a sleeping giant in football. And Scotland would be helping their leagues which would be generous of us and we would have a very strong chance of winning a cross border trophy.

Reform of domestic leagues:
    Scottish League
    Scottish clubs need to look outward to play teams from other countries.
    In Scotland, I would like a 16 team domestic league simply to free up weeks in the calendar to have a cross border tournament. All this talk of 16, team, 12 team, 10 team leagues is meaningless, if we just play inward looking games, of reorganising the same teams. We are limited to two massive clubs in Scotland, and no amount of internal reorganisation will alter that.

Structure of trophy:
    Organisation of trophy.
    I would have preliminary rounds, group stages then the knockout stages, leading to a final. This is how I would organise it.
    The trophy would consist of 16 Scottish sides, 12 Welsh Premier sides, 1 side from Cornwall, 1 side from the Isle of Man, 12 Northern Ireland top division sides, 12 League of Ireland sides. Plus two teams invited in from England or the lower divisions of the Celtic Leagues. Creating a 56 team trophy.

Group Stages
    There would be 8 groups of 4 in the group stages, for 32 teams, consisting of all 16 Scottish Premier sides, plus the top 2 sides each from Wales, Northern Ireland and the top 4 from the Republic of Ireland, qualify automatically for the group stages. Equaling 24 teams automatically in the group stages.
    This leaves 8 places left to qualify for group stages from the other 32 Cornish, Isle of Man, Welsh, Ulster and Irish league sides left in the trophy. For mathematical reasons 2 teams would be invited from the lower divisions of the Celtic Leagues or England to take up the preliminary round numbers to 32. Meaning a 56 team trophy.
    The object of the preliminary round is to get from 32 teams not in the group stages down to 8 teams, who qualify for the group stages.
    Preliminary rounds.
    There would be two preliminary rounds, where the winning 8 teams qualify for the group stages.
    Group stage 8 groups of 4. 32 teams. Play each other home, and away, equaling 6 games in each group.

Knockout Stages.
    Top two teams from each group qualify for the final 16 knockout stages.
    The next f rounds lead to the final, each tie is one leg with the first team drawn out of the hat given home advantage.
    32 teams
    no amount of internal reorganization will alter that.
    A group stage trophy of 16 Scottish sides, 12 Welsh Premier sides, 1 side from Cornwall, 1 side from the Isle of Man, 12 Northern Ireland top division sides, 12 League of Ireland sides. Creating a 54 team group stage trophy.

Domestic TV rights are negotiated by the leagues of each nation with national rights shared between the four domestic teams. International rights are shared equally among the 16 clubs.

Populations
    4.7 million Republic of Ireland
    1.8 million Northern Ireland
    3 million Wales
    5 million Scotland
    84,000 Isle of Man
    540,000 Cornwall
    Over 13 million total population of participating nations.

Criticisms of Idea
    Travel is tough.
    I disagree, look at the trips taken up by teams in Australia, Russia, and China. A trip to a Western European nation is relatively easy.

Would UEFA Allow it?
    UEFA have allowed other countries to have cross border cups such as the Royal League, and the cup played by teams from the League of Ireland and the Irish League. There is a club from Liechtenstein in the Swiss League. There are clubs from Wakes in the English league and a club from England in the Scottish League.
    UEFA refused permission for a North Atlantic League but they did not refuse permission for North Atlantic League Cup.
    UEFA do not want to destroy the national league system. But this idea works in tandem with the national league.
    UEFA have allowed Welsh and Ulster sides to play in the Scottish Irn Bru Cup.

Loss of two Old Firm Games
    What I would say is that the Old Firm games would be replaced by playing teams from other countries, and helping other countries leagues grow, with a chance for the Old Firm to market themselves to other nations and to win cross border trophies.

Scheduling of tournament.
    I have been told by a very good journalist in Scottish football, that to plan such a trophy, and change to Scottish football. I need to add my plan for the dates of the trophy. I will do so using the calendar of Glasgow Celtic as an example. Remember I would play the Celtic League Cup group stages on the same day as the domestic Scottish League Cup group stages in the place where 6 league games of the league season were previously played. As the Scottish League will have been reduced to 30 games a season in 16 team divisions, it is possible to replace what would be league games in the present system with games in group stages of the Celtic League Cup, and Domestic League Cups.
    Here is the Glasgow Celtic example.
    Tue, 12th Jul Lincoln Red Imps UEFA Champions League
    Wed, 20th Jul Lincoln Red Imps UEFA Champions League H
    Wed, 27th Jul Astana UEFA Champions League A

August 2016
    Wed, 3rd Aug Astana UEFA Champions League H
    Sun, 7th Aug Heart of Midlothian Ladbrokes Premiership A
    Replacement Week 1 Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup
    Wed, 10th Aug
    Midweek game Motherwell
    Scottish League Cup Scottish League Cup H
    Sat, 13th Aug
    Replacement Week 2 Inter Milan
    Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup N
    Wed, 17th Aug Hapoel Beer Sheva UEFA Champions League H
    Sat, 20th Aug St Johnstone Ladbrokes Premiership A
    Tue, 23rd Aug Hapoel Beer Sheva UEFA Champions League A
    Sat, 27th Aug
    Replacement Week 3 Aberdeen
    Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup H
    September 2016
    Sat, 10th Sep
    Replacement Week 4 Rangers
    Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup H
    Tue, 13th Sep Barcelona UEFA Champions League A
    Sun, 18th Sep
    Replacement Week 5 Inverness CT
    Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup A
    Wed, 21st Sep
    Game removed from calendar. Alloa Athletic Scottish Betfred Cup
    League Cup H
    Sat, 24th Sep Kilmarnock Ladbrokes Premiership H
    Wed, 28th Sep Manchester City UEFA Champions League H
    October 2016
    Sat, 1st Oct
    Replacement Week 6 Dundee
    Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup Game Replaced by Celtic League Cup A
    Sat, 15th Oct Motherwell Ladbrokes Premiership H
    Wed, 19th Oct Borussia Monchengladbach UEFA Champions League H
    So the Celtic League Cup groups stages, would have taken place between the 6th of August, and the 1st of October, this season, for this example.
    To guarantee old firm games Celtic could be drawn against Rangers in the group stages to satisfy TV audiences.
    Also how about a Welsh Gold Cup containing all Welsh Premier first teams, and every under 20 team of every Scottish Premier, and English Premier side? To give young players competitive games and to give Welsh clubs games against big club sides each season.

As I said before for the Celtic Super League idea, use Enya's song THE CELTS as the theme tune to the cup, played before every cup game.

Celtic League Cup

Yay! roryfsmith!

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Christ, is he nae back at school yet?
      Or has he bunked of double maths again?

Comment

Celtic League Cup

So much to love in that post. My current favourite:

"I have been told by a very good journalist in Scottish football".

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Am I having a deja vu?

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Again?

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Rory, whauraboots are you from in Scotland? I've never in my puff heard folk in Scotland (or Ireland) refer to "Glasgow Celtic" Maybe on Football Focus or something else on English telly.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

I confess to have been slightly sceptical about your previous suggestions, but I think this one's a goer.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

How will gettinv knocked out in one qualifying round benefit a team from Cornwall.

Also Enya?

Comment

Celtic League Cup

I see that despite Rory’s alternative scheduling, the first round of the SFAs version of the cup is on Saturday.

I am currently deciding between either Bala Town v Alloa Athletic, or Forfar Athletic v TNS.

Should be expect Enya to be top of the mid-week download charts?

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Fuck me, they've even got it on live television.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Fuck me, they've even got it on live television.

Doesn't S4C have a Brookside omnibus?

I hope it doesn't go to penalties, as I'd hate to miss the programme about a Welsh Rugby commentator going to Turkey to meet the worlds tallest man.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Criticisms of Idea
                          Travel is tough.
                          I disagree, look at the trips taken up by TV crews in Russia, China, Australia. A trip to Turkey for a rugby commentator and small production crew is relatively easy.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

I think the Irn Bru Cup is a great idea.
                            I expect TNS to beat Forfar. Because the TNS side are a full time side. While Bala v Alloa will be a close game of similar sized teams.
                            I am supporting the Scottish sides.
                            I would love more cross border games. We do not live in the 1930s when travelling up and down the UK was tough.
                            I SAY NO TO LEAGUE MERGER AS THAT WOULD DESTROY FOOTBALL HISTORY.
                            BUT YES TO CROSS BORDER CUPS.
                            I would love a British German cup, or Scottish English Cups. If the English really want to help us do not anex our leagues, instead help us by playing us in cross border cups.
                            Thanks.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

What about Celta Vigo, Deportiva La Coruna and Nantes, (to give a few examples) Are they not allowed in this tournament or is it a Celtic Cup for the British Isles only? And if so, why? Seems a bit discriminatory.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

Bloemfontein Celtic also?

Does Boston have an associated soccer club?

Plus must be a good few in North America. And Oz/NZ too.

Comment

Celtic League Cup

I do not like to criticize other peoples ideas, even when they are in fun.
                                  South Africa and the USA are a little too far. But maybe Brittany, if they paid for the small clubs travel expenses. Maybe Spain is just a little too far even in the 21st century, for the smaller sides although i would be happy for my teams to play Deportivo.

Comment

Working...
                                  X