High Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Maintenance

This show started as a web series. HBO then bought the rights and put all of the Web shows on-demand. The new season, the first that was made for HBO started last Sunday. A friend tipped me off to this a year+ back and I thought it was kind of funny but got distracted with other things. I binge-watched all of the on-demand episodes over the past few days (not hard to do since some are only 8 minutes long). Anyway, the show is about a weed dealer simply named The Guy. He delivers via his bicycle. The stories are usually really good, and although he is the star, his screen time is a lot less than most show stars.

Check this out if you get a chance. The two that stand out is one called Ruth (I wish I could remember the show that set up Ruth and her friend) and Matilda (which is about a visit from The Guy's niece). Both of these are kind of sweet, but also funny and still have some weed smokin'.

High Maintenance

Episode 2 of the new season aired on HBO this past weekend. This is a really good show. There's an interesting piece in The New Yorker about the link between the show's approach and old New Yorker pieces about ordinary and oddball New Yorkers from back in the day: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-surprising-compassion-of-high-maintenance

Comment

High Maintenance

I saw the one with the hippy dad in the basement, and setting fire to the kettle. That was great.

However, that was a free HBO weekend, and I will have to catch up on the down low.

Comment

High Maintenance

Gerontophile wrote: I saw the one with the hippy dad in the basement, and setting fire to the kettle. That was great.

However, that was a free HBO weekend, and I will have to catch up on the down low.
        It's supposedly only a 6 episode series, which is too damn short. Number 5 was the least interesting so far, but still good. I'm sure you can find them through the usual means. FYI, if you get a free weekend for a movie channel, test to see if you can download a bunch of stuff to your DVR. I don't know if it will work, but if so, you'd have some viewing for awhile.

Anyway, the one you watched was really good. I liked the part with the Chinese dad a little better, but both were cool.

Comment

High Maintenance

Don't have a DVR. However, in previous incarnations, when you download stuff, it disappears when the channels do.

Comment

I have to bring this thread back. Season 2 is going again in the US. Episode 4 aired on Friday night. I thought season 1 was very good. The husband and wife duo that wrote the show, directed, and in the case of The Guy starred in it. This season they added a writing team. This is one of the best shows I have seen. The stories are funny, smart, dramatic. They are excellent slices of life that provide a great look into everyday life in the city (in this case, Brooklyn). Don't sleep on this one if you have access to HBO. And if you don't have access to HBO, I recommend that you visit your friendly neighborhood Swedish pirate ship for some help.

Comment

The third season just finished. I know I am mostly posting to myself, but at some point someone besides Gero and I will watch this one. The second season is the best (and probably the place to start) but this third season was still better than 95% of the current options. It's very NY-centric so maybe I relate to that having lived there and done some work there, but the show is really like a collection of two short stories every episode. If you can find Season 2 Ep 1 start there and then after finishing that season go back to 1. Luckily it was renewed but looking back at my posts suggests that we'd be two years away from Season 4.

Comment

I know this is a thread of me mostly talking with me, but I have to revive it. I'm one week behind on this show, which is airing on Friday nights in the US on HBO, but last week's show was absolutely brilliant. In fact, this season has been a return to the high water mark of the second season on HBO. Last season dipped a bit. There were some shifts in the writing quality, which I think was a product of the two creators getting a divorce and perhaps Katja Blichfeld stepped away from the show, just keeping a producer credit. But this year she has been more involved and maybe a writing team, which was used in Season 2 is more prevalent. I don't know. I can only say that if you want a TV show that views like a short story, you need to watch this show. And go back to Season 2 if you can.

Comment

This looks interesting, but I'm not sure where to catch it. Not on Netflix it seems, and I'm not starting another sub.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    This looks interesting, but I'm not sure where to catch it. Not on Netflix it seems, and I'm not starting another sub.
                    I assume it's HBO around the globe. If you have anything where HBO shows and HBO does a free preview for a weekend, I would interrupt what you're watching and binge as much as you can of this show, starting with EP1 from Season 2.

Comment

HBO is not widely available outside of North America, and the European countries where it is available are somewhat strange.

From their website:

HBO is available in Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        HBO is not widely available outside of North America, and the European countries where it is available are somewhat strange.

From their website:
                        Ok. Then I assume HBO might be selling off various productions to individual buyers. I know from our discussions about the Wire that the Wire was available elsewhere but I don't know how (or if) High Maintenance was sold.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          starting with EP1 from Season 2.
                          That's just wrong. I could not do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

That's just wrong. I could not do that.
                            There are some connections between episodes but not a lot. The thing is that Season 2 is so strong and Season 1 is good but not as strong, if someone new is deciding to commit, start with the best. If the show was more linear then my recommendation would be different.

Comment

Yeah, it's my issue really, I just couldn't do it.

Comment

It looks like this show is on Amazon Prime in the UK and also on Hulu. I don't know if Hulu is only a US thing and I don't know if it is available via Hulu and/or Prime via an HBO login, but Season 4 has been excellent. I'm one or two episodes behind given how much I've been working lately, but episode 4 had a twist of an ending that I was not expecting at all.

Comment

HBO stuff usually turns up on Sky Atlantic, occasionally after it’s been on a terrestrial channel and done well, at which point Sky bust in and outbid the rights holder.

Comment

Atlantic is the one Sky don't let anyone else have isn't it?

Comment

No idea.

Comment

Working...
                                      X