Hell or High Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell or High Water

I really enjoyed this modern Western heist movie. Set in West Texas, but actually filmed completely in New Mexico, the script I believe was top of the 2012 black list.
    It stars Chris Pine and Ben Foster as two brothers robbing local banks in order to pay off a reverse mortgage on their dead mother's land, which they've recently discovered has oil underneath it. Chasing them is a soon to be retired ranger (Jeff Bridges).
    It's a well constructed story with beautiful cinematography and really well acted.

Hell or High Water

The trailer looked good. I've been intending to watch it.

Comment

Hell or High Water

I really liked it. There's nothing particularly new but, as Rob said, the cast are uniformly good and the cinematography has a brilliant dry-heat feel. It didn't go on for 11 hours too, which seems to be the norm these days

Comment

Hell or High Water

Very good. I actually saw it in a theater.

Comment

Hell or High Water

Saw the trailer for this and I, too, thought it looked worth checking out.

Will try to see it.

Comment

Hell or High Water

Saw this a couple weeks ago. Was my favorite movie I saw this summer. Deeply rooted in its setting and the cast is wonderful. A highly enjoyable two hours in the theater, which is sort of becoming a novel feeling for me these days.

Comment

Hell or High Water

It definitely feels like the first film of Oscar-bait season, which is nice because this summer's load of blockbusters weren't great, even by that standard.

Comment

Hell or High Water

Daze wrote: A highly enjoyable two hours in the theater, which is sort of becoming a novel feeling for me these days.
                That's how I felt when I came out the cinema last night - actually excited, and I went on a rant to frau imp along the lines of: "That's a proper fucking film - proper script, proper acting, proper fucking plot..." I went on for a couple of minutes. Just magnificent, in every respect.

So God help me, I laughed most at the scene of the mass SUV turnaround.

Comment

Hell or High Water

Saw this tonight, in an open air screening on the rooftop of some hipster hangout in Peckham (I was killing time between dropping off and collecting my daughter and her friend from a gig round the corner).

Very glad I finally saw it and especially on the big screen, given the panoramic backdrops of West Texas set so much of the mood of the film. I think I would have made more of an effort on its initial release had I realised it was written by the same guy who was responsible for 'Sicario' bit missed it initially despite good word of mouth.

Great cast and performances too, that's a given with Jeff Bridges but also from Chris Pine (though I spent the film wondering what movie he was famous for - I've seen a 'Star Trek' movie on a plane but clearly it left no impression on me), Ben Foster who came close to stealing the film (and I was hitherto completely unaware of) and many of the actors in smaller roles.

I'm not really a massive fan of Nick Cave but though the score he collaborated on was excellent and fitted incredibly well.

All in all, the finest western I've seen in ages.

Comment

Working...
                  X