Becker
        Wilander
        Lendl

Comment

Slam title holders in slam R1 draws

5/5 well done Rogin!

Comment

OK, my research on the men's stats re this question is now complete back to the start of 1988(so I have data for the last 29 calendar years).

A few summary points:

1. Rogin was more or less right when he guessed the previous peak would be in 91 or 92 due to the overlaps he mentioned. In fact, the three joint highest numbers in the men's over the 25 year period 1988 to 2012 inclusive, with 40 titles each in their R1 draws were:

- 1992 Wimb and 1992 US (the latter being the final slam tournament of both McEnroe and Connors); and

- 1994 US (see quiz q above), which was the final tournament of Lendl.

2. That number 40 is of course well shy of the new record sat at 2016 Aussie, 48 titles.

3. But that's partly because there tended to be more absences in the old days. In particular, the 1992 US figure would have matched the 48 achieved in 2016 Aus but for the absences of still-active players Wilander (on 7 titles) and Cash (on 1 title).

4. The most dramatic impact of active player absences was in the record (for last 29 years) low of 9 titles featured in the draw for the 1990 French. Such absences accounted for 33 missing titles (Lendl and Connors 8 each, Wilander and McEnroe 7 each, Kriek 2 and Cash 1).

Comment

Full details for the events I've mentioned:

1990 French: Becker 4, Edberg 3, Noah and Chang 1 each, total 9.

1992 Wimb'dn: Connors 8, Lendl 8, McEnroe 7, Edberg 5, Becker 5, Courier 3, Chang, Sampras, Cash and Stich 1 each, total 40.

1992 US: same as 1992 Wimb except replace Cash (absent) with Agassi (who won his first major at that Wimb'dn).

1994 US: Lendl 8, Wilander 7, Edberg 6, Becker 5, Sampras 5, Courier 4, Bruguera 2, Agassi, Chang and Stich 1 each, total 40.

Comment

To illustrate the frequency of significant absences: the four multiple slam winners Connors, McEnroe, Lendl and Wilander were all "active" for the 5 complete calendar years 1988-92 inclusive (as well as earlier of course), but of the 20 events in those 5 years, there were only 4 events (US and Wimb for each of 88 and 89) where all 4 players were in the draw.

Comment

Full numbers data:

Men

1988: 16, 28, 34, 35
                  1989: 29, 32, 37, 39
                  1990: 29, 9, 26, 34
                  1991: 24, 34, 38, 37

1992: 30, 34, 40, 40
                  1993: 25, 26, 27, 36
                  1994: 29, 33, 24, 40
                  1995: 32, 34, 33, 36
                  1996: 27, 32, 29, 23

1997: 24. 19. 25. 24
                  1998: 19, 26, 24, 24
                  1999: 16, 28, 32, 16
                  2000: 26, 28, 27, 28
                  2001: 30, 31. 29, 33

Comment

On the women's side, I've already noted that the peak of the last 20 years was Graf's swansong at Wimbledon 1999, with 44 titles represented.

I haven't done the detailed and time-consuming work needed to check all earlier periods systematically, but I would wager a tidy sum at evens that the all-time peak in the women's singles was at Chris Evert's final tournament, the US Open of 1989, at which there were 47 titles represented:

Evert 18, Navratilova 17, Graf 7, Mandlikova 4, Sanchez-Vicario 1.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: If there was going to be a "Pointless" answer about slam winners in the last 20 years, it would have been Thomas Johansson.
                      I'd guess Marin Cilic will ultimately join him as a forgotten winner. A similar type of player - solid pro in the lower end of the top 10 a couple of times over their careers. But nothing to suggest they'd ever win a major. Apart from that one time they did.

(Of course Cilic may prove me wrong and become a consistent top-tenner and challenger for majors in the next few years. I doubt it though.)

Comment

If there's a pointless answer for someone who's won more than 1 slam in the last 25 years, it will be Sergi Bruguera

Comment

I dunno - he pretty much dominated clay court tennis for a while. (In an era when clay court "dominance" was at a somewhat lower-level than that exhibited by Nadal more recently.)

Comment

Korda's the one I always forget on the men's side.

Gaston Gaudio's probably the least likely winner, but one whom everyone remembers because he so unexpectedly beat Coria, who was Mr Clay at that time.

The same way everyone (I assume) remembers Iva Majoli's victory on the women's side. Still not sure how she managed to hammer Hingis in 1997 (a year in which Hingis won every other major.)

Comment

Who was that Ecuadorian guy who won RG one year

Comment

Andres Gomez. I always remember that one, because I couldn't stand Agassi at the time. It was a brilliant performance too.

Comment

Well, this announcement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38426014

means it won't be 51 men's singles title in R1 of the upcoming Aussie after all, but it could still (unless there's some other news I've missed) be 50, which I'm pretty sure would also be a new record high.

Comment

There has never been a previous era in men's tennis where three men all held at least 10 slams. The closest might be Emerson (12), Laver (11), Rosewall (8), all Aussies; last time they were all in the draw was the 1972 US Open

On the women's side, might be worth checking the last time that Court, King and Evert were all in the same draw.

Comment

That was at Wimbledon 75 (as the US 75 was Court's last entry, but King was absent from that).

Court had already won all 24 of her slam singles titles, Evert only 3 of hers by then. King had won 11 of her 12 (the 12th being at that event itself) so together they contributed 38 to the total singles titles represented in the R1 draw. When I have a mo, I'll check how many others were there.

Comment

OK, I think that might be a very good shout by Satchmo D. Wimbledon 1975 ladies singles R1 draw included the following players who had already won the following number of slam singles titles each:

Court 24
                                        King 11
                                        Cawley (Goolagong) 4
                                        Evert 3
                                        Wade 2
                                        Richey 2
                                        Durr 1

TOTAL 47, which I think could well be the all-time record on the women's side: it's certainly higher than at any event in the last 20 years, see my data on an earlier page of this thread.

Comment

So, with Del Potro the only relevant absentee on currently known plans, there will be a phenomenal 50 slam singles titles represented in the R1 draw of the Aussie men's singles next week, barring any late withdrawals.

That just has to be the new all-time record.

Comment

Just to note that, with all the active mens's slam singles title holders in the field on Monday, this Wimbledon will give us a new all-time record of 53 (fifty three) men's singles slam titles represented in the opening field. (Fed 18, Nad 15, Djok 12, Muzza 3, Wawr 3, Del P 1, Cilic 1). I find that stunning. The most recent men's slam singles event won by somebody not in the draw next week was twelve and a half years ago, the 2005 Aussie won by Safin. There have been 49 titles won since then, and Federer had already won 4 before that event.

Comment

I can't help noting that 52 of those 53 titles are held by players from Europe, with Del Potro's solitary victory flying the flag for Rest of the World.

Comment

Women's tennis would be similar were it not for the Williams sisters. Only other non-European winners since Capriati won the 2002 Australian are Stosur and Li Na.

Comment

Well, there might have been some other RoW victors had the Williams sisters not been around too. Davenport lost two finals in that period against them for a start.

Comment

Europeans have done decently well during the Williams period, however. 15 different players have won 33 titles between them since the start of 2003. So while there might have been more RoW winners, it's likely that most of those titles would have ended up with Europeans, either with some of the players who did win once or twice having a slightly heavier mantelpiece, or others having had a pot at some point. That is because, in addition to the 15 with pots in that time, there are a further 14 European players who featured in but didn't win a Women's Slam final. By contrast the only RoW players to end solely as runners-up in the same timeframe are Davenport* and Bouchard. And Bouchard's loss came against a European player. As did Stosur defeat in a final and both times Na fell just short. Indeed the only non-Europeans to have been watching on whilst Venus or Serena hoist a trophy in the last fifteen years are Venus and Serena themselves and Lindsay Davenport.

* - Davenport, and one of the European runners-up only (Pierce) actually won Slams (plural), but did so before the period being considered.

There is a reason why the people in charge of American Tennis have been very concerned for a number of years about what happens when Serena and Venus hang up their racquets. They can't market 'Christine' Henin et al, or so they apparently believe. The Williams' have been fighting the tide for a long, long while now without much indication of a successor appearing.

Having made the list to get the numbers, I might as well post it fully.

Since the start of 2003, it runs:

Wins

USA - 22
                                                    Serena - 19
                                                    Venus - 3

Europe - 33
                                                    Henin - 7
                                                    Sharapova - 5
                                                    Clijsters - 4
                                                    Azarenka, Kerber, Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Mauresmo - 2
                                                    Bartoli, Ivanovic, Muguruza, Myskina, Ostapenko, Pennetta, Schiavone - 1

RoW - 3
                                                    Na - 2
                                                    Stosur - 1

Runners-up

USA - 11
                                                    Serena - 5
                                                    Venus - 4
                                                    Davenport - 2

Europe - 43
                                                    Sharapova - 5
                                                    Henin - 4
                                                    Clijsters, Safina - 3
                                                    Azarenka, Dementieva, Halep, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Pierce, Woznaicki, Zvonereva - 2
                                                    Bartoli, Cibulkova, Errani, Jankovic, Kerber, Lisicki, Muguruza, Pliskova, Radwanska, Safarova, Schiavone, Vinci - 1

RoW - 4
                                                    Na - 2
                                                    Bouchard, Stosur - 1
                                                    Last edited by Janik; 02-07-2017, 09:38.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X