X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long March on Moscow - WC Qualifiers, Europe

Jah Womble wrote:
    Originally posted by jameswba
    Thank God I didn't pay to go and watch that. England were dire, but won because Skrtel has shit for brains.
    Sometimes I swear I'm watching a different game from the whole planet: I seem to recall everyone telling me how England had 'got it right' against Russia in the Euros, whereas I couldn't see anything at all to suggest even a vague game plan (which, obviously, was borne out as the tournament progressed).

Similarly, last night - although I only caught the last half hour - I thought England played a darn sight better than I've seen in some good while. (Which, admittedly, isn't saying a great deal.)
    I felt exactly this when everyone was slagging England after the June game with Slovakia. I thought they played decently then, but that Slovakia, Kozacik and Skrtel especially repelled them superbly.

Maybe last night I'd just had it with seeing the same kind of game again, but I really thought England were clueless. Maybe you're the one who has this right since England did win this time.

And Skrtel now needs banning for 10 games, the idiot.

Comment

One of the infuriating issues with England is the lack of anything other than plan A against teams who aren't prepared to take the game too them.

This strikes me as odd, given that, in the main and certainly in the Euros, every opponent they came up against 'parked the bus', and most of these players face this conundrum plenty of times during the season (or whenever they play West Brom).

I also think that the 'who am I to tell Wayne Rooney what to do?' question, will come back and bite Allardyce on the arse. That seems like a bloody ridiculous thing for a manager to say, and a complete cop out. You certainly wouldn't hear it from Mourinho, so I'm not sure why Sam Allardyce feels he can't take responsibility for letting Rooney playing wherever he felt like, and if he didn't he should give him a bloody good shoeing.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
        Originally posted by jameswba
        Thank God I didn't pay to go and watch that. England were dire, but won because Skrtel has shit for brains.
        Sometimes I swear I'm watching a different game from the whole planet: I seem to recall everyone telling me how England had 'got it right' against Russia in the Euros, whereas I couldn't see anything at all to suggest even a vague game plan (which, obviously, was borne out as the tournament progressed).

Similarly, last night - although I only caught the last half hour - I thought England played a darn sight better than I've seen in some good while. (Which, admittedly, isn't saying a great deal.)
        If you only saw the last half hour then you only saw them against ten men. It would be easy to get a flattering impression from that.

I was more interested in the cricket but apparently they didn't manage a shot on target prior to having a numerical advantage and what I did see of them in the first hour was as confused and turgid as before.

Comment

Well, I didn't go as far as 'flattering', but the performance seemed to me a tad more cohesive than France. (The sending-off does rather skew matters though, yes.)

blameless wrote: Scotland 'did a job', which is always commendable.

Germany do a job. Italy do a job. Spain, Portugal, England, France, Croatia do jobs.

There is no such thing as Scotland "doing a job" - we've choked on far, far smaller minnows than Malta before, especially away from home.
          Right, so this time - which is the time we're talking about - Scotland 'did a job' and prevailed in fairly convincing fashion? (This board does confuse me at times. Perhaps it's not purely football wherein I'm on a different page...)

Comment

Anorak Smith wrote:

I also think that the 'who am I to tell Wayne Rooney what to do?' question, will come back and bite Allardyce on the arse. That seems like a bloody ridiculous thing for a manager to say, and a complete cop out. You certainly wouldn't hear it from Mourinho, so I'm not sure why Sam Allardyce feels he can't take responsibility for letting Rooney playing wherever he felt like, and if he didn't he should give him a bloody good shoeing.
            He might have bawled him out behind closed doors. Fair play if he didn't want to slag him off to the press though.

(Maybe not)

Comment

Didi Hamann has just claimed on RTÉ that James McClean is a 'massive weapon'

No argument there, Didi.

Comment

Anyone have a stream? I'm stuck in Sweden this week. Would pay to watch, but that's not possible either.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

exciting opening 15 minutes from branislav ivanovic. He's deflected a jeff hendrick shot past his keeper, and he's kicked glen whelan in the nuts

Comment

Serbia like a dry ball.

Comment

Iceland one up in Ukraine. Hu!

Comment

Will there be a Kenny Cunningham Balkan defence moment in the final minute?

Comment

Iceland's left back Skulason stretchered off, and soon after Yarmolenko rifles in a rebound to level things up.

Sheva, taking charge of Ukraine, is wearing a cornflower blue shirt with chinos.

Comment

The Welsh Xavi makes it 2-0 with a speculative effort which, I think it's fair to say, the keeper should have stopped.

Comment

Randolph seems determined to push the ball back into danger areas every time he makes a save.
                                This Serbia side are utter pish, though.
                                If mexico get a fucking grip they can score again.

Comment

Classic Ireland

Comment

This is right up there with Trap's greatest hits.

Comment

Robbie who?

Comment

It would be an understatement to suggest Serbia switched off for the equaliser there. They unplugged, turned out the lights and went to bed with a nice warm cup of horlicks as well.

Comment

Good lord. Alan Hansen must be turning in his grave.

Comment

It's been entertaining.
                                            Awful decision by the ref. for Serbia's penalty.

Probably a good point.

Comment

Jesus

The Serbian 'keeper is brutal.

Comment

Really looking forward to Dunphy & Brady.

Pity Giles has retired.

Comment

that was a woegeous penalty decision, but I will never understand how serbia missed those two chances. I fucking hated that camera angle, I had no idea where the ball was going a lot of the time.

I love you Daryl Murphy. You are clearly awful, but cometh the hour etc. He nearly set up long seconds before with a great flick on.

That was still very grim. The weather turned the match into a farce.

Comment

Difficult to decide which team was more shit. Classic autumn qualifier match.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X