Handball 2016/17

The coverage or the matches themselves.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

The coverage

If I see something, I will post it on this thread

Comment

Handball 2016/17

The men's World Championship starts on Wednesday in France. Here's the competition mascots, Rock (who appears to have been on the waccy baccy) and Koolette (modelled on the meerkat off the insurance adverts). The trophy also appears to be based on Frank Skinner's version of the World Cup.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Yep this starts tonight with France v Brazil. It's on Eurosport player which has a very tempting £20 for a year deal at the moment.

I should note that the international scene isn't to as high a standard as the club game. You'll see better teams in the champions league.

Which has got me thinking about which sports don't suit (or allow) for the top level of the sport to be national games. American football would never have an international game would it? Even if it was as popular as football there wouldn't be enough time for national teams to practice their plays.

How does the pro bowl work?

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Someone else's preview and odds

Comment

Handball 2016/17

31-16 France. It wasn't that close in fact.

The Pro Bowl rosters are set by a vote, with participation by coaches, players and fans. Some variation of that is the norm for North American "All Star" games in general.

There actually is a gridiron "World Championship" among "national" teams, but it is virtually unknown here (despite the fact that the US has won every one it has participated in). Both professionals and current college players are formally ineligible for the US team.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

The first game today was similarly one sided. Slovenia beat Angola 42 -25.

It's a real problem. The IHF has to hold a world championship but Europe has much stronger teams (and even then there are a handful of teams in Europe that are better than anyone else).

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Levin wrote: Yep this starts tonight with France v Brazil. It's on Eurosport player which has a very tempting £20 for a year deal at the moment.

I should note that the international scene isn't to as high a standard as the club game. You'll see better teams in the champions league.

Which has got me thinking about which sports don't suit (or allow) for the top level of the sport to be national games. American football would never have an international game would it? Even if it was as popular as football there wouldn't be enough time for national teams to practice their plays.

How does the pro bowl work?
                  Australian Rules Football similarly. There is an AFL International Cup, which is very deliberately not called a World Cup because Australia don't participate.

The AFL European Championships were held last year in what looks like a cricket pitch next to a school in London. Both the men's and women's finals ended up as GB vs Ireland. They're low quality fare, so here are the highlights rather than the full matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClE6SQDUbL8
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGC7vGchFu0

Comment

Handball 2016/17

The mascots are a bear (Rok) and a weasel (Koolette) btw. Despite being almost totally awful I do like the names are derived from a roucoulette ( a shot with spin like below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k9wuytIFk

Two more games down, Japan lost to Russia by 10 and in a more competitive game Macedonia beat Tunisia 34 - 30.

Edit: USA people, BeIN are offering "full coverage".

Comment

Handball 2016/17

At least at the moment, BeIn's "full coverage" has been limited to their higher numbered digital channels, what with the midweek football matches in Europe and their apparent commitment to broadcast Real Madrid TV on BeIn 3 during the European evening. I imagine that will get a bit better for the knockout stages, but given that they also have the CAN, the schedule is going to be sub-optimal.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Luka Karabatic, France's starting pivot, tore an ankle ligament in the match against Japan and is out for the tournament.

France are calling up Dika Mem, a 19 year old who plays for Barcelona.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Sorry for not posting, I've not been on here much.

Today sees the final at 17:30 in France. Host France are playing surprise finalists Norway, Norway don't really have any big name players and most of the team plays in the Danish league. I really an't see beyond France for the game today, however there have been a few surprises in the knockout rounds, Hungary beating Denmark, Qatar beating Germany (though Germany tend to underperform relative to the strength of their league and Qatar, as mentioned before, are stuffed with ringers).

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Champions league quarter finals are set.

In the women.

• FC Midtjylland vs HC Vardar
                            • Metz Handball vs Györi Audi ETO KC
                            • CSM Bucuresti vs FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria
                            • Buducnost vs Larvik (B2)

First leg for these is this weekend.

In the men.

THW Kiel vs FC Barcelona Lassa, SG Flensburg-Handewitt vs HC Varda, MOL-Pick Szeged vs Paris Saint-Germain, and Telekom Veszprém vs Montpellier HB. The holders Kielce were knocked out by Montpellier.

In domestic news, Larvik HK lost for the first time in 16 years. Which is ridiculous. They haven't lost a domestic game in 16 years! And it's their first home lost in 18.

Comment

Handball 2016/17

Handball tonight.

SEHA League final official streams

3rd place match: HC Meshkov Brest - HC Prvo plinarsko drustvo Zagreb @ 17:30 BST

Final: HC Vardar - Telekom Veszprém @ 20:00 BST

SEHA League features teams from Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Macedonia, Slovakia and Slovenia. It's sort of a regional champions league.

Comment

I regret calling this 16/17 now rather than just having a rolling thread.

This post is just giving me somewhere to vent about England Handball's competition re-brand.

My annoyance starts with this.

The new logo for the newly renamed top league in England. Or rather the top two leagues, for as far as I can see it's the same name and logo for men and women.

The more I look at it the more the red of the ball seems to be a different shade to the rest of the logo. I can't find a decent image to be sure as the only location I've seen it is twitter and facebook and they do awful things to images.

It doesn't scream handball does it? Beyond the actual word on the badge that is. I guess the two colour goalposts are a handball thing but they are the wrong shape. Even more annoyingly if you made the letter x height of premier the same as handball it would give you enough space on the edges to make the goal 2x3.

All in all it looks like a clipart logo for a 5 a side football league. I'm not asking that an amateur organisation with limited funds spends money on a competition logo but maybe don't have a competition logo? They've survived until now without one and this just looks shit.

I've not even come to the name have I? A board agreed to rename their top level competitions to Premier Handball League. What amazing lack of imagination. What stunning lack of thought about how search engines work. I'd have been the first to admit that Super 8 (the previous name) was a silly name but why just ape football?

Oh and the second level mens competition is the National League (North or South) So it's called national but isn't national? Smart.

It's also been pointed out by other people that it could probably do with having England or English in there somewhere. It isn't the 1860's, this isn't the first handball league in the world.

Oh it's just so rubbish.

Comment

Can you not just edit the title on your original post to make it a rolling one?

You're right about the branding with all of the above, the non-national National League is a problem in football too with the Conference's second tier.

I had a mooch around Hannover's handball arena last week, though sadly it wasn't being used for a match. Seems like a slick, professional set up there.

Comment

No, you have to ask Snake to edit the title at the moment. At least until we go up to v5 of the board software.

I do want to see some live Bundesliga games at some point.

Comment

Hello everyone,

London GD Women are playing in the EHF Challenge Cup this season. They have been entered at the third round and are playing against ACME-Zalgiris Kaunas of Lithuania. In what I believe is a first for a British club we're hosting the home leg (normally, to save money, both legs have been played away on consecutive days).

The away leg is this weekend in Lithuania and the home leg is at 1800 18th November at Medway Park in Gillingham. Tickets are £5 each (u18 free) and can be bought at the link. I can't promise that it will be the most competitive game but it will be the highest level handball to played in the UK since the Olympics.

As we're an amateur team and hosting a European game is rather expensive we've been running a crowdfunder to raise the £6k it will cost to host the game.
                                      Last edited by Levin; 08-11-2017, 11:28.

Comment

Jesus. I sometimes think how ridiculous UEFA is as a governing body but then I see some handball news and am reminded that they are the very model of common sense.

The mens Euro championship in 2020 is being held in Sweden, Norway and, oh, Austria.

This came to my attention because I saw a press release for qualification. 24 countries are competing in the finals. There are 32 entrants for the qualifying stage going for 20 places (hosts and reigning champions already qualified).

For some reason, while teams have been split into seeded pots for the qualifying round the criteria isn't that granular as there will be a mini draw between Bosnia-Herzegovina, Netherlands, Portugal two of whom will go to pot 2 and the third to pot 3.

To be positive. The 24 team format should work ok. 6 groups of 4. Top two in each group qualify for one of two super sixes.

Comment

Man, the Handball Federation of Montenegro have a sweet crest.

Comment

So are the groups going to be split such that there are two in each host country?

Comment

That's it exactly. And then the main rounds (super six) will be one in Sweden and another in Austria. Then there will be a final four (semis on Sat, final on Sun) in Sweden.

These tournaments are great value for fans as most tickets are sold as double headers in the first couple of rounds. In the France last year there were 4 games a day at some venues.

Comment

Tickets are on sale for the England handball finals weekend in Derby, 5th & 6th May. linky thing

Age group and shield finals on the Saturday and another age group and the main events on Sunday. Early bird tickets are on sales now and it's £3.50 for a day or £5.50 for both.

GD men are in the men's final against North East Manchester Hawks while GD women are playing a semi (delayed by snow) this weekend against the Bath University team. If they win they'll play Coventry Sharks in the final.

In politics news, in part to forestall an independent UK finals weekend England Handball have introduced a playoff between English and Scottish teams to determine a British champion and European qualification. Which sounds fine doesn't it? Except, Scotland handball isn't quite as strict as England with regards to player registrations so there are concerns that there may be some jiggery pokery. On top of which the lack of paperwork would mean that a Scottish winner wouldn't be able to play in Europe anyway (all this is just as I understand it).

Comment

We have a men's "Final Four", and it includes three French clubs (PSG, Montpellier and Nantes), as well as Vardar Skopje (the holders).

A number of articles in the French press as to how this demonstrates how dominant French clubs have become due to a combination of PSG's unprecedented budget (twice that of any other club), the decline of several Spanish clubs following the economic crisis, and the increasingly high profile of the sport in the wake of the national teams' (men's and women's) recent success.

Comment

(N Karabatic is on over €1m a year - that's without his betting earnings...)

In the men's EHF cup finals, the Germans are bossing it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...Cup#Final_four

Comment

Working...
                                                    X