NFL 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    The behaviour (expected or real) of sports fans en masse is one of those classic examples of trans-Atlantic head-shaking, a mutual incomprehension between different species. You're supposed to riot when you lose.
    That happens here too.

I don’t know if the massive crowds that appear after a win are disproportionately white. But the people that get busted for punching horses and knocking things over always seem to be white guys.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 06-02-2018, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      I was doing a genuine SMH when I saw that young Philly fan braying loudly in front of the car they'd just overturned. I'm like 'Dude, there are cameras everywhere. Your life just got a whole lot more complicated."
      If there were no consequences, how fucking cool would it be to push a car on its side? I bet it feels great.

Comment

I can't tell if you're doing a 'bit', or you'd really like to do that.

Comment

He's an Angeleno

Comment

Especially one of those cube cars. It would be a step up from flipping tractor tires.

Comment

Cubes are very narrow. You could flip one by leaning on it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                If there were no consequences, how fucking cool would it be to push a car on its side? I bet it feels great.
                I used to live at the top of Capel Street In dublin for about 5 years (three of them in college) and every night I'd drunkenly stumble past a smart car parked halfway up the street. I don't think a single night went by when I didn't wrestle with the desire to tip it over. It looked so inviting. I have no idea how I managed to resist the temptation.

HP I know that american sports (particularly football) have big cross community followings. It's just that if it was a largely black crowd that did that stuff that they did in Philadelphia, there would be teargas and baton rounds, and christ knows what else. Sports fans on the other hand are just blowing off steam.

Comment

Wasn't that in the World's Strongest Man competitions? Is that still on?

Comment

Certainly is. Was won by a Brit this year, too. In Botswana.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      I used to live at the top of Capel Street In dublin for about 5 years (three of them in college) and every night I'd drunkenly stumble past a smart car parked halfway up the street. I don't think a single night went by when I didn't wrestle with the desire to tip it over. It looked so inviting. I have no idea how I managed to resist the temptation.

HP I know that american sports (particularly football) have big cross community followings. It's just that if it was a largely black crowd that did that stuff that they did in Philadelphia, there would be teargas and baton rounds, and christ knows what else. Sports fans on the other hand are just blowing off steam.
                      Certainly, if it were a largely black crowd protesting injustice, especially police brutality, there'd be teargas and baton rounds. I don't know what would happen if a largely black crowd were out celebrating a victory. There's no example of that. The "blackest" sport is basketball, but the fanbase for the NBA is very diverse, and the fans that can actually afford to go to games are disproportionately white.

Also, the Super Bowl is unique, not only because football is so popular, but because it's a one game thing. The people who got drunk and tore shit up in Philly went into the bar that afternoon having no idea if they'd feel joy our heartbreak five hours later. That happens in the other sports when there's a game seven, but there usually isn't a game seven, so the emotional swing is not quite so sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Certainly is. Was won by a Brit this year, too. In Botswana.
                        Did they do the Africa stone??? I'm a big fan of the Africa stone.

Comment

Not joking. A few people getting together and doing something like that, it probably feels exhilarating.

So it turns out that Foles called the Philly Special play, and Pederson agreed.

https://twitter.com/insidetheNFL/status/960988157264068608

Comment

Not joking. A few people getting together and doing something like that, it probably feels exhilarating.
                            A'ight. If I come down to sell a script, we'll flip a car to celebrate. This should in no way be considered a pre-confession of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                              Phew, that was a welcome result. If the Pats had won yet again (especially if the league office had overturned any more legit opposition touchdowns to help them), I was on the verge of giving up on the NFL altogether.

Am I right in thinking that the NFC East becomes the first division where all four teams have won a Super Bowl? The highest I can think of for any of the others is three of the four (Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos for the AFC West, Dolphins, Pats and Jets for the AFC East).
                              Obvs Right.

It was something that absolutely haunted me over the past 20 years.

WHO WOULD BE THE FIRST DIVISION WITH ALL SB CHAMPS????????

1) But now the NFC East is officially the greatest division in the game. 13 titles, all 4 teams clear. (Boys-Jints-Skins-Iggles)

2) The AFC East was closest after 2001, because the Bills had only lost by 1. 8 titles, 3 teams. (Fins-Jets-Pats)

3) The NFC West had missed out by 5 points, with the Cards losing by 4. 7 titles, 3 teams. (49ers-Seahawks-Rams)

4) AFC West had the Chargers lose in a final by a shitload. 7 titles, 3 teams. (Chiefs-Raiders-Broncos)

5) Between the Panthers and Falcons missing winning by a combined 5 points (I'll count the Falcons as a tie in regulation, the Panthers had lost by 3,) I'd put the NFC South next. (Saints-Bucs)

6-7)Despite a shitload of titles due to the Steelers, I'd put the AFC North below the NFC South because of the Browns factor, yet above the NFC Central, by way of the Bengals losing two very close ones and the Vikings shitting the bed on 4 occasions (AFC North - 8 titles, 2 teams - Ravens-Steelers) (NFC Central - 5 titles, 2 teams. Pack-Bears)

8) AFC South. 1 team winning a title, 1 team losing one, and two who won a few playoff games here or there.

So....the next question that will haunt me...

WHO WILL BE THE NEXT DIVISION TO HAVE ALL TEAMS WIN A TITLE???????

Awesome vid of Foles.

It's been very, very hard for me working with a shitload of Iggle fans (I walked past Mr. A with my face buried in my hands, and he laughed the most evil laugh and yelled "YEEEAHHHH NOW THAS WHAT I WANNA SEE!!!!!!")

But hey, can't say they don't love their team or they're willing to eat horseshit for them.
                              Last edited by jason voorhees; 07-02-2018, 01:54. Reason: 8 titles for AFC North, not 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X