French police misconduct thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janik wrote: That also happens. Some Women like to sunbathe topless, but that is not really acceptable in certain countries. The USA, for example.

In fact, I'm wondering if the 'morality' bit in that quoted French law was more aimed at nudists and the like than Muslims. That it works as a catch-all for any people not behaving like us.
    Indeed.

Comment

Don't most European/North American countries have public beaches where clothing is optional? That could easily be extended to beaches where a specific type of clothing was permitted, if necessary. But I think we all know that's not really the issue don't we?

Comment

The situation is fubar now.

The burkini ban is crap but having been to the coast in France it's pretty weird to be on the beach in your togs and a woman comes down wrapped in what looks like her bed linen that then sags off her when she comes out of the water. At the same time her man and kids are lolling about in togs.

Comment

It's not far off how your (great) granny would have dressed on the beach. Lacitie (fer sure sp) is a bullshit place for racists to hide behind. Civilisation's best hope is probably Sarkozy as next president as Hollande looks ruined and wounded and probably couldn't beat Le Pen. And the far right agenda becomes even more the mainstream as the old established right tack further toward the darkness. Woo-hoo.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Don't most European/North American countries have public beaches where clothing is optional? That could easily be extended to beaches where a specific type of clothing was permitted, if necessary. But I think we all know that's not really the issue don't we?
            Exactly.

It may seem like the same issue in the abstract, but people don't live in that abstract world. Asking somebody to put a top on is not, in any likelihood, going to effectively exclude them from that beach nor is it likely to make them feel humiliated and/or alienated. After all, these people - mostly women, I assume - probably wear a top most of the rest of the time they're in public.

And would Hasidic Jews, Catholic Nuns, conservative Mennonites (probably not many in France, but you never know), or people covered up because they burn very easily be told they're wearing too many clothes? Unlikely.

Comment

Working...
            X