French police misconduct thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nazi pig bastard scum from the Nazi pig bastard pen.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/overzealous-french-police-enforce-burkini-8693308#ICID=sharebar_twitter

It's not really police misconduct though, is it? I mean, fuck the pigs, obv. But they are enforcing the law fairly straightforwardly. The law is absolutely 100% racist, and the hideous racist French state has plenty form for that.

Comment

"French Fascism Latest" would be my preferred title.

Or "Liberté and Egalité are for white women"

Comment

TonTon wrote: It's not really police misconduct though, is it? I mean, fuck the pigs, obv. But they are enforcing the law fairly straightforwardly. The law is absolutely 100% racist, and the hideous racist French state has plenty form for that.
        You're just misunderstanding French satire

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/24/i-created-the-burkini-to-give-women-freedom-not-to-take-it-away?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=soc_3156#link_time=1472 019473

Comment

TonTon wrote: It's not really police misconduct though, is it? I mean, fuck the pigs, obv. But they are enforcing the law fairly straightforwardly. The law is absolutely 100% racist, and the hideous racist French state has plenty form for that.
            No, I don't agree.

It's fascistic and racist law, and should be ignored by the local gendarmes.

Unless they condone it, which exposes them as racist and fascistic themselves.

No. They did this because they agreed with it.

Comment

How exactly is the law framed, and how is it meant to be enforced? Are the police charged with ensuring no-one, anywhere, wears a burkha or one of its derivatives, or do they only respond to specific complaints from members of the public?

Comment

The law states

"Access to beaches is forbidden to any person not properly dressed in accordance with morality, secularism, hygiene and safety."

It explicitly identifies "beachwear manifesting an ostentatious religious affiliation" as contrary to these principles.

Note that the woman in the story wasn't wearing a burkini. She was wearing a scarf around her head, a loose top with long sleeves and leggings.

But it's basically up to interpretation if/how it's enforced.

I tend to agree with TonTon. It's not really misconduct for racist cops to enforce racist laws. But fuck the cops anyway; and fuck the other beachgoers who reportedly applauded after armed police humiliated a woman into removing clothes.

Comment

Yeah, this is mental, the woman isn't even wearing a "burkini", she just appears to be wearing clothes at the beach, something many people do. However, she looks a bit Arabic, so call the police.

Comment

France's all-out charm offensive to tackle the alienation of its muslim population continues apace huh

Comment

A western democracy has a law on its statutes about women's clothing that cites "morals". Christ on a bike (or some secular equivalent)

Comment

By suscribing on WSC, I wanted some intellectual change of scenery, and this sole thread fullfill all my dreams about this (excuse me for the poor english).

In fact, this is not a law banning burkini out of the beaches, just acts from local authorities. I will later write a post to explain why these acts from local authorities are not a scandal, although I'm not sure they are politically relevant.

But first, as a (a bit trolling but not so much-)appetizer for my interlocutors, I must confesse I'm very surprised by the success of the bushite key tenent in Great Britain.

So many people absolutely convinced that, when a foreign country sets up political institutions or pass a law to protect what it thinks to be his standards of behaviour, they can fell authorized to have ultimate opinions about this, it's very surprising.

For my part, contrary to you, I'm a son of the struggles against colonialisme and a defender of the rights of the people to self-determination.

Be faced to such a self-rigtheous imperialism is very disarming.

Comment

Welcome to the board lost.

It's interesting that the supposed law being broken is about morals and secularism and that by wearing more clothes that's against morals.

Seriously fucked up and obviously racist which is only going to disenfranchise more Muslims and drive them to support people that claim to represent them.

Banning anything rarely works, banning something that is part of an identity is only going to backfire.

Comment

Precisely. Equality for all, as long as it's by our rules and you don't get any funny ideas about what you can put on your own body at the beach.

I wonder how many Muslim women who are bearing the brunt of this bullshit have a problem with Western beachwear? Doesn't seem to be many.

Comment

Trivial observation, but the burkini looks like a very practical item of clothing. Protection for people with sensitive skin who don't want to get cancer. They could be especially useful for bald women who don't wish to wear a wig or flaunt their shiny pates on the beach. They look good too.

Comment

I wonder how the western media would react if tourists in Muslim countries such as Turkey or Egypt asked women to cover up for moral reasons.

Comment

So many people absolutely convinced that, when a foreign country sets up political institutions or pass a law to protect what it thinks to be his standards of behaviour, they can fell authorized to have ultimate opinions about this, it's very surprising.

If your point is that British people are hypocritical to comment because our own country enacts laws and policies as bad or worse (thinking of Yarls Wood and other refugee detention camps in particular) then I can see where you're coming from. However, I don't think any of the posters on this thread are saying "Look at France, it's disgusting, not like good old Britain."

But if you're saying that these local authorities' actions are not racist or misogynistic, then nah mate. It's not 'imperialist' to express solidarity for women being forced off beaches and forced to undress by weapon-wielding cops.

Comment

Hang on a second, criticising another country's laws/actions is "self-righteous imperialism"?

Criticising Saudi Arabia? North Korea? Israel? the USA? The UK? Hungary? the Soviet Union under communism? Russia now? The Assad regime? South Africa under apartheid?
                                    All of that is off limits?

Comment

http://newsthump.com/2016/08/24/fat-old-man-in-micro-thong-offended-by-burkini/

Comment

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote: I wonder how the western media would react if tourists in Muslim countries such as Turkey or Egypt asked women to cover up for moral reasons.
                                        Well, it's fairly commonly done, isn't it? Tourists are often reminded that visiting certain cultural or religious sites involves covering the shoulders, legs, bare head, etc. I'm an atheist, but am asked to wear a yarmulke when entering a synagogue.

Comment

From 1930' French Algeria- "Aren't you pretty? Unveil yourself!"

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Le Dragon de Gaziantep
                                            I wonder how the western media would react if tourists in Muslim countries such as Turkey or Egypt asked women to cover up for moral reasons.
                                            Well, it's fairly commonly done, isn't it? Tourists are often reminded that visiting certain cultural or religious sites involves covering the shoulders, legs, bare head, etc. I'm an atheist, but am asked to wear a yarmulke when entering a synagogue.
                                            I meant on the beach like happened in France, should have been clearer WOM.

Covering up to enter a mosque or church isn't the issue here.

Comment

That also happens. Some Women like to sunbathe topless, but that is not really acceptable in certain countries. The USA, for example.

In fact, I'm wondering if the 'morality' bit in that quoted French law was more aimed at nudists and the like than Muslims. That it works as a catch-all for any people not behaving like us.

Comment

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:
                                                Originally posted by WOM

I'm not sure where is relevant, though. If you offend the sensibilities - be they cultural or religious or ethnic - of the 'host' country, you're bound to get pushback of some sort.

Comment

Le Dragon de Gaziantep wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by WOM

There's a major distinction to be made between public and private spaces.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X