Italian Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Earthquake

There's been a 6.4 earthquake near Norcia, south of Perugia, and within 50 km of L'Aquilia, the historic centre of which still hasn't recovered from a quake almost ten years ago.

Tumors felt in Rome, Napoli and Venice, with reports of at least one 4 plus aftershock from Lazio.

The mayor of a tow near the epicenter said simply that it wasn't there anymore.

Italian Earthquake

That's no good.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Shit. I was in Norcia just last September. A region every bit as beautiful as Tuscany.

So far only six reported dead, which is a small mercy.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

It seems to be getting worse by the hour. 37 dead now according to the BBC.
        It's the total inability to control this sort of thing that is most terrifying I reckon. Those houses (remains) look like they've been there for hundreds of years quite peacefully. Does Italy have a recent history of geological intemperance, Vesuvius aside?

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Never mind. Wiki has answered my question.

Worryingly it appears they seem to come in groups.
          I'd completely forgotten about L'Aquila in 2009.

......Edit......

YUT got in there first. And I didn't read Ursus's post properly either. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

This is the country where seismologists were prosecuted for earthquake deaths.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Here is a map of the area most directly affected

38 dead, many of whom are children. Dozens still missing. And there are still aftershocks. People are understandably afraid to return to their homes.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Worth noting that there has been an even more serious (6.8) earthquake reported in Myanmar/Burma.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Donald Trump will find a way to blame the Muslims for all that.

There was a pretty bad earthquake in 1997 in Assisi, which is close to Perugia. It did great damage to the basilica there with its magnificent frescoes by Giotto, Cimabue and Cavallini. At first it was thought that the Giottos would be lost forever, but the basilica and frescos were expertly restored.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

It's all the clapping at Corbyn rallies.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

It's a tectonically complex area, with the Adriatic microplate rubbing up against both the Eurasian and African plates. Looking at those maps it's perhaps surprising there aren't more major tremors.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

There have been at various periods in the region's history, and it looks as if we are now in another period of high activity.

Death toll is now "above 70".

The one positive comparison of this quake with L'Aquilia is that it occccured in the dead of night in the middle of peak holiday season. L'Aqulia was only a 4.9, but killed over 300 in a significantly more populous city.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

Probably about time that Italy considered passing laws requiring buildings to be retrofitted for earthquake proofing.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

G-Man wrote: Donald Trump will find a way to blame the Muslims for all that.

There was a pretty bad earthquake in 1997 in Assisi, which is close to Perugia. It did great damage to the basilica there with its magnificent frescoes by Giotto, Cimabue and Cavallini. At first it was thought that the Giottos would be lost forever, but the basilica and frescos were expertly restored.
                            Ah, I remember my Catholic school raising funds to help the town of Assisi. St. Francis's namesake knows a thing or two about earthquakes. We might have even sent over some experts to help with the reconstruction.

Comment

Italian Earthquake

If a 6.4 earthquake hit Japan then nobody would notice. The trains might be delayed by half an hour.

If anybody Italy needs to be prosecuted then it is, surprise surprise, the politicians. They know there will be earthquakes yet they allow buildings that are not earthquake resistant to be built.

Comment

Working...
                              X