BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the same time, he's hardly given a bum rap, is he? Having (rightly) hogged pretty much all UK press/TV attention in tennis over the past half-decade, I doubt one ancient, tiny transgression - if indeed it really was such - has really been of much hindrance to Murray or the hype surrounding him anywhere in the UK.

Comment

Bit spoils for choice as we've currently got our greatest ever track distance runner, our greatest ever tennis player, our greatest ever female cyclist, and four men who could stake a claim to being the greatest male cyclist.

Comment

Oh yes and the greatest swimmer

Comment

The BBC should really announce the SPOTY in advance for the next four years, because the Olympics is the only footage they'll have.

Comment

François dan un fez wrote: Bit spoils for choice as we've currently got our greatest ever track distance runner, our greatest ever tennis player, our greatest ever female cyclist, and four men who could stake a claim to being the greatest male cyclist.
            But, notably, none of them could stake a realistic claim to be the greatest of all time in their discipline. They are 'only' the best at it that Britain has ever produced. But there is one other gold medalist from these Games where that isn't the case; her achievements are literally unprecedented in her sport. That is Charlotte Dujardin.
            If it was down to pure achievement, she would win comfortably. But it isn't. So she won't. There is a value in the award being partially performance, partially popularity contest.

Comment

In the year of Brexit it would be good to see a Muslim refugee who prays openly on the track get the popular vote.

The more I see and hear of Murray the more I like him, his stance against the doping and sexism in his sport coupled with his obvious knowledge of its history make him very likeable. He's also having to beat two of the most popular players ever in Federer and Nadal.

Comment

Jessica Ennis-Hill retires from athletics

She's the record holder for most SPOTY podiums without winning it, fact fans.

Comment

No more than an outside chance of a PB this year.

Comment

Given that the main UK award is a lock, here are the contenders for the Welsh SPOTY ;

Paralympic javelin gold medallist Hollie Arnold, who enjoyed an unbeaten season in 2016.

Wales international and Real Madrid Champions League winning footballer Gareth Bale, who was part of the Euro 2016 team that reached the semi-finals.

Olympic cycling team pursuit gold medallist Elinor Barker, who also made an immediate impact after turning to individual competition.

Paralympic shot put gold medallist Aled Sion Davies, who also won gold in the shot put and discus in the European Championships, setting World and Paralympic records along the way.

Owain Doull, another Olympic cycling team pursuit gold medallist, who has enjoyed his best season to date.

Taekwondo athlete Jade Jones, who successfully retained her Olympic title and also became European Champion in 2016.

Olympic sailor Hannah Mills, who upgraded her London 2012 silver medal to gold in the 470 class at the 2016 Games in Rio.

The reigning IBF World Featherweight Champion Lee Selby, who defended his title this year.
                    Jade Jones is my vote.

Comment

What's happened to the quote on the post above?

Anyway, the top three in Welsh SPOTY were ;

1) Jade Jones
                      2) Gareth Bale
                      3) Elinor Barker

The national football squad won Team of the Year, Chris Coleman received a Special Recognition Award for the Euro 2016 campaign and Coach of the Year was Robin Williams who has coached Helen Glover and Heather Stanning in recent years.

Comment

Quotes on the whole board are borked.

One can see them by highlighting the space, or one can use another tag, like italics or a colour.

Comment

IMHO it should be Farah, who is arguably the GOAT in his event, whereas Murray is perhaps in the bottom half of the all-time Top 20 in his. But I know that's not how people vote.

Comment

I'm a little intrigued by BT Sport's Action Woman award, and have been meaning to mention it on this thread for a while... finally getting round to doing so minutes after voting closed!

Shortlisted sportspersons are:-
                            Nicola Adams (Boxing)
                            Rachel Atherton (Mountain Bike)
                            Hannah Cockcroft (Para-Athlete)
                            Kadeema Cox (Para-Cyclist)
                            Charlotte Dujardin (Dressage)
                            Maddie Hinch (Hockey)
                            Jade Jones (Taekwondo)
                            Jo Konta (Tennis)
                            Sarah Storey (Para-Cyclist)
                            Laura Kenny (Cyclist)

Despite my banging on for Ms Dujardin as the best current British Athlete in circulation in terms of pure achievement (she is the only one I know of who would be the unargued G.O.A.T. in her discipline), I voted for Maddie Hinch. Partly as BT Sport have at least got the right member of the GB Hockey team on their shortlist!

Comment

With all due respect to her, how does Jo Konta make that list? She's not even in the world Top 8.

Comment

Oh and Farah the G.O.A.T. of distance running? Well one could argue that, I guess. But I don't think it's an argument that could be won. Brilliant though Farah is, he is still definitely behind Haile Gebrselassie in the all-time standings. Both have won and defended Olympic titles and thrown in World Championships at the same distance to boot, but it's times and world records that mark Farah down a little. Just take a glance at the all-time list for 10,000m, which is where the two Men are most comparable given the slight differences in their best distance.

Medals, particularly Olympic medals, matter more than times of course , which is why Farah is very much in the shake-up for No.2 alongside Bekele, Viren, Zatopek. He (or the others mentioned) can't match Gebrselassie's mix of the two, though.

Comment

Konta is a bit hard to justify in that list, yes. But then Murray's run of success in the BBC award is also dubious on the dry facts (if Farah is maybe-but-probably-not the G.O.A.T., Murray is definitely-certainly not).
                                  The profile of the sport, and the depth of competition, must play into that a bit. That and BT Sport having the rights to show Women's Tennis...

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: What's happened to the quote on the post above?

1) Jade Jones
                                    2) Gareth Bale
                                    3) Elinor Barker
                                    I bet there was a party in Fflint last night.

Comment

Janik wrote: Oh and Farah the G.O.A.T. of distance running? Well one could argue that, I guess. But I don't think it's an argument that could be won. Brilliant though Farah is, he is still definitely behind Haile Gebrselassie in the all-time standings. Both have won and defended Olympic titles and thrown in World Championships at the same distance to boot, but it's times and world records that mark Farah down a little. Just take a glance at the all-time list for 10,000m, which is where the two Men are most comparable given the slight differences in their best distance.

Medals, particularly Olympic medals, matter more than times of course , which is why Farah is very much in the shake-up for No.2 alongside Bekele, Viren, Zatopek. He (or the others mentioned) can't match Gebrselassie's mix of the two, though.
                                      Fair enough on G.O.A.T. I had forgotten that Gebreselassie took the WR down from 26:52.23 to 26:22.75, which has only been bettered by 5 seconds since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_metres_world_record_progression

Murray might be seen as the last SPOTY who owed some of his dominance to the BBC having Wimbledon. OTOH he is a terrific player, a true artist of the court, who was unlucky to be playing in the same era as three of the all-time Top 10 (or even Top 5).

Comment

1. A.Murray - 33.09%
                                        2. A.Brownlee - 16.27%
                                        3. Skelton - 14.60%
                                        4. Farah - 7.28%
                                        All others

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Ray de Galles
                                          What's happened to the quote on the post above?

1) Jade Jones
                                          2) Gareth Bale
                                          3) Elinor Barker
                                          I bet there was a party in Fflint last night.
                                          I've been to Fflint. Didn't strike me as a party town.

Comment

Turns out the BT Sport Action Woman award was presented last Monday. The winner was Rachel Atherton. Which sounds an eminently sensible choice, based on the year she has reportedly had.
                                            Like Murray with the BBC award, Atherton has been kind of dominant; she also won this in 2013, and was third last year for good measure.

Comment

If the BBC still had horse racing, they would have given the Cheltenham Festival much more than the cursory five seconds they gave it last night.

The sight of the former champion Sprinter Sacre, with people hoping for renaissance rather than expecting it after a long absence, looming four fences out, cruising past the others between three and two out, and then jumping that second last majestically was, for me and many racing fans, THE sporting moment of the year.

The Impossible Dream, they called it

Didn't even get a mention.

Comment

Indeed, to all that. It's also a shame that C4 never allowed their races to go on Youtube etc - you can only get the RacingUK/ATR commentaries on most classics - as Simon Holt was able to send a tingle up the spine on many of the big ones; Kauto Star's last King George was the best for me.

Comment

Also SPOTY as a programme is now sport-for-sport-haters, and has been for some years. Far easier to show everyone in the venue doing a stupid clap than bother with recalling a great sporting performance.

Comment

Watching the Bundesliga today, I learned that Chile's SPOTY is Vidal.

Er, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X